Insurance for 17 year old for green-laneing

Stevie4scoops

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Please will anyone who's had any recent dealings with insurance for 17 year olds and got a reasonable deal let me know who they used.

I don't want my sons to ride bikes on the road until they are much older but am happy to take them green-laneing.

For this I bought a cheap Lexmoto 125 and today got insurance quotes for SD&P 2k miles a year the lowest of which was £1,113 or more than 50p per mile.

Any thoughts/advice how to better this will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Try full comp. Weirdly, sometimes cheaper.
Who is named on the policy? Is the lad the main rider? Have you added a 2nd person? This can reduce premiums.
What occupation is he listed as? Students will get stung. If he has a part time job, use that.

Can you restrict use to daylight only? This can reduce premiums but he needs to know he will not have TP cover if riding after the curfew. Might be okay now but could be awkward if he is or becomes a young lothario.

Try full comp. Weirdly, sometimes cheaper.
Who is named on the policy? Is the lad the main rider? Have you added a 2nd person? This can reduce premiums.
What occupation is he listed as? Students will get stung. If he has a part time job, use that.

Can you restrict use to daylight only? This can reduce premiums but he needs to know he will not have TP cover if riding after the curfew. Might be okay now but could be awkward if he is or becomes a young lothario.

Thanks for the tips which I will try. Yes, registered as a full time student and no one else on the policy.

Another thought I had since writing the original post is others have said they've got very high quotes since the virus issue kicked off.

I will also speak with Be-Moto who insure several of my bikes at a very reasonable cost to see what they can offer.

I will be very happy to restrict the policy hugely even to include only riding whilst with his Dad if it helps.

Thanks for your ideas on this.

Did you have any further luck with this? My lad is finding the same high premium quotes currently

Hi, yes we went with Lexham in the end for around £600.

Sadly the lockdown was announced a couple of days after we bought it so it's been a huge cost for nothing.

I looked into cancelling it under the 14 day cooling off period but they said I'd only get £500 back so I left it running.

Back
Top Bottom