part way along a saved route, stop the route then restart it. A problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry H

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
One thing i have spotted is that if you are part way along a saved route and stop the route then restart it
The XT can do some strange things and change the route from what you have planned
i have found a way around it but for now but no doubt a update should sort the problem

One thing i have spotted is that if you are part way along a saved route and stop the route then restart it
The XT can do some strange things and change the route from what you have planned
i have found a way around it but for now but no doubt a update should sort the problem

Fresh thread created or all the XP stuff will end up in the 'New XP launched' thread.

Can you explain this a bit further please.

On most of the modern Garmin's, when you start running a route (or stop a route and then restart it) you get asked to where you'd like to go. This is by default always the two 'start' and 'end' points, and any predetermined waypoints in between that you might have created. If you are a a reasonable distance way from your pre-made route and select say 'end', the device will route you there, according to the criteria set in your device's preference settings. If there is only one road and and it happens to match your pre-made route, it will not make any difference. If there are several roads or choices, the device will calculate a fresh route to 'end' for you, based entirely on your preferences. Why will it do this? Because that is where you have told the device you want to go, string from wherever it is you happen to be.

Is that what you are seeing and experiencing? If it is, it is is not new nor peculiar to the new XP device. If it's not this and you have found / are experiencing something else, please let us know. We can then try to help you.

What work around fix have you discovered for the oddity, which you hope Garmin will fix?

Here is what happens
You start a preplanned route downloaded from basecamp
It follows it fine as long as you have transfered it correctly
Then say 30% through the route you cancel it
When you restart the route it gives you the option to start from thre begining or join at the nearest point
It will then take you to the start of the route if you pick the start wich is fair enough but then it fails to notice you are already 30% along the route and run the route from there
Also the route is no longer what you have planned it may have changed it
In other words it does not give you the option to restart where you left off
Starting from the closes point does not work at all

Try the same thing on a montana or a 276cx and it will realize where you are and just start from where you left off
Need the firmware sorting for this i recon

I can't see anyway round this apart from manually starting the route from a point along the route and then it will work if you pick the correct point ( trial and error )
But i do stand to be corrected if anyone knows better

I’ve met the problem of falling off a route and wondering what to do next.

As above, if you ask the device to take you to destination, or re-calc, then it will. But not via your planned route.

My approach - this isn’t a “workaround to a problem” - is to either stop the route and manually navigate to one of your pre-defined route waypoints then simply wake the route up again and carry in your way - or keep the route open, Do Not let the device recalculate and zoom out so you can see the route on the screen then just manually negotiate your way back onto the route. Hey presto, you’re on your way again.

Whenever you really, really want to follow a carefully planned route you must switch off auto-recalc to retain control of your journey. It will keep prompting you to recalc, but keep saying no thanks.

Germany is infamous for closing main roads for no obvious reason and bingo you’re diverted off your route.

Lat year I missed a motorway exit, taking me off my planned route and ended up through the middle of Antwerp - fuckin’ awful congestion through a tunnel under the river. I should have followed my own tips to get back on route avoiding the city altogether.

yep i allways turn recalculate off on my GPS's
I can do a far better job myself at getting back on route
I have found if you jump into the route at the nearest waypoint behind you in the route that seems to work
But you should not have to do this
With the 276cx if route recalculate is off you can be miles off the route and as soon as you rejoin the route it just carries on as if nothing had happened
I think this is just poor programming and i recon garmin will most likely sort it
The Montana had a very simular problem when it fist came out and Garmin addressed it so fingers crossed
It's a real pity that the 276cx has not got processing power of the zumo XT...Becasuse from ever other point of view the 276cx is a much more versatile unit

Garry H,

This ‘problem’ is not something new to the XT, it is something that has been present through several versions of Garmin devices for a number of years. As such I don’t see Garmin mending it any time soon. The cause is, I guess, that Garmin believe that most owners of their devices do not plot their own routes, they just rely on the device’s ability to take them from A (start) to B (end) or even A (start) to Z (end) via 24 different waypoints in between, all done according to whatever preferences the device’s opener has set. The owner does not care what roads the device takes, so long as they are not motorways (for example of a preference setting) and are windy or twisty, another preference setting. In short, these owners are always ‘on route’ as they can never be off it, as the device always creates the route for them. In short, Garmin has done what it thinks the majority of owners want. If in doubt, look at the number of people on this site who use their device in exactly that way or say: “Give me a route from my house to the south of France, great roads, no motorways”.

If you can accept that this is just the way things are and are likely to stay, you’ll be off to a head start. Trust me on that.

You, like me, like to create your own routes from scratch. A to B or A to Z, it matters not. The trick is:

1. To never stop running the route. You have recalculate turned off, so it will not recalculate. Just ride to the highlighted route and you’ll be good. This though is impractical, so....

2. By all means stop the route. When you set off again, fire up the device, summon up the route so that it appears on the map but do not necessarily run the route. In other words, briefly use the device like an old fashioned paper map, with a route drawn onto it with a highlighter. Then, simply navigate yourself onto the magenta line; the old Garmin voice instruction was, “Please navigate to highlighted route” *. When you are on the magenta line, then start start running the route. All should then be well; trust me, again.

There are other methods and everyone has their own favourite. I find method (2) reliable, so that is what I do. I too have recalculate turned off or on prompted, so that I (not my slave device) can dictate what I want the dumb slaves device to do, not the other way around. Do whatever works best for you.

* The modern day devices may well still say this or something similar. I don’t know as I have the voice prompts turned off. In other words, I use my device (running routes I have created from scratch) much like an old style silent paper map with a route highlighted on it. I just like it that way. Others don’t. That’s life. Why do I like it that way? Because I believe it forces me to think what I am doing. Thinking leads to independence of action. Independence, so I am told, is why bods ride motorcycles. It’s not always completely true but hey, that’s life.

From my brief play on the raod with the zumo XT you method 2 does not work and that is my gripe
If you want to test this out
Plot a route in basecamp starting say 50 miles from you home ending 50 miles in the other direction
This means you don't have to go anywhere to test the theory
you are directly on the route then try stopping the route and restarting it and i will not work unless you frig about with it

I know all of the tricks you are saying but maybe as you said Garmin assume that everybody who buys a XT will just pick a point on the unit and say take me there
If this is so it's a stupid mistake !!

Like i said the Montana used to do this but Garmin sorted it through firmware...I hope they do the same for the XT

If you have play with a 276cx Wapping then you will understand just how much is lacking on the XT

are you saying that you cant load the route from say a point 1 mile away from it and then use the screen as a map to get you back to the route and then just follow the route when reaching it, as wapping described in his numer 2 if thats the case then thats just plain wrong of garmin to disable that feature.

Hi Garry H,

I don’t have an XT nor a 276cx, so cannot check anything, I’m afraid. What is the ‘frigging about’ you have to do? Is it the:

I have found if you jump into the route at the nearest waypoint behind you in the route that seems to work

Or is there something else you do instead? If so, what?

As Lee says, it seems odd that Garmin have stopped an owner enacting the equivalent of “Please drive to highlighted route” and joining a pre-made bespoke route there. Riding backwards to some waypoint that is behind you, just to then go forward again, is just silly, I think we’d all agree. What happens if there is no waypoint behind you, other than start? Do you have to go back to the point you started your route from?

I don’t doubt that what you have experienced is so. However, I can’t but help but think that there some simple explanation as to why it is. Though what that is escapes me at the moment.

One question: How physically far away from the pre-made route do you have to be to encounter this problem? 10 yards, 100 yards, half a mile? Further still?

When you restart the route it gives you the option to start from thre begining or join at the nearest point
It will then take you to the start of the route if you pick the start wich is fair enough but then it fails to notice you are already 30% along the route and run the route from there

Surely if you have done as you have said in above quote, you have asked it to take you to the begining of the route then thats what it will do, and do it using the navs settings, this will then of course ignore said route whether you cross it follow it or go no where near it it will take you to the start using its own settings. or am i miss reading it.

So if your 30% in and re start the route cant you simply skip until the device starts routing you to waypoints/shapingpoints ahead of you?

No you can't and thats the issue
It will keep trying to route you back to the start :blast
I was out the other day on a 200 mile route i had put into it from basecamp
All was going well and it was following the route fine
I was about 70 miles from the end of the route and cancelled the route
I then started the route again and told it to take me to the start of the route and run the route again
You would expect it to the figure out i was 130 mile in and tell me it was 70 to the end
But it just wanted to take me to the start so as i drove along the route exactly towards the end the milage was increasing because it was taking back to the start
Join at the nearest point simply does not work it will pich a totally differnt route to what you have planned...Normall straight to the end of the route calculating it to the settings on the unit

Wapping without being funny "I don’t have an XT nor a 276cx" I can't see how you can really comment properly on somthing you have no experience with :comfort

I am trying to help you, simply because what you are experiencing is so strange.

Can you please:

1. Tell us something about the 200 mile route you created. Was it:

(i) A (start) to B (end) with just shaping points in between, or

(ii) A to B with waypoints in between

2. When you first set off, the route ran fine all the time? Yes, you told us. When you started, what choices of destination did it give you? Was it start and end only or was there any more? Which one did you chose?

3. When you stopped, you turned off the device? Yes, you told us. When you restarted the device, what choices did it give you this time? Which one did you choose?

4. When you restarted, how far away from your route were you? A few yards? A few hundred yards? A mile?

5. Why do you think the device insisted on taking you back to the start point?

6. Why do you think the device would not let you continue on the route?

7. Why do you think the device would not let you do the equivalent of “Please navigate to the highlighted route”?

My apologies if you see the questions as inquisitive but you were there, we were not. Your XT device behaved so unlike any other modern Garmin, it is tricky to help you if we can’t picture the details.

Look forward to hearing more.’

Thank you.
;

Route was planned with half a dozen way points and 4 shaping points
Unit was not turned off just route stopped then restarted
I was on the route when restarted
You have the choice when you open the route again to navigate to start that chioce is useless to continue where you left off because as it says it tries to take you to the start no matter where you are
The other choice is nearest entry point and that just does not work like you would expect it to do ...it will work if you are on a route waypoint but if you are not it just fails to work as expected..It will alter the route completly most of the time
You only get the please drive to highlighted route option onece you restart the route and by then it has reculculated it nothing like what you had planned
To be honest you need to use the XT to understand what is going on

I am convinced this will be sorted with a firmware update because at the moment it is not easy to stop a planned route at any point and then restart it...The XT has a mind of it's own

Thank you, Garry H

I read that as your device just stopped running, for no apparent reason, mid-route.

As it stopped mid-route, we can assume that you were on (or very close to) the route when you summoned up the route again to restart it.

When you restarted the route you were given the usual choices of where you would like to navigate to. We can assume that you chose one behind you, as that is why your distance to destination kept increasing as you rode the magenta line towards your final destination. You have recalculate turned off, so the device did not try to turn you around. One question, please. After your restart, whilst you were riding along the magenta line, I guess you did not receive any prompts, like “Turn left in 300 yards”?

You didn’t chose a point in front of you, as you found the device was re-drawing your pre-planned route so fundamentally. That can happen with the new devices, most often (but not always) if you are some distance off your pre-planned route when you chose your destination. The device will plot you a route to the point you have chosen, routing you according to your preference settings and the roads available for it to chose from.

With the new devices, when you restart a route, I have noticed that it can sometimes take the device a while to notice that you are on the route. I would like to believe that I am reasonably good at using Garmin devices. I too use my devices with recalculate turned off. On restarting a route I have noticed that it sometimes takes my device a mile or so to recognise that I am on my pre-planned route, following the magenta line in the correct direction. I notice it only because the directional prompts do not happen, all I get is a very basic generic ‘Ride to xyz street’. Then suddenly it will spring into life, all on its own, the directional prompts reappearing and the device functioning normally, with me having done nothing to kick it back into full working mode. I don’t worry about it too much, simply because I am used to seeing it sometimes happen and do not have the slightest idea as to why it sometimes happens but sometimes not.

I have never owned any Garmin device that stopped me doing the equivalent of “Please ride to the highlighted route” and joining a pre-planned route there. Though I do sometimes see the issue detailed in the paragraph above when I do do it.

I don’t think I have ever had a Garmin device that ‘Just stopped mid-route’ or ‘It just stopped the route at a waypoint’.

After your restart, when you were riding your route along the magenta line and the distance to next destination (which was behind you) was logically increasing, did you try hitting ‘Skip to next waypoint’? If so what happened? It is possible the the route might have withdrawn your pre-planned route according to your preference settings. But that happening would have depended on your preference settings, what options of roads and maybe any shaping points that were available for the device to take, in order to get you to the next waypoint.

You strike me as someone who knows how to create a route and use a Garmin device. I do not doubt your experience but am at a loss to even guess why it happened. It is just bizarre. Indeed, if we discount user or route creation errors of some sort, it is so bizarre and counter to the way that new Garmin devices have worked very well for years, I’d say that there is a fault with your device. Your XT is brand new, have you contacted the seller and requested a replacement device?

Outside of this forum, the gpscity site https://www.gpscity.com/ is, I think, one of the best resources for help. Have you tried contacting them?

Sorry, I can’t be of any more help at the moment. But if something comes to mind, I’ll let you know. Lee, do you have any ideas?

Richard

I found all these problems started after my Zumo 550, the Nav 4 and 5 have done this. Even worse is if you try and add in a petrol station or cafe/restaurant.

The best way round this if you have a tft dash is to use the built in sat nav to go to where ever you want to go to off route and leave your original route running as well.

I wouldn’t stop a route part way through.

Garmin should realise motorcyclists like to plot their own routes unlike car drivers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Garry H, please don’t be offended but I think there might be some user error in your problem. Or, more diplomatically, some misunderstanding as to how the latest generation of Garmin devices function. If I am wrong, so be it. Here’s why:

In the XT’s owner’s handbook, there’s a section called; ‘Navigating to a saved trip’. Garmin calls routes, trips in the new devices, so I think we are in the right bit of the book.

Navigating to a Saved Trip

1. Select Apps > Trip Planner > Saved Trips

2. Select a saved trip

3. Select Go!

4. Select the first location to navigate to, and select Start.

The device calculates a route from your current location to the selected location, and then it guides you to the remaining trip destinations in order.

These instructions are the same or pretty similar for my Nav V and VI, so they do not seem peculiar to just the new XT. Agreed so far? OK, let’s try to see what I think happened to you.

I assume that when you started the route for the first time, you were at its start point, A. I guess that you then selected some point that you wanted to go to from the menu of choices of destinations. This would either have been the end point or one of the six waypoints you put into your bespoke route. Correct? If so, whichever one you chose, the route behaved quite normally, just as you’d expect. OK so far? Let’s continue....

At some point, some way into your ride, the device turned itself off or the route stopped running. Why this happened is not known but it maybe doesn’t matter too much. You then restarted the route, just as anyone would do in the same position. On restart, you would have been presented with the same menu as to where on the route you would like to go to: Start, end or one of the six intermediate waypoints. Agreed?

I guess you chose one of the waypoints in front of you or the end point? It’s what any logical person would do, as you want to go forwards, not backwards. That, on the latest devices CAN cause a problem depending on a number of variables. We saw lots of posts on the very same topic when the previous new models came out. Put simply, they work differently to the old models. When you chose your destination, the device said to itself, “Right, you have asked me to take you there, I will, according to your routing preferences”. Inevitably this might change your pre-planned route. This change might be dramatic, particularly if the destination you chose was some way distant and there was a number of roads the device could chose from. To be frank, it’s one of the faults in the new Garmin’s whereby they pander to the lowest common denominator of user. But there again, that is not quite true either. The device is quite clever and it does exactly what you asked it to do. The feature also has its uses. Let’s say you were running late and wanted to get to a waypoint some way away and then wanted to carry on your pre-planned route from there; in short, cut out some beautiful wander around the countryside you had planned to do and get off down a motorway instead to make up time. You could say to the device, take me to the point I select by the quickest way possible and then run the route from there. It would do exactly that. Quite clever. Agreed?

Understandably, you were frustrated and maybe confused that your device was changing your route? I was the first time you encountered it. So you did the next best logical thing, you selected a point behind you. Which one doesn’t matter. The device then calculated you a route to take you back to that point, whereupon it picked up the ‘correct’ route again, which displayed perfectly. You then overrode in your mind the instruction to ride backwards down the magenta line. Instead, you rode forwards towards your destination. In other words, you rode the ‘correct’ magenta line much as if it were a highlighted route on a paper map. Had you had recalculate turned on, the route would have kept recalculating taking you back to the first destination you had asked your XT to take you to, along with continuous instructions to turn back or make a U-turn. This was why I asked if you were receiving any directional prompts? I will have a bet that you didn’t. You then arrived home, frustrated probably but at least you were home.

Have I got this about right?

If so, there are some workarounds you can use. But let’s hear from you first, please.

Thanks,

Richard

PS I have been pretty harsh on the latest Garmin devices. They really are pretty powerful and even more so when used properly in conjunction with BaseCamp. Stay with it, I am sure the XT is a very good device really.

Garry H, please don’t be offended
Don't worry i am not :beerjug:

But just to reiterate i do know what i am doing you don't need to keep trying to tell me how to use the XT
The device did not turn itself off nor did the route stop on it's own
I stopped it to see what it did when you tried to restart a route part way through as you would if you decided to go on a detour
From past experience with some other Garmin devices i know this can be a issue and it is with the XT

And i stand by what i say Wapping.....You can't possible comment on a unit you do not have any experience with
Some of the comments you have made you have totally misunderstood what i am saying
Please don't keep telling me how to use it I KNOW

On another point something else that XT does not do is when you put it into simulator mode allow you move to a location
So as far as i can see you can't alter where you are to a differnt location say 50 miles away...Unless someone else knows how to do this i :nenau

This is the option i am talking about on the 276cx

Attachments

• IMG_20200328_135724_1.jpg
    IMG_20200328_135724_1.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 127
Good luck resolving the problem. No doubt another XT owner will be along to help you.... or complain.

Richard

Well i thought as much
The latest firmware update has possibly sorted the problem :thumb

Track to route now works fine and from doing some simulations as far as i can tell jumping in half way through a route works
But i will need to test it on the road to check for sure....Not easy at the moment :bow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom