k1300 cutting out when warm and GS911 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Monkey

Reaction score
ok, here goes, i have a 2010 k1300s 66k miles - it was running fine until today and it has now cut out several times whilst riding - let it cool and it starts again, until it gets to operating temperature then cuts out again.

when it has cut out the bike turns over but not firing. when it does fire again it works fine then starts to die then come back die come back until finally dies. It is definitely electrical in nature.

I am ruling out the key (ignition) immobiliser ring as it it does it while im riding. ruling out kill switch (or should i not) because it spins the starter over

my two favourite culprits are the Quickshifter and the crank position sensor.

I tried live logging on the gs911 but it does not record the turn over speed of the engine ( when its recently cut out) but when it does start i cannot get a reading before it fires up!

does anyone have any pointers on how to test the crank sensor without it firing up? and is there any other known culprits i should be looking at?

thanks

An oscilliscope (sp) should be able to pick up the pulses from the crank sensor, (not sure if a multimeter can do it, the pulses are usuallly very low)

The crank sensor is only one half of the equation, it also needs the cam sensor to work out where within the map things are ..

as a quick try you could try unplugging and the replugging the crank sensor in, and the same for the cam sensor

Somtiimes the voltage spike in plugging / unpluging is enough to to give enough kick to get the voltage pulse picked up.

A friend of mine had this problem on his. I’m sure BMW eventually replaced a battery cable or something along those lines and it did the trick.

Thanks - will do some googling for the battery thing -

Re oscilloscope- will that help me if the problem occurs when it’s at temperature ?

Willing to try anything before I start the diagnosis by buying new parts!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was/is a battery cable upgrade.

What about the coil packs, they're a known problem and don't show up on the gs-911.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I thought coils but it would mis fire and run like a bag of shit wouldn’t it ?

Will look Into the battery thing

When I had a K1300 it started cutting out occasionally then I realised it was over heating took it to BMW, and they diagnosed a radiator which was supposedly furring up and charged me for a new rad which sorted out the problem,brilliant bike but they do have a few little niggles.

When I had a K1300 it started cutting out occasionally then I realised it was over heating took it to BMW, and they diagnosed a radiator which was supposedly furring up and charged me for a new rad which sorted out the problem,brilliant bike but they do have a few little niggles.

We had this on a trip through Spain a few years back, IIRC it was accompanying some overheating in traffic, I think part of the wiring loom was the culprit.

I would do the cheap jobs first, clean out the fuel system in-case the system is blocked and the fuel pump is over working. Put some injector cleaner through it. Visually check the wiring loom etc. Is the bike due a service?

There was a battery/starter cable issue but this doesn't sound like that particular problem. I had that and it just wouldn't start when hot (stop for petrol and couldn't get going again). Leave it to cool and it was fine but it didn't cut out when running. But others may have had different symptoms with the same problem! The radiator does need a good clean out regularly, easy enough to drop it and give it a good flush through from behind, just pressure wash from the front in situ doesn't really cut it. After a dealer service I was told I might need a new radiator (fan running longer than it should have been) but a good clean and it was fine for the rest of my ownership, about 8k miles.

I would do the cheap jobs first, clean out the fuel system in-case the system is blocked and the fuel pump is over working. Put some injector cleaner through it. Visually check the wiring loom etc. Is the bike due a service?

yes just been serviced, recently bought it after being stood for 9 months.

done about 600 miles since service without issue.

it is looking more and more like crank sensor- when i upped the refresh rate on the gs-911 it would record between 100-200 rpm on the starter motor then fire up - when it cut out i turned it over , cranking fine but showing 0rpm on the gs-911.

ive ordered a used one to try my theory before splashing the cash on a new one :)

will keep you posted

on a side note i found the exhaust valve was sticking fully shut, choking the engine (a side issue as the stall occurred with the flap open) but another thing worth checking if others suffer same issues.

I would second this, had a similar problem on a VF750F in the 80's, the fuel filter had got partially blocked and the pump couldn't pull enough fuel through, it is a quick and cheap check.

All sorted - replaced the crank sensor and it ran for 2 hours today without a hiccup .

Fingers crossed but all seems to be sorted thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom