Optimate 4 Charging.

Macca2321

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can I charge a dead battery (from winter storage) with this? I have the optimate but never really used.

If so can I do in Can Bus mode?

I have a good 12v charger also but for ease just plug it in with optimate or what?

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can try. I would go direct to battery terminal rather than through an accessory socket though to start with - ensures the battery is receiving the full boost rather than any limits the ECU puts on charge rate. But, if the battery has been flat for a while even if the Optimate restores it the battery won’t last long. And, if you keep it on the Optimate each night you will never know how knackered the battery is until one day when you are out and return to the bike from your brew stop to find it has finally given up totally on you.

So for now I plugged in my old faithful :)

I have used the Optimate in the past via can bus when bike been sitting for a few weeks. Maybe I should have left on for the winter :)

Sure it’s a great bit of kit when you understand what the hell all the flashing lights are doing.

There is plenty of info on it I just found in YouTube but always good to hear the tossers preferred and easy way guide. :)

AustinW thx for the reply. Yes after a small debate in my head I agree. Direct to battery would be better. I used my old faithful charger.

Will probably just use the Optimate for small periods once I know battery is good again.

Could be time for a new one anyway.

Short answer No. The turbo mode will not work on an optimal can bus model if its in can bus mode. It will also not work if the battery is connected to the bike. To use the deep discharge turbo charging mode, you need to take your Optimate 4 out of canbus mode and then connect to a disconnected battery, then Bobs your Uncle etc etc :)

Short answer No. The turbo mode will not work on an optimal can bus model if its in can bus mode. It will also not work if the battery is connected to the bike. To use the deep discharge turbo charging mode, you need to take your Optimate 4 out of canbus mode and then connect to a disconnected battery, then Bobs your Uncle etc etc :)

as above - the reason for this is that turbo/recovery mode can damage other components due to the higher voltages used, so the Optimate 4 will detect any load on the battery and restrain itself from using recovery mode

if the battery does not recover then do as casbar suggests, give the battery a chance with the Optimate 4 whilst off the bike, but make sure you change the mode to normal from canbus.

Hopefully, your old faithful battery charger is safe to use with the battery in circuit...

Update:

I disconnected as advised and charged with old faithful for 24 hours. Popped battery on bike and of course started on first push of the button. Its been stood since September now.

Run it up to get the engine fully warm and a 200m ride back and forth. All i can do at the moment. Thick Ice on the roads.

Now i have plugged in the Optimate in Can Bus mode and left it to do its thing.

It was last flashing with the LED that the manual says 'Final - Verification of charge level/top up charge'

I will go take a look in a little while. I think i can just leave it on there? Let it do its thing? Its probably going to be another 2-3 weeks before i can get out on the road properly. Maybe less.

Next year I am 100% going to buy tyres with spikes, heated vest, hand warmers the lot. :)

Thanks for the input so far.

Back
Top Bottom