A route is running backwards for a stretch.... HELP!

beaver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Right, done a cracking route tonight. From my house, to the lakes, top side of Windermere, Wrynose pass to Hardknot pass and down around the South lakes, through Lancaster and through the Trough of Bowland, pick up the A65 and back home... Not so bad once you get into it... zoom in and checked I was on the road everywhere etc and I was, but did find a section going up to a shaping point, where for some reason I;m going both ways? only about 1 miles or so, but only 1 shaping point involved at the far end... Now I'm not sure if this would cause problems if I ride it, but I can't find a way to get rid of it??.. Any ideas?

Well done for cracking on. It looks like you are most of the way there and will soon be onto the advanced stuff.

There can be several reasons why a route goes up to a point an then goes back on itself again. However the vast majority of them involve the accidental incorrect placement of a shaping point. These include, putting the shaping point by accident on the wrong carriageway or on the wrong exit of a roundabout or somehow on some sort of one way street or dead end.

Try:

A. Zooming right in again and following the route from the point before the error, through to the point that it spins you around and on to the next point. See anything?

B. Dragging what you think is the troublesome shaping point somewhere else. Does that fix it? Yes? Great. No? Use the undo button. Now try moving the point before. Does that fix it? Undo if not and try the point after. Remember, you can drag (move) a shaping point, just the same as you can drag a route.

It is hard to diagnose routing errors remotely. Can you share the route with us, so that we can look at it, please. What we need is the actual file itself. Try hosting it on something like Dropbox, which is free, and sharing it that way.

Its a single track road, so its not that, but I did try moving the shaping points but they are quite a distance apart and it screws up...
Maybe when I get in tonight I'll see if I can put it into dropbox :)

Does the single track road end at say a broken road surface (which you might have excluded in preferences) or is it just ‘ending’ as Garmin’s detailed map does not know that the ‘road’ (if you can grace it with that name) continues?

Can you zoom right in and take a decent quality screen shot, please. One good enough to show the magenta line and the roads on the map, where the mile of doubleback occurs, please.

Await Dropbox file with interest.

Its a through road and is 3/4 around my route.. as said, its only about 1/2 mile long if that, but shows the arrows going both ways, where as either side of it, it shows the arrows in the correct direction...
I've drawn what it looks like :eyebrow obviously the pink line does not get any wider like I have it here, but it does get darker, so you can see somehow its overlaid initially going forward, then back, then forward again??

Attachments

• 20200318_140005.jpg
    20200318_140005.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 239
I have received a file from Beaver, which holds four routes and a few waypoints.

Link deleted....

Opening it on my Mac, I can’t see where the glitch is.

Things I did notice are:

A. On my Mac it opens as routes created in car mode, as opposed to motorcycling. I can’t tell if this is my Mac doing this or if Beaver created them in car mode originally. As I have all my preferences turned off, a change of mode should not make any difference, I guess

B. Beaver sometimes places shaping points very close to roundabout and crossroad junctions. I find it’s best to avoid doing this, as it is too easy to place the shaping point on the wrong exit or road

Other than that, the routes look fine to me, so Beaver seems to have cracked the key bits of route creation in BaseCamp, which is great

Over to Beaver (or anyone else) to tell me where the glitch is

Last edited:
looking at the long route (home to wrynose to south) i see shaping point off the road at wicham, not really a problem.
Home to Hawes route no issue.
home to seaways i see no probs.
squires cafe route looks to be good to go.

As Richard said above all routes are created using the car driving profile this may cause an issue when connecting your nav into the motorcycle cradle, (unsure of this) as i always use motorcycle profile.

i see shaping point off the road at wicham,

I saw that too, Lee but put it down to nothing more than the common (easy to do) small problem of the shaping point being off the highway.

From the OP’s description, I was looking for something much longer, in the region of a mile up a single track road.

If nothing else it highlights:

A. The importance of trying to place shaping points in the best place. For instance, had this point been that far out on a roundabout or junction, the route might go in totally the wrong direction... as that was what it had been told to do.

B. The importance of checking routes after they have been created

C. The value in sharing a route file, with those trying to help. Lee and I were able to check it quickly and much more easily than relying on a description or a great drawing

Beaver, it looks like you are getting the hang of the monster that is BaseCamp..... which really isn’t a monster at all.

Let Lee and I know if what we have said answers your question, please. If it doesn’t, we’ll carry on trying.

Putting that to one side, you could (now that you seem to have route creation off pat) start to:

1. Create folders for routes. This is a good thing to learn as it saves having them all batched together. For example, you could put your four routes which all start from home, into a folder called, say Awesome Routes from Home. Your Scotland trip folder could be called, somewhat unimaginatively, Scotland holiday 2020. There again, they are Personal computers, with a capital P, so do whatever makes sense to you.

2. For the waypoints, like Home, you can ascribe dates, departure times and stopover times. These are useful if you create say your Scotland trip. If you put in the date of the route as say 10 June it will appear in date order in the Nav V’s calendar. Similarly, if you plan to stopover for lunch at a waypoint for 90 minutes, you can insert this into the waypoints properties. BaseCamp and your device will then adjust the total estimated time taken for the whole route accordingly.

3. Giving your routes different names. For example, if I create a route in advance (say 10 June. hotel in France to home) I might create three different versions.

i. Home, twisty

ii. Home, twisty then mototorway from Cambrai

iii. Home, motorway only

They would all have the same departure date, so they would all appear in Trip Planner in my device. I would then change the departure times, knowing that i would take longer than ii, which would take longer than iii. They would then appear in time of departure order, too.

Why would I want this?

A. When it is pissing down in France I would not want to spend 10 minutes trying to work out which route is which

B. If it is nice and I want to go 350 miles twisty, I don’t want to find myself heading to Cambrai

C. I always put the destination first in the title. Why? I know where I am.... the title sometimes becomes abbreviated.... I know my destination is home..... Home appears first in the title. This really helps when you have a bunch of blokes with you who all say: “Which route do I need and where to?”. But hey, they are Personal, so do what works for YOU!

Just a thought but if you wish to see what the route is going to do at a certain point along its length (the bit where you say its going both ways) just go into playback mode and slide the slider to get the pointer to that point and watch what happens to the pointer. To start this right click on the route in the left pane and select playback, the controls are at the top left of the main window.

just a quick reply without reading all of the above (I'm in work)... I've been told in the past to use the car as using the bike, it can take you on roads / tracks that only a lightweight off-road bike can manage?

The glitch is on the big route, 3/4 of the way around. Having crossed the M6 below Lancaster, I go down small roads towards the A65.. its on this stretch about 1/2 way across... you'll have to zoom right in to see it.

If you can't find it, I'll put some co-ordinates up for it tonight. Thanks again for your ongoing help!

My device keeps sending me back...

Thank you, now we are cooking on gas, I hope.

Found it and I can see the cause.

I have created a new route file, stripping out the other three routes and marked the spot with HERE!

Link deleted....

7c22d372badbb15a03b2c920b2b94207.jpg
6e194292e61ecd4fc797cdbfb643c90b.jpg

It's the old.... You have placed shaping points on the goat track, so the route takes you up the track, as that is where you have told BaseCamp you want to go.... See post 19 point A, above. Here is how your route progresses:

You have a waypoint (not a shaping point) a bit further back, called Scotforth Road1

You then have a shaping point, called Scotforth Road on the goat track. The route goes to this point and then makes a U-turn

2478664071306c7cdedef40838eb68a1.jpg

You then have the next shaping point on the same goat track, called, Road1

dd96a0fbd04557eefe5c3251c54a4862.jpg

You then have a third shaping point, Road2, which is back on what I assume is your intended route

43e11be8ed8f564c0c74f77b85e19fa1.jpg

This will happen , irrespective of your preference settings. BaseCamp (and in fact any routing software) will take you to points, if you tell it to take you there. It is your servant, don’t forget. We can deal with preference settings and modes of transport separately, I’ll start you a fresh post and thread.... https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...references-what-is-best?p=5633076#post5633076

I can correct it for you but it's better that you do it. Use the route tool, to drag the erroneous points into their correct place or just try deleting them. See what happens... use the undo and re-do commands to take you back and forth between changes, you'll learn more.

Report back.....

PS Don’t get dispirited, please. You have cracked most of it, trust me.

Last edited:
Have followed the road from crossing the M6 to joining the A65 and see nothing wrong, have put the route in playback mode and nothing sends me backwards at any point, could you please post up what version maps you are using, the reason i ask is there may be a place where the road differs on your maps compared to mine.

Just looked at yours Richard and it goes a different way on my mapping than it does on yours or the original, most odd, could be how my profile is set. will look into this.

this is it on my basecamp you can see with the settings i have the route is totally different, tis why i could not fault it but looking at your blown up view you can see the fault straight away.

Attachments

• route2.jpg
    route2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 203
you see where my settings send the route even in car driving mode,

Attachments

• route44.jpg
    route44.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 169
Hi Lee,

That is odd. I don't see how your version misses out the shaping points completely. I agree, they are not listed in your version.

I guess that it can only be down to settings, But settings should not remove shaping points, as far as I know. Maybe some sort of recalculation removed them? I don't recall ever seeing it before.

Richard

now adjusted to give the same, and all now becomes clear.

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 121
yes, Lee is in the right area... Richard, what you have does not show on mine at all...

yes, Lee is in the right area... Richard, what you have does not show on mine at all...

That is, as Lee found out, due to settings and recalculation..... or rather no recalculation.

It doesn’t matter.

Go back to your original route, find the spot and look at my pictures and text in post #22. All should then become clear. We are getting there. I half fancy riding the route myself.... I feel as if I have :D :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom