Couple of strange electrical problems

haydw

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
First of all - sometimes when I turn off using the key, the dipped beam headlight still stays lit (no side light), the indicators and horn still works and brake lights work. All other things are off - fuel pump, RID, oil / charge indicator, engine etc. After about 2 minutes it all shuts off. This appears to be totally at random. Its annoying, and my alarm enables as normal after a minute or so regardless. I thought it might be the ignition switch but the side light isnt lit. This has been happening for a while.

Second - the bike has been stood for a while, I have changed the fuel gauge sender in the tank and the bike has been running fine. I turned the bike off when I got to the bike shop, then when I came to it to MOT it or leave when I turned the key the fuel pump wouldnt run and the bike wouldnt start. It turned over no problem but wouldnt fire. The alarm unit is brand new as I had to replace it after the lay up as the internal lithium battery had failed. The alarm when active wont allow the starter to turn and the alarm was definately disengaged. It went home in a van.

Come last night I was going to test the fuel power supply at the multiplug under the tank, I came to put the key in the bike and the fuel pump kicked in and the bike fired. Am at a loss to explain why. Another fuel pump is on its way from ebay - I am thinking I may have damaged the bag fuel filter on the top of the pump and its sucked crap in and the trip home in the van has sloshed fuel around and its dislodged.

Its bloody annoying either way and cant afford to be left stranded in the middle of nowhere to be rescued by a van again.

Sounds like the switch bit of the ignition switch.
It's the white bit in the bottom of the ign switch

Look for the little red dot on the side of the ign barrel, and there should be a little screw behind this which when loosened will allow the switch part to come out.
Its a service part

Ignition switch electrical part with wiring | ELA06103
Fits R1100GS (09/1993 - 08/1999), R1100R (09/1994 - 08/2001), R1150GS... Show All...

Associated BMW part: 61322306103 (61 32 2 306 103)

view larger image Larger Image Please note The wire length of this item is 430mm.
Please see ELA62821 for the grub screw to mount this item.
If you are interested in an equivalent used part click here

from Motorworks site

Re: lights staying on
It's the load relief relay contacts sticking, happens as they age and the mileage mounts.
Swap it with the Horn relay (same part) and the problem will go away.
Replace the horn relay at your convenience.

Back
Top Bottom