Riding Out and About

rogerstan

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Respecting govt advice I had a great ride out today up around the northern dales to Tan Hill. I took my own flask for brews and kept myself to myself.

Whilst passing through Hawes there was a throng of dopey bikers holding court in direct opposition to guidelines. These guidelines are for mutual benefit.

Just a suggestion but ride out....... definitely . Just don’t stop at the obvious places ..... devils bridge, carousel, rivvy barn etc. These are the public gatherings that we are trying to prevent right now. Come on, let’s lead by example. Oh, you probably heard it before me, but keep your gloves on when fuelling up, seemingly the pumps are virus spreaders. :beerjug:

Nice one Roger. Doing the same today. Normally six of us out in a group but we have split into three groups of two. Two of the riders are girls so we didn’t want them riding alone, for obvious reasons. We always give a miss the places you say , hawes , settle sq etc, on a normal ride, so we will certinally be by passing them today. We ride through them, just don’t stop.

I’m expecting loads out today, suns about , dry roads etc. Will be interesting to see how big some of the groups are and how many are taking the piss out of the advice. I feel his will be the last ride for some time, as Boris will clamp down on non social driving and riding this week.

It's always the inconsiderate and downright stupid bikers who tend to give the majority a bad name ... they're probably also responsible for the panic buying of toilet rolls

Could someone please explain why the 'stay at home' advice/instruction doesn't apply if you use a motorcycle ? I've looked through the reams of government/medical advice and can't seem to locate this particular section :nenau

Loads of bikes at Newlands Corner when we rode past yesterday. We stopped in a quiet corner of the car park at the top of Bury Hill for a leg stretch, and there were groups of people in close proximity chatting and shaking hands etc at the other end :blast

I was thinking of having a ride on my own, I thought I would not be in contact with anyone which is the main concern.

But then I considered, what if I have an accident? The ambulance service, police and possibly fire service would have to come and scrape me off the road and this would divert vital resources and they’d all have to come in contact with me and each other.

So I think I’ll leave the bike at home for now. Regrettably.

What dipshits fail to understand is that Corona virus can kill in the right circumstances.

2 of us went out yesterday on bikes. Stopped in a lay by for 10 mins keeping 4 metres apart at all times. Been at home all week and kept away from everyone.

People have the mentality that it wont happen to them, what they fail to realise is that they could well pass it on and it could kill, hospitals are at max.

My wife who has two underlying problems asked if it was ok for my daughter who is still working in an office could cmme for dinner today. My response was r u serious?

This is what we are up against....

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Loads of bikes at Newlands Corner when we rode past yesterday.

We stopped in a quiet corner of the car park at the top of Bury Hill for a leg stretch, and there were groups of people in close proximity chatting and shaking hands etc at the other end :blast

:blast

I think the problem is, that people like the OP and others who pop out for a tootle about and are careful about both their riding and distancing are the good half of the whole issue...the other half are the bell ends described above (I imagine they're the usual Sunday summer warriors) who see deserted roads and that need to ride out with their mates. I very much doubt anyone goes out intending to hit a drystone wall or oncoming car...but it happens, and when it does it generally takes alot of resource to sort out.
The nobbers will (hopefully) cause a change in policy and proper lock down be put in place. If you look at as many as 99% of people doing the right thing...that still leaves about 660k people being dickheads

Could someone please explain why the 'stay at home' advice/instruction doesn't apply if you use a motorcycle ? I've looked through the reams of government/medical advice and can't seem to locate this particular section :nenau

Because it’s an alien concept that a car driver would go out , drive around in what is essentially a big circle and return home. “Travel “ implies a destination and that also usually means travelling to somewhere where there are more people.

Why would it be Ok to go for a walk if you distance yourself from others , go for a cycle if you distance yourself but not be able to do the same on a motorcycle, or in a car? The advice to not travel is given because you want to limit people travelling to where there are other people and meeting up.

I’m following the advice and then when it becomes a rule I’ll follow that too.

I was thinking of having a ride on my own, I thought I would not be in contact with anyone which is the main concern.

But then I considered, what if I have an accident? The ambulance service, police and possibly fire service would have to come and scrape me off the road and this would divert vital resources and they’d all have to come in contact with me and each other.

So I think I’ll leave the bike at home for now. Regrettably.

Using the same thinking, should we refrain from any activity which increases the risk to ourselves and therefore the likelihood of needing to use precious NHA resources. What about cycling, decorating, DIY, horse riding, hiking

(I'm more than happy to not do any decorating)

Because it’s an alien concept that a car driver would go out , drive around in what is essentially a big circle and return home. “Travel “ implies a destination and that also usually means travelling to somewhere where there are more people.

FWIW that type of riding has always been an alien concept to me; I've always needed a reason, albeit a very tenuous one sometimes but going out for a 'ride' has never been my thing.

My reason for having a tootle out is to ride along nice roads. What other excuse does one need.

Exactly. The cafe was also open, probably taking cash payments as well. :blast

Yep my mate was surprised that the infamous Ponderosa was completely shut when we rode past (they have a takeaway window big as well as the main restaurant) , me I was pleased they’d seen the sense to shut it . Some bikers we’re parked outside the gates looking dazed and confused ;)

Loads of bikes in West Bay yesterday and today, all stopping for tea, chips and a natter. Socially isolating together :blast

Using the same thinking, should we refrain from any activity which increases the risk to ourselves and therefore the likelihood of needing to use precious NHA resources. What about cycling, decorating, DIY, horse riding, hiking

(I'm more than happy to not do any decorating)

Basically, at the moment, if you choose to do something you didn't need to do and end up requiring medical treatment as a result, you're a person who might have just killed someone who needs the bed you've taken, or by spreading it (if asymptomatic) to the doctor who treats you, resulting in them being unable to treat someone else.

It's time to be totally risk averse in what you do, even if 100% staying at home.

IMHO

I live in a very popular, for motorbikes part of the Dales.
Just a few miles from me is Devils Bridge. Today it was absolutely heaving with bikes.
Over the last few years, due mainly to the sheer numbers, the bikes are becoming increasingly unpopular with residents.
Today, they became despised. Total and utter selfishness, just no regard for others.
If you can set off from your home with a full tank, keep yourself completely to yourself, ride carefully and safely,
Do not interact with anybody then I don't have much of a problem, just don't be ignorant selfish twats.Think of others.

I live in a very popular, for motorbikes part of the Dales.
Just a few miles from me is Devils Bridge. Today it was absolutely heaving with bikes.
Over the last few years, due mainly to the sheer numbers, the bikes are becoming increasingly unpopular with residents.
Today, they became despised. Total and utter selfishness, just no regard for others.
If you can set off from your home with a full tank, keep yourself completely to yourself, ride carefully and safely,
Do not interact with anybody then I don't have much of a problem, just don't be ignorant selfish twats.Think of others.

Well said
Seen the pics
Wankers at Devils Bridge

Back
Top Bottom