How do I send a route from MyRoute on an iPad to the XT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

(RIP) Spangle

Reaction score
Help needed here before the toys depart the pram!

Can anyone point me to instruction on how to export routes from MyRouteApp (web based) on an iPad to the XT?

I’m becoming blinded by science & too much software: Garmin Drive, Garmin Smartlink, Garmin Express...all too much!

Any help gratefully received

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have created you a fresh thread, as I am sure this question will come up more than once.

Assuming what you want to do is even possible, I don’t know the answer but if it can be done, I guess it might possibly be similar to sending a gpx route to a Garmin watch. If so, give the following a go, lifted from: https://www.wareable.com/garmin/how-to-add-gpx-routes-to-your-garmin-gps-watch-4470

I haven’t got the watch or an XT, nor do I use Garmin Connect but I assume the amended instructions for a transfer to an XT might read something like:

1. Download the Garmin Connect App to your phone and register

2. Download or create a GPX file in MyRoute or similar third party software

3. Upload a GPX file into Garmin Connect on your phone

4. Sync your XT device and your phone via Bluetooth

5. Select the route via your Garmin Device as normal

Let us know if it works, please. If it does, great. If it doesn’t...... No doubt early adaptor Nutty will have been creating routes and syncing them with his spanking new Garmin XT, so he’ll be able to tell us how it is done, simply and properly.

I don't have any apple products out of principal
Also i think you can have too many other programs
I only use basecamp and mapsource
I would have thought if you can save the route as a GPX then import it into basecamp than send it to the XT that should work

OP you are speaking of the Garmin sumo XT ?

i use Myroute alot, i make the route on an apple mac .plug in the nav then export, it shows in trip lanner and works flawlessly. last year i took my pad to elope fully loaded with routes on the my route app, just in case i wanted to change anything , i would have then transferred it to the nav. I spoke to Myroute in aug last year.they told me unless you can plug the nav into the iPad you won't be able to export. I am thinking you will have the same issue with an XT. they may have updated some software where you can bluetooth the file over, but other than that I'm told it has to be a wired connection between the two components . I haven't looked but there might be an adapter cable with lighting one end mini USB the other, which would then connect them , but wether they would send and receive i dont know

Watching thread with interest .

I don't have any apple products out of principal
Also i think you can have too many other programs
I only use basecamp and mapsource
I would have thought if you can save the route as a GPX then import it into basecamp than send it to the XT that should work

Yes, vey interesting but....

A. The OP wants (as many do *) to create routes in MyRoute, not in BaseCamp or Mapsource

B. He wants to use his iPad, not a home computer running Garmin's propriatory route creation / transfer software

C. He then wants to get the routes from his iPad into his spanking new Garmin XP device, presumably (though I may be wrong) by trying to exploit the device's improved method of updating its software via Bluetooth, that bods are getting all excited about. Whether it can be done via Bluetooth (as Garmin's watch can do) is, to me at least, unknown. If he wants to get then from his iPad to the XP via a wired connection, he hasn't mentioned it. It is possible (see other threads) but it's a faff.

Unfortunately, your reply does noting by way of answering his request.

* I don't share their enthusiasm for working outside of a Garmin environment. But hey, that's my choice and theirs. I do though like Apple's products and am not too adverse of adding new applications if they are useful. Garmin's additional app's are not, though others value them, I guess.

The way to get routes into the XT is via the Garmin Drive app. Despite much talk of Garmin Explore in relation to the Garmin Zumo XT, Garmin Explore (and none of the other Garmin apps) support the XT. Pair it with your Zumo XT.

As I understand it, do the following:

Create the route in MyRoute on the iPad. Export it using the little box with an arrow through it, and select Garmin Drive as the destination.
Open the Garmin Drive app (paired to your Zumo XT) and follow the instructions

OP you are speaking of the Garmin sumo XT ?

i use Myroute alot, i make the route on an apple mac .plug in the nav then export, it shows in trip lanner and works flawlessly. last year i took my pad to elope fully loaded with routes on the my route app, just in case i wanted to change anything , i would have then transferred it to the nav. I spoke to Myroute in aug last year.they told me unless you can plug the nav into the iPad you won't be able to export. I am thinking you will have the same issue with an XT. they may have updated some software where you can bluetooth the file over, but other than that I'm told it has to be a wired connection between the two components . I haven't looked but there might be an adapter cable with lighting one end mini USB the other, which would then connect them , but wether they would send and receive i dont know

Watching thread with interest .

Sumo XT? Is that the Japanese edition?

Yup, he means the Garmin zūmo XT, the new model, released a couple of weeks ago. Like Garry H, you have missed the point that the OP wants to avoid a home computer and use an iPad. He then wants to get his MyRoute generated routes from his iPad to his XT via the there (with help from Bluetooth)..... if indeed that is possible.....

The way to get routes into the XT is via the Garmin Drive app. Despite much talk of Garmin Explore in relation to the Garmin Zumo XT, Garmin Explore (and none of the other Garmin apps) support the XT. Pair it with your Zumo XT.

As I understand it, do the following:

Create the route in MyRoute on the iPad. Export it using the little box with an arrow through it, and select Garmin Drive as the destination.
Open the Garmin Drive app (paired to your Zumo XT) and follow the instructions

At last, an answer that might make some sense and offer a realistic possibility. It's broadly the same as the guessed method in post 2, simply substituting Garmin Drive for Garmin Connect.

Does it work? That's the burning question.

Come on you XP owners, spill the beans. Can it be done and, if so, how?

Bingo! I hope. Thank you, Cheney Triumph

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J8bXd3XQ2z4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Note, OP, that the crazy Dutch man in the video is using a PC, not an iPad. All I can suggest is you trying to replicate what he is going on your iPad. I can't try it as I don't have an XT or I would

Hi all, thanks for suggestions. My reason for replacing my trusty 660 for the XT was solely for the ability to create & transfer routes from iPhone/iPad so I wouldn’t have to take the MacBook on trips: not that that’d be any help anyway because my MacBook refuses to recognise the XT! I’ve uninstalled my Apple download of Basecamp & replaced with Garmin version but still no joy.

Wapping & Berin - I’ve dedicated tonight’s isolation to trying your suggestions, thanks

Cheney - I tried that video last night. Towards the end of the vid he actually goes through iPhone to XT Bluetooth transfer but I can’t get my iPhone to replicate the export process from MyRoute (app not web) to Garmin Drive.

In total, there are 27 different Garmin apps at the moment, or so it seems to me. Woods for the trees, innit...

They do have a lot of apps, but Drive is the right one. I have MyRoute on my phone, and it was easy to create of download a route and then select it to send to another app - but I couldn't test it with Drive because it requires a Garmin connected device to start. I would imagine, though, that once paired it just appears on you IOS device as one of the apps that you can send the route to, or that you export it to the IOS file system and then import it to Drive.

Keen to hear how it works!

They do have a lot of apps, but Drive is the right one. I have MyRoute on my phone, and it was easy to create of download a route and then select it to send to another app - but I couldn't test it with Drive because it requires a Garmin connected device to start. I would imagine, though, that once paired it just appears on you IOS device as one of the apps that you can send the route to, or that you export it to the IOS file system and then import it to Drive.

Keen to hear how it works!

Thanks Berin, I’ll report back later

I have created you a fresh thread, as I am sure this question will come up more than once.

Assuming what you want to do is even possible, I don’t know the answer but if it can be done, I guess it might possibly be similar to sending a gpx route to a Garmin watch. If so, give the following a go, lifted from: https://www.wareable.com/garmin/how-to-add-gpx-routes-to-your-garmin-gps-watch-4470

I haven’t got the watch or an XT, nor do I use Garmin Connect but I assume the amended instructions for a transfer to an XT might read something like:

1. Download the Garmin Connect App to your phone and register

2. Download or create a GPX file in MyRoute or similar third party software

3. Upload a GPX file into Garmin Connect on your phone

4. Sync your XT device and your phone via Bluetooth

5. Select the route via your Garmin Device as normal

Let us know if it works, please. If it does, great. If it doesn’t...... No doubt early adaptor Nutty will have been creating routes and syncing them with his spanking new Garmin XT, so he’ll be able to tell us how it is done, simply and properly.

Garmin Connect only used for exercise devices Rich. No satnavs listed on compatible devices

Cracked it!

As per Berin in #9 via Garmin Drive & Cheney in #11 with the Dutch YouTube vid.

I tried this last night but it all fell apart when I hit ‘export’ in MyRoute - for some reason it didn’t offer Garmin Drive as an export option.

I’ve now simply transferred an existing route from MyRoute to the XT & saved it on the device. Marvellous!

My next adventure is to get Basecamp to recognise the XT on the MacBook...

Excellent. There are some issues with the XT and Basecamp, in that it doesn't appear as a device in Finder, but it should work with Basecamp and Express.

Sumo XT? Is that the Japanese edition?

Yup, he means the Garmin zūmo XT, the new model, released a couple of weeks ago. Like Garry H, you have missed the point that the OP wants to avoid a home computer and use an iPad. He then wants to get his MyRoute generated routes from his iPad to his XT via the there (with help from Bluetooth)..... if indeed that is possible.....

Not so. I understood exactly that the op wants to transfer from an iPad to his Garmin, I was telling him i had tried last year and couldn't. Post 8/9 looks the way forward now , Many thanks

Not so. I understood exactly that the op wants to transfer from an iPad to his Garmin, I was telling him i had tried last year and couldn't. Post 8/9 looks the way forward now , Many thanks

The XT wsn’t out last year, it was only available from earlier this month.

Th OP was asking if wireless transfer of a route can be done using an iPad into the new XT, not about some attempt last year into an older and different device.

The answer is yes it can, see post #17. A new device and a year of progress, I guess.

:beerjug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom