Advise needed please. Final Drive wows.

It fixed the second hand unit. Which is now fitted onto the bike. Thanks for your help.

The second hand FD is different to my old one. The abs sensor does not fit properly. I rekon its going to leak. Once I test the bike on the trip to work. I might be able to make a sleeve adaptor on the mini lathe.

It fixed the second hand unit. Which is now fitted onto the bike. Thanks for your help.

The second hand FD is different to my old one. The abs sensor does not fit properly. I rekon its going to leak. Once I test the bike on the trip to work. I might be able to make a sleeve adaptor on the mini lathe.

You've got a later unit, the abs sensors are different.

be carefull if you sleeve it, that the sleeve dose'nt fall into the unit , or you will be in a worse star than before ;)

Pain in the tits at this stage. Second hand unit buckled, so old disk Carrier has to come off the old unit, oil leak from the abs sensor and reading the wrong speed. 200 notes wasted I think.

Pain in the tits at this stage. Second hand unit buckled, so old disk Carrier has to come off the old unit, oil leak from the abs sensor and reading the wrong speed. 200 notes wasted I think.

A brave statement on here , it really is a crap design though ,I never forgave my GS after that ,now riding with a conventional swing arm & chain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

give it a good clean and phone the nearest BMW dealership with your frame number

There are quite a few recalls for that era of bike

Worth a try to start off with.

Its worth checking out if its coming out of the FD or coming out of the gearbox output which is a favourite on these bikes !

You can still sell the FD you purchased

Options to fix the problem remain as before: get Mikey to rebuild, or purchase rebuilt unit from Motorworks. With supply chain shutdowns, the longer you leave it the greater the risk you won't be able to get what you need

Yes. I intend to do that when funds and time are there.

But have a few more stupid question. I dont have a car and this is my only means to get to work.

Oil leak fixed. The ABS ring on the new FD is different. And is about 50% off so I plugged the hole by machining a bung.

IMG-20200410-131502846-HDR.jpg

IMG-20200410-131511755-HDR.jpg

So now I have no speedo...

Can the front unused ABS ring and sensor be used to for the speedo? Bike had the servo taken out a few years ago ..

The wheel carrier is bent on the new unit so once I make a puller I will be swapping . Should deal with the small buckle. Although I cant feel it when riding.

GPS in a lockable mount for speed ? Or just remove every time?

Did your ABS sensor fit the sensor hole?? There were 04 ~ 06 versions and 06 on versions You can only use the relevant years on the bike i.e up to 06 and Post 06 There were two sizes of sensor

It was "supposed" to be that the ABS unit read the speedo via the front in the case of a rear failure So try disconnecting the rear sensor you have and do a couple of runs

I remember now the 06 on sensor won;t fit on the loom of a pre 06 bike

Not sure if you can extend the rear abs bike loom to reach the front abs sensor connection Do NOT cut the plug to sensor wires cut the standard copper wires "IF" you want to try it

I have no idea if it will work or not Sorry but you can cut and shut the loom wires much easier than those ABS sensor cables they are a curse to deal with

GPS in a lockable mount for speed ? Or just remove every time?

Did your ABS sensor fit the sensor hole?? There were 04 ~ 06 versions and 06 on versions You can only use the relevant years on the bike i.e up to 06 and Post 06 There were two sizes of sensor

It was "supposed" to be that the ABS unit read the speedo via the front in the case of a rear failure So try disconnecting the sensor you have and do a couple of runs

It didn't switch over on mine, i made a lead to take the front ABS sensor to the rear , to test it out.

I believe when you servoectomise the machine, this is one of the things that gets screwed up ( mine was snipped too)

It didn't switch over on mine, i made a lead to take the front ABS sensor to the rear , to test it out.

I believe when you servoectomise the machine, this is one of the things that gets screwed up ( mine was snipped too)

Depends how you do it? If its the main hydraulics have been thrown away but the "brain" retained, then the speedo should be fine

Its in the brain section

It looks like a bit of pin swapping might work. They are the same sensor. I guess it depends on how the bike counts the signal.
IMG-20200410-143258809.jpg

IMG-20200410-131524889.jpg

Depends how you do it? If its the main hydraulics have been thrown away but the "brain" retained, then the speedo should be fine

Its in the brain section

Sorry, brain dead moment ;) It didn't switch over automatically, i used to have odd failures of the speedo, and it would never switch over to one or

another of the ABS sensors and couldn't work out if it was the front or rear ABS sensor that had failed.

So my first option was to take the front sensor, and transfer it to the rear & vice versa. However age & corrosion ensured that the front sensor was

bloody welded to the front stantion leg, so i made a extension cable to run the front abs sensor to the rear connector -- it worked, but if i recall my

speed was way out, or it seemed way out. An A road which i would normally do 60 on said i was doing 80+

I put it down to the different size reluctor ring on the front, as opposed to the small internal one on the rear ...

Yes it was snipped, but the tronics pack was still there ;)

Once i had Mikey rebuild my final drive it never failed again lol

I have come across rear sensor failure a number of times both on bikes i've owned and on others and each time, after a couple or
more miles, the speedo "woke up" as the ECU switched to the front sensor and, all would be well until the ignition was switched off, whereupon,
at next start up, it went through the same procedure. A downside to that is you lost out on a couple of miles being recorded each time.
This applies to a sensor that is being recognised but isn't sending what a GS911 records as a "incoherrent signal". If i disconnected the sensor
completely so the ECU couldn't detect anything, the speedo worked immediately, no waiting time.
I have recently gone through this, for a second time, on my TC GS. I got a sensor for 40 quid or so from MW and that did the job.

Reading this thread re-affirms mine and i daresay other posters here opinion that there is, really, only one way to sort FD problems of this kind; that way was spelt out clearly at the start of it.

Anyway KP100, having gone down the path you have, i hope you manage to get it sorted satisfactorily :thumb2

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom