DAB Radio

Watty100

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone know of anyone who does an upgrade to the RT audio system that will play DAB radio? :nenau

Over the airwaves the old fashioned way, not streaming via a phone app.

I asked in the dealer whilst getting it serviced last week, nothing from BMW although they expect next years bikes to have it, and no idea if it will be a retrofit.

1st world problem I know, but I do like Planet Rock/Absolute Rock now Radio 2 has gone shite.:rob

(2017 bike)

Do s search or ask on 1200rt.com there is someone on there who fitted a dab radio to his RT

Anyone know of anyone who does an upgrade to the RT audio system that will play DAB radio? :nenau

Over the airwaves the old fashioned way, not streaming via a phone app.

I asked in the dealer whilst getting it serviced last week, nothing from BMW although they expect next years bikes to have it, and no idea if it will be a retrofit.

1st world problem I know, but I do like Planet Rock/Absolute Rock now Radio 2 has gone shite.:rob

(2017 bike)

Have sent you a PM.

Just had an enlightening chat with John- Beemerboy9- and I now have the solution along with a way to pass in quarantine in the garage.

Many thanks John, and thanks for the other suggestion as well folks.

Guys,

Would love to know of any solution out there?

Cheers stevie

Hi guys,

Here are some pictures and an article I wrote for the BMW Club magazine for the first installation. Sorry about the .txt format of the main document (at the bottom after the pics), but that is the only type allowed on here.

Please note

a) that the aerial is now mounted on the top box.
b) to create an aerial ground-plane three layers of aluminium kitchen foil are hidden under the passenger backrest. The aerial is located next to the backrest.
c) the latest version of the radio (Gen 3) stores the last station played - a sort of single pre-set.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John

Attachments

• Fitting a digital radio a R1200RT LC - Picture 1.jpg
    Fitting a digital radio a R1200RT LC - Picture 1.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 520
  • Fitting a digital radio a R1200RT LC - Picture 2.jpg
    Fitting a digital radio a R1200RT LC - Picture 2.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 504
  • Fitting a digital radio a R1200RT LC - Picture 3.jpg
    Fitting a digital radio a R1200RT LC - Picture 3.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 520
  • Fitting a digital radio a R1200RT LC.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 207
  • Fitting a digital radio a R1200RT LC - Picture 5.jpg
    Fitting a digital radio a R1200RT LC - Picture 5.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 517
Hello John - pm sent requesting more info' about the aerial positioning :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom