701 great bike but not for me

As an aside ..... and going off at a compeeeete tangent (!)

We're probably all in the same boat where we don't often get biking Eureeka moments these days. My last Eureeka moment was with Dylan Jones a few years ago now.

Day two of a refresher course (fairly modular .... doing different disciplines) and we moved on to ruts. Where we were training (Canada heights in Kent, but in the grounds not the actual MX track) there was a good section of ruts.
Dylan gave us three demonstrations of how he would negotiate ruts at three different speeds; the slow, sat, two legged dab approach. The medium pace, sat, one leg balance / dab approach. And then the full gas stand up body for balance approach.

That last one was the eureeka moment! Dylan came through the ruts (about 100 metres and dead straight) at about 40mph steering his bike with his body. The bars didn't move one inch. His arms, didn't steer the bike at all. It was all done with upper body weight alone - I have an image of him in my mind, hanging off the bike, keeping it upright and straight, but with his torso two or three feet out of line with the centre mass and constantly adjusting and balancing.

Hard to describe, and you'd think .... well that's obvious isn't it?, but it was a proper penny drop moment!!

:beerjug:

It's a 19 like yours.

The forks were very stiff and crashy when new, but softened up in a few hundred miles. Never think about them now. Back end is OK, but a bit soft if I get into deeper whoops off road. Dynamic sag is surprisingly not far out at a quick check and I'm somewhat heavier than the 75/85Kg rider weight that Husky apparently spec for.
I've never even looked at the settings. I imagine it's set to "Std." when it leaves the factory. Meant to check it out, but never seemed to get around to it. There is a softer Comfort setting in the manual that you could reset to.

I took the back part of the rear guard off. It's only 4 screws IIRC, but you have to take the panel behind the seat off to unplug the no. plate lamp. Then I drilled through the holes in the plate and screwed it to what remains of the guard. It's almost like Husky knew that many would relocate and made it pretty easy.
I bunged up the large hole under the rear lamp wiring with a grommet, as otherwise water would slosh in off the rear tyre. I also cut down and relocated the number plate lamp to the underside of the centre rear panel. I don't really think that is necessary. It would be a miserable MOT tester to fail on that I think.

cheers ive got the handbook out and very simply moved all the setting to comfort and will monitor to see how it feels especially after some miles as you say. im not expecting to ride much now though.
well designed rear mudguard allowing its removal is such a good simple idea and I like all the torqs as it keeps it easy to work on.

I had no bung so after I pushed the number plate light through its hole I just put a splodge of clear silicon .

ive also noticed that it has an electronic throttle not a cable.

:beerjug:

Attachments

• 0E32A51A-EA22-482E-9F0B-CFDD6229A017.jpg
    0E32A51A-EA22-482E-9F0B-CFDD6229A017.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 351
  • D63D280C-52E3-498A-923C-0CFB73FBAD40.jpg
    D63D280C-52E3-498A-923C-0CFB73FBAD40.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 314
yes I know on the list of tat to buy is a flexible number plate probably a bit smaller too. but I aint going anywhere like most . its nice to wheel it up and down my tiny garden and look at it :p

the bike that is not the number plate:augie

Our job wr450's (back in the day ...) had conventional numberplates on them (had to be completely above board and legal), and they broke pretty much every time we went out! Mostly from the back wheel catching the plate (occasionally from somebody rear ending somebody else !). Eventually workshops saw the light and got road legal bendy flexible ones .... :thumb2

Our job wr450's (back in the day ...) had conventional numberplates on them (had to be completely above board and legal), and they broke pretty much every time we went out! Mostly from the back wheel catching the plate (occasionally from somebody rear ending somebody else !). Eventually workshops saw the light and got road legal bendy flexible ones .... :thumb2

ive ordered one slightly smaller one :thumb

Back
Top Bottom