Quiet flip-up? Is there such a thing?

Gordon T

Reaction score
Im looking to buy a new flip-up having had my C2 for about what seems like eternity. Its had some use and is now tired. It was my first flip-up and boy what a shock I got with the wind noise, even from new and with ear plugs.

Im not up to speed with the latest and greatest gear and reading various posts about noisey helmets, can anyone reccomened a quiet flip-up please? Or do they not excst. G.

C3 pro with the nose vent open I find noisy, but shut there is not enough airflow. The E1 chin vent is great for airflow with the nose vent closed and I think quieter than the C3. However the E1 has a peak and will increase the noise, so just take it off if it’s not to your liking. Hope that helps on the Schubert’s front from my experience.

I have a HJC RPHA 90, doesn’t seem to be any noisier than my previous full face helmet(RPHA 10).

Al.

Im looking to buy a new flip-up having had my C2 for about what seems like eternity. Its had some use and is now tired. It was my first flip-up and boy what a shock I got with the wind noise, even from new and with ear plugs.

Im not up to speed with the latest and greatest gear and reading various posts about noisey helmets, can anyone reccomened a quiet flip-up please? Or do they not excst. G.

have a watch of this, a whole bunch of information thats usefull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=827sTrKSEWA

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/827sTrKSEWA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I’m still in the honeymoon phase with my TT Adv Mod flip front lid and I have to say I haven’t noticed it being any noisier than my old GT Air? Though I didn’t seek it out as a quiet lid so can’t say I paid much attention and haven’t done a controlled back to back comparison. I can say it’s comfy though also snug fitting and if you prefer more space around the lower jaw it might feel claustrophobic. Any noise from the peak is easy to fix as it removes in a second or two. Overall I’m very happy especially since I got it in a sale.

I've had a Shark Evoline 3 'HAKKA' a few years and can't fault it.

Comfortable (for my head) and not overly heavy, As for noise? By design 'Flip-Front' lids are noisier than full face, but the Evo bearable (with 'Ultimate Ear' plugs)

Its also one of the few lids you can ride with it open....

By design 'Flip-Front' lids are noisier than full face......

Apparently not. Because the front flips up, access is easier. This allows the neck roll to close much closer around the riders neck once closed, minimizing the amount of wind noise entering from the base of the helmet.

If you don't believe me, compare a Neotec and GT-Air next time you're in a helmet shop.

Neotec 2 quite quiet, but depends on the bike of course. Plus I wear moulded ear plugs as well, so don't find it too noisy, but to be fair I haven't worn an not flip helmet for 10 years

I've just bought myself a Schuberth C4 Pro Carbon, hoping for a quieter experience than my BMW System 7. Whilst I only have subjective impressions to go on, I would say that it is not quieter than the BMW. However, the noise I experience appears to be predominantly road and bike noise not wind noise - if I stick my head out from behind or just lower my RT screen I can hear when the wind noise appears. When moving from a noisy road surface to a quiet one the reduction in perceived noise is quite marked - on a quiet road I hear mostly the bike rumbling beneath me.

I started riding in the early 70's and had one of the first full-face helmets, which were crude things compared to today's offerings and I only had naked bikes - but I don't remember noise being a problem at all ;)

My Arai Tour X4 is much quieter (on my GS) than my daily wear Shuberth C3 PRO. This might be because my Arai is newer and more plush where as my C3 PRO is now over 5 years old and the lining might not fit as snugly as when new. That said after 5 years every day use the Shuberth still looks (and everything works) as good as it did on day 1.

Back
Top Bottom