part way along a saved route, stop the route then restart it. A problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garry, one question more please.

Can you tell us:

A. In what mode (motorbike, car, bicycle, off-road, direct etc) you created your route in

B. The preference settings for BaseCamp on your PC, for the same mode

C. In what mode on your device are you carrying out the tests

D. The preference settings for that mode on your XT

Why am I asking?

I recall that last September I ran my Nav VI with a self-made route in motorbike mode but I ran it in the car, in a very basic cradle. The device switched itself into car mode, detecting that it was in a car cradle. That is not unexpected. What it also did, which I did not expect, was switch on auto-recalculate, which I always have turned off.

Is it possible that this is happening on your XT, too?

I am now clutching at straws.

Garry, one question more please.

Can you tell us:

A. In what mode (motorbike, car, bicycle, off-road, direct etc) you created your route in

B. The preference settings for BaseCamp on your PC, for the same mode

C. In what mode on your device are you carrying out the tests

D. The preference settings for that mode on your XT

Why am I asking?

I recall that last September I ran my Nav VI with a self-made route in motorbike mode but I ran it in the car, in a very basic cradle. The device switched itself into car mode, detecting that it was in a car cradle. That is not unexpected. What it also did, which I did not expect, was switch on auto-recalculate, which I always have turned off.

Is it possible that this is happening on your XT, too?

I am now clutching at straws.

I am using the XT and basecamp set the same
Both motorbike shortest route with the same avoids
Yep i know this can be a issue and am aware of it

You say i am asuming, i can asure i am not, in the above post i did say that i may have interpreted it wrong and in which case if i have so be it, I am big enough to admit when i get things wrong, so you have been out and tried the method suggested above, so now you know you have to have a few waypoints in strategic places to hold the route in position, so that when you do the above method it does not alter the route, yes? and that should now give you the ability to do what you were trying to do, join the pre determined route part way.

Yes it would work .....But you need loads of waypoints to force the XT hand because it will recalculate between them so it won't be the same route you wanted ( far too many on a long route )
and if you happen to place one 50 meters off the road or the wrong way at a junction your route is going to cause you nothing but hassle

I still stand by what i say ...this will be sorted i am sure with a firmware update

Garry you say yes it would work have you tested it ?, the only reason i ask , is because if it does and its been tested by yourself other people will know there is a work around for this problem, until the fix you are sure will come arrives.
Thank you for pointing out the problems with this unit. i feel sure anyone reading this will think twice before buying one before all the problems are sorted.

Lee this is my work around ( i posted this a few post ago )

Create a route in basecamp
Turn the route into a track in basecamp
Send the said track to the XT
Go to tracks on the XT and convert the track to a trip

Other wise you will be creating a route with shit loads of waypoints ( at most junctions where there is a choice ! )

that is fine if you have basecamp but most on hear do not use it for one reason or another, they use mapsource thats why i asked if it worked, mapsource wont convert route to track, or you never know people may want to use a shit load of waypoints, either way its another alternative, but only if it works,
I also forgot to ask do you turn your routes into trips using the sat nav.

I use mapsource too and like it
But to turn you back on basecamp is not wise..it has some very useful features
Route to track is one of them

Loads of waypoints does work but it's not my preferred method and has other potential problems

that is fine if you have basecamp but most on hear do not use it for one reason or another, they use mapsource thats why i asked if it worked, mapsource wont convert route to track.

There's other very simple ways of converting to a track, I forget the program offhand but if it's useful I can check the name on my laptop.

WinGDB3 is what you are looking for Tim
You could use this and mapsource :thumb2

Another advantage of using bascamp is you will have the latest maps from the XT to plan a route from

I am using the XT and basecamp set the same
Both motorbike shortest route with the same avoids
Yep i know this can be a issue and am aware of it

You gave us an (admittedly illustrative) example of the recalculation bridging A to B, across the mouth of the letter, U. That, in the event of a recalculation, would indeed be across the top, it being the shortest route, between A and B. It might throw some light on why the recalculations are so extreme. It still though doesn’t explain in inability of the device to run a self-made route from its midway point, if the route has been stopped.

I take it that you haven’t tried the two requests yet?

Has nobody else on UKGSer got an XT that they can use to see if they can replicate Garry H’s finding, vis-a-vis the devices inability to restart a route from midway?

Does anyone have one that I can borrow, please.

There's other very simple ways of converting to a track, I forget the program offhand but if it's useful I can check the name on my laptop.

Tim thank you for that, although i wasnt asking for myself, more for the people who will only use mapsource and will not use anything else, i use basecamp 95% of the time for when i am on bike or in car and have no problems with it or mapsource, there are other pieces of software i use for walking routes. Two more below you can use for converting.

GPSVISUALIZER

GPS BABEL

I use mapsource too and like it
But to turn you back on basecamp is not wise..it has some very useful features
Route to track is one of them

Loads of waypoints does work but it's not my preferred method and has other potential problems

Thank you for testing it to see that it works, Again the reason for asking is there are many people who will ONLY use mapsource and nothing else.

If you "ONLY use mapsource and nothing else"
I think you are missing out on a lot of features that basecamp offers :nenau
Plus Mapsource does not even recognize the XT is connected ( i know you can save the files from mapsource and trasfer them to the XT on the pc ) But one of the GPX files i transfered this way the XT did not like
IMHO if you have a modern Garmin GPS you really need to get your head around basecamp

Another methord i tried that woks well on the simulator but i need to test on the road is ( and again you need basecamp )

Plan a route in your normal way ( it does not matter how you do it )
Turn the route into a track
Then convert the track back to a route in basecamp

Then when you restart the route as long as you are closer to the junction infront of you when you are sat on the route it works fine ( if you are off route it will take you to the fist junction join point )

If you "ONLY use mapsource and nothing else"
I think you are missing out on a lot of features that basecamp offers :nenau
Plus Mapsource does not even recognize the XT is connected ( i know you can save the files from mapsource and trasfer them to the XT on the pc ) But one of the GPX files i transfered this way the XT did not like
IMHO if you have a modern Garmin GPS you really need to get your head around basecamp

Another methord i tried that woks well on the simulator but i need to test on the road is ( and again you need basecamp )

Plan a route in your normal way ( it does not matter how you do it )
Turn the route into a track
Then convert the track back to a route in basecamp

Then when you restart the route as long as you are closer to the junction infront of you when you are sat on the route it works fine ( if you are off route it will take you to the fist junction join point )

Garry i have no issue with basecamp been using it since 2.0,4 or 5, its others on here and elsewhere that call it from a dog to a turd, to them its the devils spawn. You only have to browse this thread https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/459554-BaseCamp-is-shite-Get-it-off-your-chest-here, to get an idea of the hatred there is for it.

Nice one Lee nothing wrong with basecamp :beerjug:

I think one of the reasons people hate basecamp is because they can't get there head around it
Or it's differnt so they won't give it a try...My mate was like this and only used mapsource saying basecamp was crap until i went and showed him what extra it does over mapsource..Now it's all he uses !
What i often do is create routes in mapsource because i think it is easier to do
But i then cut and past the routes into basecamp to recalculate them for the GPS using the GPS's mapping so they match
Then transfer them to the GPS through basecamp

Basecamp is light years ahead of mapsource with what you can do with it...Plus mapsource does not even recognize a lot of modern Garmin units

Garry, putting the joys of BaseCamp (which I share) to one side, can we return to the very real problem you have encountered and the suggested fault with you XT or XT's in general. I think we can agree that there is definitely something weird about what you have experienced. It would be good to resolve it one way or another, not just for you but for other XT owners, maybe worried by what you are reporting as a serious glitch. We have sucessfully managed to allay your concerns with two (maybe three) issues, so we might as well crack if we can, the last. Agreed?

Three small questions please, none of which require you going out with your XT or running any route simulations.

When you are you are mid-route, your XT shouldn’t prompt you for anything. Unless the the device's owner has deliberately canceled or stopped the route and is trying to restart it.

Are you:

(A) Hitting the 'X' button on the screen, to stop the route or stopping it in some other way?

OR

(B) Powering down the XT completely, through a long press of the power button?

OR

(C) Just putting the XT into sleep mode, through quick press on the power button or by letting it go into sleep mode on its own, as it will do naturally after a few minutes? I guess you are not doing this, or the route would not have stopped running at all.

Await your words....

As long as you don't touch the route and have placed all the waypoints so they are reachable ( ie not 50 meters off the road ) or if you overshoot a juction with a waypoint when planning a route then you must go to it
You will have no problems
Stop the route, turn the unit off, add a POI to the route infact do anything to it then the problems start

My workaround works and i what i reccomend until the firmware gets sortred ( hopefully ;) )

The amount of time i have spent playing with the XT i could write a book on it :eek:
But to be fair the more i use the XT the more i understand it the more i like it :thumb2

Good news, Garry.

It may not be exactly what you want to hear but, like others, I think your XT is behaving in exactly the same way as most reasonably modern Garmin devices do and certainly exactly as both my Nav V and Nav VI do. To test it out I did nothing more than ride my bicycle for several miles, around the streets of east London.

This is how I did it:

1. I first created a 5.4 mile A (home) to B (in Islington) route in Basecamp. This was a route, not a track or anything like that. To make it in a way representative of a longer day out type route, I made it very complicated, including a fiddly twiddly loop in a full circle around some narrow City of London alleys. In short, something difficult for the device to replicate and something that I would definitely notice had been changed through recalculation at any point

2. To guarantee I took the small City alleys, the route had shaping points, but no waypoints between A and B. This way it gave the two devices no additional help at all beyond shaping points

3. I left my house but first ensured that the route, as I was within inches of my front door A, would run properly. I fired up both devices and was (not unsurprisingly) presented with the simple choice, would I like to go to A or B. I chose B, the end point. On both devices the route displayed and functioned normally. I could ride it the 5.4 miles from A to B, around all the twiddly bits and the loop with 100% confidence

4. I then turned the routes off on both devices by stopping them, touching the 'X' button. On one device I went bit further still and turned it off completely with a long hold on the power button. In short, neither device could be running my route. They were both not active, one to all intents and purposes dead

5. I then deliberately rode my bicycle a mile away (in completely the wrong direction) from the route and stopped

6. I then fired up both devices again, went into Trip Planner and summoned up the route. I was, again, not surprisingly presented with the choice of the only two possible destinations, A or B

7. I chose B on both devices. Not surprisingly and just like your XT, both devices calculated me a fresh route from where I was standing to B. The route (again not surprisingly) was nothing like my wiggly route through the alleys of the City of London. It went direct to B. In a word, useless

8. I then stopped the route on both devices, turning one fully off again

9. Then I fired both devices up again and summoned up the route once more

10. I did not activate the route by hitting GO on either device. What would be the point? I know that I would only be presented with the same choice A or B and an inevitable recalculation which I do not want to see

11. Instead of hitting the GO button, I pushed the Map button. This brought up the magenta line of the still inactive route and showed my position about a mile off it

12. I zoomed the map in and out a bit to find a road to take so that I would meet the magenta line about half a mile from my house, well before the twiddly trip around the City of London's alleys and still about 5 miles short of the end destination, B

13. Using the screen as nothing more than a dumb map, I rode to meet the magenta line. In other words, doing the equivalent of: “Please drive to the highlighted route”. Please note, the map on the screen does not scroll in this mode of use but the position icon does move, just as you'd expect it to. To make the map scroll, drag it by hand or use the + / - buttons to zoom in and out

14. I arrived smack bang on the magenta line

15. I then used the back button to take me back to the device's routes' screen

16. This time, on both devices I pushed GO and was give the bog standard choice, A or B. As I knew I was standing on the magenta line and the position marker showed that I was, I chose B on both devices and.....

17. BINGO, again! Both devices display my homemade twiddly route (including all the little alleys) perfectly, giving me the routing direction from where I stood (I wasn't at the start point don't forget) for the next nearly 5 miles to B in Islington. A perfect double result, from two separate Garmin devices

18. Just to be very sure, I didn't move my position but I again stopped the route on both devices, turning one device right off. Nether device is now doing anything, one is fully dead. I short, they were little more than two plastic box of widgets. I might as well have been asleep in my bed at home, ahead of continuing the route the next day

19. I then fired up both devices again and summoned up the complex route. I pushed GO on both device, selecting B, from the usual simple two destination choice

20. BINGO! again. As I was stood on the magenta line both devices displayed and ran the twiddly route all the way to B

21. I then tried Lee's suggestion of inserting an additional waypoint along the route, using nothing more than the device's screen. Basically, I zoomed in on the route, touched it where I wanted to place the point. The point it is created as a waypoint by default, though it can be converted to a shaping point if required from within the device itself (see 23 below)

22. The device made a recaclution, inevitably but the route as a whole remained true

23. I stopped the route again and summoned it back up again. This time I was looking at three choices of destination: A (home, my original start point), a new B (the freshly created new waypoint) and C, my original end point. I could navigate to each with ease and absolute accuracy. Please note, when inserting fresh waypoints into a route, say for a fuel station, you need to be careful where in the route list it goes. This is editable via hitting the three horizontal bars in the top left corner of screen and hitting the Edit Destinations choice. This is a really useful screen as you can change the position of shaping and waypoints and change a waypoint into a shaping point and visa-versa. Each change will necessitate the device making a recalculation but it should be quite safe, depending on the device's preference settings. I have all mine turned to all but off, so the changes if any are usually small

24. On each device the recalculated route displayed and ran perfectly, true to the original

As far as I can tell and as far as is sensibly possible I have replicated the challenges you faced. In all this I fully appreciate I am not holding an XT in my hands. But, that being said, I can - through doing nothing more than operating two separate, reasonably modern, bog standard Garmin devices in their usual way - replicate (with no effort at all) exactly the problems you see on your XT, overcoming them without too much difficulty and certainly without fiddling about creating routes, converting them into tracks and then back again into routes. I am as confident as I can be that, had I been holding an XT, I could have done exactly the same, with exactly the same good results.

I have done all the above with the best intentions of helping you. If all this is nothing more than a lucky, twice occurring, separate coincidence on two separate devices and the XT you are holding is very different or in need of software fixes (or a belt with a hammer) so be it. However, I am struggling to believe that it is or can be. My only conclusion is that your XT is performing, not as you expect it to, but exactly as Garmin intends it should, all along. I am happy to hear news and views.

All the best, stay well!

Richard :beerjug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom