Insuring SORN bikes

er-minio

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Given the current climate – I'll have to cut down to some non essential expenses and this is the bikes.
I remember at some point I tried to SORN the HP2 during winter, but as the bikes are a multipolicy I was told by the insurer that it wasn't allowed as it would have invalidated the policy.

Is there a way to keep the bikes off the road (private garage) but still insured for theft?
Never looked into suspending/reducing insurance before.

Home insurance is not an option as the bikes are parked in a separate location.

Is there a way to keep the bikes off the road (private garage) but still insured for theft?

Yes.
Several insurers do theft insurance for non road legal dirt/competition machines.
Some insurers do "laid up" cover for, well, laid up machines.
Mine isn't bothered if the bike's on a SORN or not.....ask yours again then shop about if the answer is negative, but remember that you can't have more than one policy for a vehicle, so you may have to cancel the unhelpful original.

Obviously I don't know your financial situation, but surely keeping things as they are isn't going to make much difference anyway?
Playing about with your insurance is likely to cost more than you think you might save.

Thanks Tarka.

but remember that you can't have more than one policy for a vehicle

Yep.

Obviously I don't know your financial situation, but surely keeping things as they are isn't going to make much difference anyway?
Playing about with your insurance is likely to cost more than you think you might save.

Of course. I agree with you. I'll have a look at it.
My initial plan for this shitstorm wasn't going to include any variations to insurance policy. I agree, there could be no savings or the hassle wouldn't justify the slightly lower cost.
I never suspended a policy in my life. Even in the last year where the bikes had very little use.

I'll double check if it makes financial sense to do so.

My insurance last year was a grand for both bikes. It is due to increase due to the speeding conviction I got this year. (Car insurance went up from 500 to 750).
I'm being laid off at work. I have plenty of savings to sail through this, but... every little helps if there is no/very little money coming in for a few months. ;) Better to be careful spending-wise.

My insurer Hiscox, on a multi-vehicle (two and four wheel) policy, is more than happy to exclude ‘road risk’ (ie limiting cover to ‘garage only’, All Risks) for an appropriate reduction in the annual premium. It makes no odds to them if the vehicles are taxed or SORN or if they have (or have not) an MOT.

Given the current climate – I'll have to cut down to some non essential expenses and this is the bikes.
I remember at some point I tried to SORN the HP2 during winter, but as the bikes are a multipolicy I was told by the insurer that it wasn't allowed as it would have invalidated the policy.

Never looked into suspending/reducing insurance before.

Home insurance is not an option as the bikes are parked in a separate location.

I'm guessing that you pay for your premium monthly?, otherwise id say leave as is... your insured no matter where the bikes are...

Then again i'd say leave as is, the cost for two mid term amendments will probably be more expensive than any cost saving lol

No. I pay it all at once as I don’t like to be charged 17% interest on something non essential (and not even on essential stuff to be fair)

I’m considering this as a 6+ months plan.
I don’t think we’ll be back to normal in 1 or 2 months. But that’s another topic/story/thread.

Wapping: thanks, I’ll check with them. Renewal is up soon.

I insured my HP2E with Footman James, for garage only and explained it would only be for a couple of months. After I couple of months I called to put it on road, and my only route was to cancel the policy, which after the charges left me pretty much nothing, then start again.
If you would like to have it back on the road within 12 months might be just worth keeping as is

Furthermore, why are you proposing not riding your bike?

You can go shopping without breaking lockdown regulations.
You can carry shopping on your bike.
Many folk on here have possibly more carrying capacity on their awesome steeds than some small cars. :augie

Ergo....keep riding and enjoy the shopping trips.

Furthermore, why are you proposing not riding your bike?

Number of reasons:

1. I have a multipolicy where the HP2 is the main bike, that's why it is expensive. That bike is not gonna move anytime soon sadly. Splitting the policy is expensive. Already tried a couple of years ago I think.

2. Despite having done shopping on the motorbike for years in the past, I have a car. I just paid that insurance for that in full last month.

3. I think it is a good idea to not do anything that can land us into A&E. For how good we think we are at handling the bikes, there is always a risk of falling down, being hit, especially with empty streets, where some people might think they can have the road by themselves, be more distracted, etc.
Even a simple sprained ankle today is not a good thing to have. Especially in London in the coming couple of months.

4. I'mll know more about my work situation in two days, but I'm preparing under the assumption of low or no income for the foreseeable future. And looking at when this blows over and the govt grants are gone. Can I afford to pay the insurance? Yes. Does it make sense to pay it given al the restriction and zero possibility of travel for a few months? Not sure about it.

But, yes, still keeping this in mind:

Busy as hell just now......

Anyone got any good pointers to brokers doing “SORN” cover on multibikes?

Cornmarket do not, and no way am I dropping £1k on Comp cover for the bikes to sit in the garage!

Back
Top Bottom