BMW R80ST fork free length ?

howardsmed

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have an R80ST which I am rebuilding, I sent the forks to Maxton to have them fit cartridges as the original internals were mostly worn out, the stanchions got sent to Dyna-surf ( who were excellent and cheap too) to be rechromed, i asked Maxton to make the cartridges so the ride height would be 25mm lower. I recently assembled the whole lot and fitted them to the bike, the rear shock is also Maxton and only 450mm centres which will drop the ride height 25mm
Something is most definitely awry, the bike sits like an 70s chopper, all front end in the air. If anyone has an R80ST could they measure the free length ( length when no weight is on the bike) of the forks.

I think Maxton might have added 25mm to the original length, not deducted it !!!........... to be fair they have done lots of suspension work for me over a 20+ year period and its always been absolutely 1st class, but sometimes human error creeps in.

One of the other members of this forum has very kindly given me a measurement, but I just want to see if anyone else has got a similar /same, it saves me giving Maxton the wrong info.

many thanks

Howard

Back
Top Bottom