Advise needed please. Final Drive wows.

You know. My original has not had the recall steel disc carrier done. I wonder if I could send in a 15 year old bike now to get it done. They might fix the input seal cheap.
Doubt it , I had the recall , once the recall was done I had a note from the dealer declaring slight play noted. No offer of seals , bearings to be done , didn’t want to know , I believe the official BM route is to replace the whole FD with a shiny new one££££££ , I would really like to know the failure rate for this turdish design piece.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can anyone confirm that. Replace the lot??

I thin the polite way to say it would be "in your dreams"

They are obliged to check/ repair / replace any items that are subject to a recall

and thats where there liability ends...

Any thing else is goodwill, and on a 8 year old bike at best, the level of goodwill would be minimal

Youve been given the reccomended advice / route to take.. ;)

but i'm going to hazard a guess you'll go a different way, and it will end in tears

Advice needed please. Final Drive woes.

I have looked at the replies the OP has got to his request for advice and they are all giving sound advice but the OP
seems to have completely ignored all that good advice and gone/is going his own way anyway.

The point of asking was? :D

Advice needed please. Final Drive woes.

I have looked at the replies the OP has got to his request for advice and they are all giving sound advice but the OP
seems to have completely ignored all that good advice and gone/is going his own way anyway.

The point of asking was? :D
Agreed

Most likely trying to save a £ or two , nothing wrong with that.
I've learnt that you have to factor in sprockets & chains every 15k or so on bikes but in a GS a FD rebuild every so often , that's life, one thing for sure they are not maintainance free , had problems with my R65 play on shaft , bearings on my R1100,R1150 though I could do them at home , my R1200GS which went to MB , funny my R100RT mono reached 65K without any problems.

There's only one way to address this issue reliably: full rebuild of your unit / purchase fully rebuilt unit. That means pinion and crown wheel bearings and seals.

You can either

1. do this and have sorted bike
2. take another step and
2a. get lucky (10% probability) or
2b. don't get lucky (90%) and then take step 1

Agreed

Most likely trying to save a £ or two
, nothing wrong with that.
I've learnt that you have to factor in sprockets & chains every 15k or so on bikes but in a GS a FD rebuild every so often , that's life, one thing for sure they are not maintainance free , had problems with my R65 play on shaft , bearings on my R1100,R1150 though I could do them at home , my R1200GS which went to MB , funny my R100RT mono reached 65K without any problems.

Saving money where it can be saved is fine i agree but here in this case you might save money initially but, if you
want to keep the bike it's likely it'll come back around and bite you in the bum, eventually, costing you more money.

I've had FD's on two of my 1200gs's rebuilt by Mikeyboy over the years including my present one which was done at 60K and only because i detected a small amount of play in the pinion shaft
meaning it was likely the needle roller nose bearing was giving up and you don't want to run that until it breaks up :eek: so i got it off to be rebuilt, now done 72k and both have been fine subsequently.

Saving money where it can be saved is fine i agree but here in this case you might save money initially but, if you
want to keep the bike it's likely it'll come back around and bite you in the bum, eventually, costing you more money.

I've had FD's on two of my 1200gs's rebuilt by Mikeyboy over the years including my present one which was done at 60K and only because i detected a small amount of play in the pinion shaft
meaning it was likely the needle roller nose bearing was giving up and you don't want to run that until it breaks up :eek: so i got it off to be rebuilt, now done 72k and both have been fine subsequently.

Similar here. Mine was rebuilt by BMW Wollaston's at about 40.000 miles. Mikeyboy then rebuilt it again probably around 65.000 miles. So far so good. @ 106.000 miles

Another +1 for Mikey,

After being advised by another well regarded member of this parish, that all was not well with my final drive,

I contacted Mikey and sent it off to him to weave his magic...

two weeks later it was back ( i hasten to add the two weeks was at my request, as i was away)

Drive re assembled, and no problems since .. my only annoyance ? ....it went with the bike when i sold it,

I wouldn't have minded swapping it to my new one, at least that way, i would have known it's history ;) :bow

To the OP look at it this way, The cost of Mikey repairing your unit, is small change compared to what you'd have

to pay if you have a catastrophic failure of the unit, which will be the inevitable result if you carry on running it.

Thanks. Everything in lock down. really buggered. Essential worker. no car.

Wish I had a chain and sprockets now!

Back
Top Bottom