Silent Hektik on R100GS PD

wilbjr21

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a KTM 790 Adventure and wanted to fit fog lights. So I bought a set of Denali D2 lights and CJ Designs fork leg brackets making it the same setup as on my 690.

My measurements were fine and the lights fitted ok but I just didn't like it. So I went for the KTM Powerparts setup that was now available.

What to do with the Denali D2s - fit them on R100GS PD I thought.

What to do about the standard alternator to overcome any charging shortcomings?

Found Silent Hektik 410W Permanent Magnet alternators. Fitting one of these overcomes the problem of Ignition Lamp failure causing loss of alternator output. The regulator from Silent Hektik also accommodates any

battery I care to fit; including Lifepo.

I then found that they also do a pretty advanced Ignition System that works off trigger points on the alternator rotor.

So hand deep in pocket ............

This is the result.

The quality of Silent Hektik is just amazing. Very happy.

Attachments

• IMG_9827.jpeg
    IMG_9827.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 1,214
  • IMG_9696.jpeg
    IMG_9696.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 1,555
  • IMG_9695.jpeg
    IMG_9695.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 1,312
  • IMG_9615.jpeg
    IMG_9615.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 1,336
Is the bean can just filling the hole?

I guess it’s wasted spark, with electronic advance, is that correct?

That’s too clean, it just looks so wrong :D

Is the bean can just filling the hole?

I guess it’s wasted spark, with electronic advance, is that correct?

That’s too clean, it just looks so wrong :D

Yes Ian, it is as you say electronic advance - but I've removed the bean can now and fitted the blanking cover. I will take a picture of this and the new Silent Hektik coil when the tank is a bit less full. :D

Have I noticed a difference with this triple spark system? - well it does run very smooth. I've set it to 34 deg of advance which is roughly the same as the standard timing (32 deg at 3500 rpm)

My main reason for spending the cash on the ignition system is it's so neat, easy to do and modern.

With the bike being 25 years old it's most likely the charging system and ignition system that will stop you on a trip.

Looks good...go on then...give me a clue how much...could be interested.

With the bike being 25 years old it's most likely the charging system and ignition system that will stop you on a trip.

Interesting logic. The alternator failed on my R100GS 28 years ago in Namibia when the bike was 2 years old. It was rewound in Johannesburg and has been fine ever since - perhaps I shouldn’t have said that!

Interesting logic. The alternator failed on my R100GS 28 years ago in Namibia when the bike was 2 years old. It was rewound in Johannesburg and has been fine ever since - perhaps I shouldn’t have said that!

Renew your AA/RAC it could be of use.

How much does this system work out at and where is best place to buy it. I like the notion of not having to rely on bean can or charging light bulb.

https://www.bmwbayer.de/en/silent-hektik-ignition-generator

This is where I bought mine. You will get a bottle of beer and a pair of gloves too !!!

It's also a good idea to buy the SH blank cover for the bean can and the mounting plate for the new coil. I bought these from SH in Unna (Germany) on my way to another place a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty sure if you email BMW Bayer he can supply both. The blanking plate is on his website.

All in cost €850. Not cheap, but I haven't seen anything close to the quality.

My bike has just had the Overland and Classic (Mikeboy) treatment so it is now as good as new.

I'll take some photos of the completed job tomorrow; showing the bean can blanking cover and the new coil arrangement.

Do you think so? Seems very logical to me. My bike now has a very modern, reliable and complete charging and ignition system. You had bad luck.

You’re probably right. I’ve had the same bosch alternator fail on a couple of Guzzis so they’re not the best. I also had a Silent Hektik ignition on another old Guzzi which never gave any issues in my ownership (it was fitted by the previous owner).

I like to think that the alternator that was rewound in Jo’burg is better than the original which is why is still going strong.

Here is the photo that I've just taken of the coil and it's mounting plate; along with a photo of the bean can blanking plate.

Attachments

• Coil.jpeg
    Coil.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 1,131
  • Blanking plate.jpeg
    Blanking plate.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 961
Looks very nice and must be a great feeling to have such a reliable set up going forward with the bike having been overhauled and all. That's a lot of money though, and given that I have a spare rotor to hand I'll hold off making such an investment until things go a bit pear shaped in the charging department.

Looks very nice and must be a great feeling to have such a reliable set up going forward with the bike having been overhauled and all. That's a lot of money though, and given that I have a spare rotor to hand I'll hold off making such an investment until things go a bit pear shaped in the charging department.

Do you need the extra power? It is expensive kit.

Do you need the extra power? It is expensive kit.

No. Even when using heated grips and the Led spots the voltmeter still looks good. An LED main bulb probably helps a little too. If I was a regular city or winter rider with a heated jacket it might be a different story.

Back
Top Bottom