Splendid Isolation

Tetley

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Nice day so had a run round the local lanes....on my own.

Attachments

• 062ACB9A-5CC6-415E-AFEE-2D307B22863E.jpg
    062ACB9A-5CC6-415E-AFEE-2D307B22863E.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 563
  • A78F7E7A-3DEA-443E-8901-CB060B9B6106.jpg
    A78F7E7A-3DEA-443E-8901-CB060B9B6106.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 597
  • 06F0074D-BD40-43B6-B2CD-8168FE7655CF.jpg
    06F0074D-BD40-43B6-B2CD-8168FE7655CF.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 578
Nice trails. Where are they? Do you use the what3words app for location finding?

Steve.

Inn't this supposed to be Adventure riding , where we just pop off down the back lanes and see where they take us.
With a fullk tank and a good map on board just in case we do get totally lost!
Not much fun in following some tiny screen when you could be concentrating on the ride and the scenery.
Might as well get a Go Pro linked up to the Iphone and beam it back to the missus so she tell tell you how to ride too!

Inn't this supposed to be Adventure riding , where we just pop off down the back lanes and see where they take us.

Yeah, but it's really not like that in the UK. Unpaved road where it's legal to ride are few and far between. GPS and apps aren't necessarily to avoid getting lost, they're to find the very few that are left in the first place. Having seen some of the opportunities in Australia where there are thousands of miles of unpaved tracks waiting to be explored, I'd love to be able to do that but it just doesn't exist in any similar way in the UK.

Not much fun in following some tiny screen when you could be concentrating on the ride and the scenery.
Might as well get a Go Pro linked up to the Iphone and beam it back to the missus so she tell tell you how to ride too!

My spec:
Iphone 5S in Ultimate Addons waterproof case on the handlebars powered by USB port mounted on same.
Use Google Maps for nav to a particular area. Then...
Memory Maps entire UK 1:50,000 OS maps downloaded onto 5S - no mobile connection required for entire UK. And...
what3words app so people can send you to any 3m square point on the surface of the earth. When you enter the three words into the app it then lets you select any downloaded app to navigate to that point. Great if someone tells you to go to limit.gamer.whirlpool which is the summit of the highest road in the UK.

Steve.

Electrickery breaks down, particularly if you fall off, so best to have a map as a back up, just in case.
In 60 years/1,200,000 km of riding I have always managed to ride home, so no rush to upgrade what has worked OK for the past 60 years.
And no desire to tart up a pretty original G/S PD with needless bling just so I con brag about it - be as well buying a new Waterhead!

Beemerboff, why do you spend so much time deriding other people’s way of life? It would never occur to me to question you always going out not knowing where you’re going or deciding never to use sat nav. And it would never occur to me to deride you for keeping a Paris Dakar original and unblinged. Live your life how you want to live it. But let others live theirs how they want to. In peace.

You are very lucky with the trails around you

Many of the trails around Surrey - in particular around Coldharbour and that area - are now so destroyed by 4X4 ruts that you cannot get a GS 12 or 80 G/S down them
Last year the lanes were fine, but the new game is to get stuck & winch each other out......
So the council also want to TRO several.......

Errrr... explain to me the apparent disconnect, between ‘adventure’ and having researched, planned, successfully navigated a route. Whereas some of the time that might be fun, as in life, applying that approach limits both your horizons and your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom