Advise needed please. Final Drive wows.

KP100

Reaction score
TThZ8vP

There is quite alot of movement on the input shaft. I think the bearing and seal are completly goosed. Is it a big job to fix?

https://ibb.co/TThZ8vP

Yeah doesn't look like it's meant to! The pinion bearings are not an easy job from what I understand, and BMW probably won't do the work. Mikeyboy does most of the FD reconditions for people on here. He is in the Midlands. There must be someone in Rep. Ireland who can do it too. Perhaps others on here know?

Dam. I was hoping it would simply pull out when I took off the nut. Does the R1200 RT use the same unit?

To just undo the pinion nut you need to build a very substantial jig to hold the final drive the correct tool to fit the nut and I use a 3 foot 3/4 drive snap on power bar.
The R1200RT final drives will fit but some of them are different ratio`s so may cause ABS problems.
Easiest way is to pop it in a box with Mikeyboys name on it. (Overland & Classic).
Good Luck.

Yeah doesn't look like it's meant to! The pinion bearings are not an easy job from what I understand, and BMW probably won't do the work. Mikeyboy does most of the FD reconditions for people on here. He is in the Midlands. There must be someone in Rep. Ireland who can do it too. Perhaps others on here know?
Most of the dealers are probably closed for now.
So parts may be a problem,both motorbins and motorworks carry the parts as well so as long as they continue to trade,it can be sorted.:thumby:

Well thats that then.. Second hand unit it is. price of parts , postage to the UK and back, labour would be hundreds I rekon.

Im going to look at a second hand one tomorrow. 200 euro. He said bearings are good, needs outside spindle seal though.

Well thats that then.. Second hand unit it is. price of parts , postage to the UK and back, labour would be hundreds I rekon.

Dont be hasty

Speak to Mikey

you could spend a big wodge on getting a SH unit only for it to be on it's last legs, or fail within a few hundred miles.

OK, from NI the postage isnt going to be cheap ... but then again neither is the postage from Motorworks or Sherlocks

At least if Mikey does the work, you know you've got a pukka unit for years to come

Ive tired the cheapo reoute before, it costs you dear in the long run

ive just run some figures on UPS for delivery from your location to Mikey based on a 20Kg package its £22.49 ish it may be less

Mine failed at 15k , sent to Mikeyboy for a job well done, honestly crap design single side swing arms , style over substance.

Got a second hand one. I think my one could be repaired. If I can figure out how to replace the seal on the pinion . I think water got in through the abs sensor and pushed the oil out. Was full of water. Wheel bearing is running perfect.

Got a second hand one. I think my one could be repaired. If I can figure out how to replace the seal on the pinion . I think water got in through the abs sensor and pushed the oil out. Was full of water. Wheel bearing is running perfect.

Water more likely got in through the breather.

There's a guy in County Sligo who works on BMWs, not far from Sligo town.
Possibly right on the edge of Lough Gill, IIRC

Dont be hasty

Speak to Mikey

you could spend a big wodge on getting a SH unit only for it to be on it's last legs, or fail within a few hundred miles.

OK, from NI the postage isnt going to be cheap ... but then again neither is the postage from Motorworks or Sherlocks

At least if Mikey does the work, you know you've got a pukka unit for years to come

Ive tired the cheapo reoute before, it costs you dear in the long run

ive just run some figures on UPS for delivery from your location to Mikey based on a 20Kg package its £22.49 ish it may be less

Wot he said. Oh, and read between the lines of what Mikeyboys says. Who does Motorworks use to get theirs done???????>>??????????

You know. My original has not had the recall steel disc carrier done. I wonder if I could send in a 15 year old bike now to get it done. They might fix the input seal cheap.

Oil would come out before water got in.
What year bike?
Has it got rubber breather on the top?
Ignore,
If it has alloy carrier it’s an earlier one
Most likely scenario,one of the swingsrm boots wasn’t fitted correctlyor is split,
water has gathered and corroded the compression ring where the seal runs,on cooling the unit has drawn the water in.
This has been going on for some time.

Back
Top Bottom