part way along a saved route, stop the route then restart it. A problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garry what happens if you leave the route stop it get to where you want off the route, stay the night, get up switch the sat nav on, do not start your original route at this point, and ask it to take you to a point that would be on the route you were traveling the day before you then get to that point fire your original route back up and start it. in other words it would be like stopping the route and starting it without leaving the route.
answers on a post card please

you can stop the route not move a fecing inch and restart it and it won't play ball at all

you can stop the route not move a fecing inch and restart it and it won't play ball at all

so what occurs if you do that, and does it not play ball all the time or only when waypoints are there or do shaping points cause the not playing ball,

..... 1 problem solved.... If you use a waypoint at the start and end and shaping points for all the other that cures the fixation on taking you to a waypoint
So you can navigate the route fine

Great. That confirms that your XT device is behaving just like any other modern Garmin device. So far that is two "My XT is useless and needs a significant software update" problems cured, with no software update. Just one comment, the start point A and the finish point B are always waypoints, you cannot change them to be anything else. The device needs them fixed or it cannot calculate or display any route between them.

....one (problem) remaining

OK, let's see if we can address that one, too. For this exercise I have to assume that the screens you see on your XT are the same or pretty similar to my Nav V, which I am using for the purposes of this exercise. If they are different, see if you can work out the differences and go from there. If they are totally different, we will have to think of something else. Now.....

Touch Apps

Touch Trip Planner

Touch the A to B route with no intervening waypoints

You should see a screen that looks like this:

0944a5355423ab430c794c849eb96182.plist

Touch Map - Do not touch GO

You should see a screen that looks like this, with the magenta line of you route on it:

03cbe6331aa4ad484a1055f896053e3c.plist

Now, be patient....

In the picture above, my gps (you can just about see the bike cursor) happened to be right at the start of the route, so I could quite happily have selected the destination as B. I am 100% confident that the route from A to B would not recalculate. I could ride it quite happily.

Now, to use your example, if I were say off the map, say two miles away, I probably wouldn’t even see the magenta line. If I selected A it would take me to the start point and then stop, which would be useless. If I touched B, it would in all probability calculate me a fresh route that would take me from my position, straight to B; a route created by the device and based on my preference settings. Useless to me again, as I want to join my pre-planned route, somewhere between A and B.

Zoom the map in and out a bit, either by using the + and - buttons or your fingers, shrinking and expanding the view. You might need to drag the map around a bit too, by hand. Find the cursor, this is where you are. Look at the map, just as if it were a paper map and work out for yourself the roads to ride to get wherever it is you want to be on the magenta line. This is the old equivalent of, "Please drive to highlighted route". Ride along the roads, towards the magenta line. The cursor will move across the map, matching your position BUT the map will NOT scroll: this is normal. As a consequence of the map not scrolling and depending on your the distance you have to ride to reach the magenta line and the number of roads (I am in London central so there are hundreds) you may have to drag the map manually as you ride along. In other words, treat the screen as it it were a simple paper map. Soon enough you will reave the magenta line, point your bike in the correct direction.....

You are still on the map screen.

Push the back button, lower left hand corner

This will bring you back to the screen you started with, which should still look like this:

0944a5355423ab430c794c849eb96182.plist

Now touch GO

You will have the usual two choices A and B

Select B

Touch Start

Your pre-made route should now run just fine

Over to you.........

Thanks for all the effort but.....Sorry Wapping i just don't see what all that has got to do with what the XT is doing
select the end point when you are on the route and it will take you to the end obviously
But not the way your route that you uploaded will

"Your pre-made route should now run just fine"......No it does not THATS THE ISSUE

As for a modern Garmin device the 276cx is current and it does not behave like that...or does the montana
With the 276cx you can join the route anywhere it does not matter if you use waypoints or shaping points
The unit just realizes you are going in the correct direction along the preplanned route and starts to run it again correctly

The XT just won't do this ( despite me trying all the suggestions i have had and a few of my own )
This is a real pity and i hope it is sorted in firmware because it is a serious flaw in a otherwise good unit
I can remember when the montana first came out it did a simular thing that was sorted with a firmware update ...I know because i had one of the very first montana's

so what occurs if you do that, and does it not play ball all the time or only when waypoints are there or do shaping points cause the not playing ball,

The only way it will start the route again correctly for sure is if you are sat just behind a route waypoint then the closest entry point works fine
A shaping point does not seem to get recognized as a rejoin point

You said elsewhere that you couldn’t find a way to ride to reach a pre-planned A to B route without running it. I have tried to show you one way of doing it, by pushing the Map button and by not pushing the GO button. My A to B route hasn’t vanished, I could ride to it quite comfortably. I am confident that my self-made A to B route could be started at that point and would run to B once I was sitting on the magenta line.

But, your XT can’t or won’t start itself mid-route, unless it is very close to a waypoint just ahead of it. We can try to deal with that separate problem later if we can or we’ll just have to accept that the XT (or at least your XT) cannot start to run a pre-made route from a mid-route entry point. We have cleared up two problems and their causes, let’s not give up now.

If you want to continue, it really is up to you.

If you do, can you (or can you not) use my ‘Map button’ method to get yourself to the magenta line of your pre-planned A to B route, ie doing the equivalent of “Please ride to the highlighted route”. If you try it and say you can, great. That’ll be one more impossible problem knocked for six.

If you try using my method and you can’t get to the magenta line, we can just accept that it can’t be done and you can do whatever you like. I’d start by returning your expensive XT from wherever you bought it from for a full refund.

It would be really helpful to hear from any other XT users, what their experience is, please.

The only way it will start the route again correctly for sure is if you are sat just behind a route waypoint then the closest entry point works fine

So with that in mind whats to stop you editing the saved trip and putting a way point in at a point somwhere close in front of you.
Looking at the manual it gives you a how to edit trip.

That is definitely a good potential workaround, as suggested in post #38 too.

There are other things you can do, too. You could display the route, tap on it at a convenient spot, create a waypoint at that spot and insert it into your route. Then, when you fire up the route you’d have three choices: A, your original start, a new B your freshly created waypoint and C, your original end point. Choose, B and all will be good....

Garry, two tasks, if you would be as kind:

1. Can you try riding to meet the route, using the ‘Map method’, please. Does it work?

2. As an additional and quite separate task, with the added advantage that your self-created route should then run, does Lee’s suggested workaround work?

If 1 and be or 2 work, we’ll have solved something more. That will only leave the problem by which your XT will not run a route without recalculating from a mid-route entry point, when you are sat snack bang on the road of the route itself.

I admit I am so far baffled as to why your XT won’t or can’t run a self-created route from a mid-route start point, when you are sat right on top of the correct road, as it removes at a stroke the value of creating ones own routes in BaseCamp. I, and I am sure Lee too, believe you. We share you frustration and want to try to help you to fix it if we can, assuming that is it can even be mended.

What would really help is if someone with an XT could see if they can run a pre-made A to B route from a mid-route entry point, too. I don’t doubt what Garry is telling us he’s experiencing. Having more people try (even if they fail) would assist greatly. I am half tempted to buy an XT just to see what the damned thing is doing.... if someone would lend me one, I’d have a go.

So with that in mind whats to stop you editing the saved trip and putting a way point in at a point somwhere close in front of you.
Looking at the manual it gives you a how to edit trip.

That looks like a possible work around and i will try it when i am out doing some more testing
But having a play sat at home it looks like if you add anything to the route it forces a recalculate and that will change the route for sure :blast

Yep Wapping it would be great if someone else with a XT could have a play too
You can not assume the XT works the same as a well sorted out older Garmin zumo with firmware updates that have addressed issues in the past
Like i said i am sure this will be fixed by Garmin...You should not need to feck about with adding points ect for it to know where you have joined a route and just carry on from that point

I would also like to say thanks to the people who are spending time trying to help with this :thumb2

I agree, you definitely shouldn’t have to add a waypoint into an existing route, just to make it restart correctly from an entry point at halfway. The device should recognise that you are standing on the right road, pointing near enough in the correct direction. That is what is doing my head in, as well as yours and Lee’s.

Anyone with an XT out there who can assist, as I am running out of ideas.... short of a hammer.

Just been having a play and here is a strange one

Put it into simulator mode
go to navigate a route
you then get the option of start, end or closest entry point
select end ( you would think that would take you to the end of the route )
but it does not is makes the simulated location jump to the start of the route :confused:

This is great for checking out routes you have uploaded to the XT

The best work around i have found for uploading a route is to do this

Create a route in basecamp
Turn the route into a track in basecamp
Send the said track to the XT
Go to tracks on the XT and convert the track to a trip

this will generate a trip based on the track with lots of points along it...It will also sort out any points you have put 50 meters off the road
Then when you want to restart the route at any point chances are you are going to be very close to one
and use the closest entry point...Most of the time this will work :thumb

That looks like a possible work around and i will try it when i am out doing some more testing
But having a play sat at home it looks like if you add anything to the route it forces a recalculate and that will change the route for sure :blast

Not according to the manual that says (quote) The device calculates a route from your current location to the selected location, and then it guides you to the remaining trip destinations in order. so unless your unit is faulty or the manual is incorrect or i am interpretating it wrong or you are doing something wrong, thats what it says it should do.
And in all fairness thats how i would expect it to work.

Again trying things in simulation mode is very limited to say the least,

Not according to the manual that says (quote) The device calculates a route from your current location to the selected location, and then it guides you to the remaining trip destinations in order. so unless your unit is faulty or the manual is incorrect or i am interpretating it wrong or you are doing something wrong, thats what it says it should do.
And in all fairness thats how i would expect it to work.

Again trying things in simulation mode is very limited to say the least,

Yes it does but it uses it's own calculation metord to reroute you and unless you have a lot of waypoints in the route to force it's hand it will not be the same as the original
It only uses waypoint and not shaping points to do this
So if you have a start point and a finsh point in a u shape with waypoints at the start and finish and shaping points in the middle it will route to the finish using the calculation methord selected by the XT and miss loads of the original route out
I have tested this out on the road

You need to try a XT out before you can assume it works like other garmin units..The firmware is still very new and will be devoloped a lot over time

Yes it does but it uses it's own calculation metord to reroute you and unless you have a lot of waypoints in the route to force it's hand it will not be the same as the original
It only uses waypoint and not shaping points to do this
So if you have a start point and a finsh point in a u shape with waypoints at the start and finish and shaping points in the middle it will route to the finish using the calculation methord selected by the XT and miss loads of the original route out
I have tested this out on the road

You need to try a XT out before you can assume it works like other garmin units..The firmware is still very new and will be devoloped a lot over time

You say i am asuming, i can asure i am not, in the above post i did say that i may have interpreted it wrong and in which case if i have so be it, I am big enough to admit when i get things wrong, so you have been out and tried the method suggested above, so now you know you have to have a few waypoints in strategic places to hold the route in position, so that when you do the above method it does not alter the route, yes? and that should now give you the ability to do what you were trying to do, join the pre determined route part way.

It is hard to imagine but, this is all reads as if the XT is designed to cater for people who do not want to create their own routes at all.

But that doesn’t make sense as it will pick up on a self-made route, if:

1. The owner is at the start of the route

2. There are waypoints along the route that, if the route is stopped, the device can be told to aim for. When the targeted waypoint is reached the self-made route continues quite normally, apparently

It’s the device’s inability to restart a self-made A to B route, from say midway, that is so odd and completely unlike any other Garmin device I have ever owned since the Quest.

Await Garry’s news on whether:

1. The ride to highlighted route idea worked in action

2. Lee’s idea of inserting a waypoint worked in action

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom