How to send a MyRoute route from your PC to a Garmin XT via Bluetooth

Wapping

Reaction score
This video explains how.

Please note that the video maker shows how it's done when he starts the process on a PC, not on a iPad. I have no idea whether you can pull the same stunt off using an iPad or some other medium. Similarly, I have no idea if the same can be done using gpx routes from say Kurviger or something similar. Anyway, it matters not. Give it a go using whatever you like, you can't break it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J8bXd3XQ2z4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hey Wapping, I've just recently bought an XT (loving it) and yeah it doesn't matter really where the GPX file originates from or where you start the process. As long as you share the GPX file to the Garmin Drive app it'll sync.

Obviously how representative the route is once the XT has calculated is another thing but you're far more knowledge on shaping point/via points etc than me.

So far I'e done a combination of creating a route on the MRA App/Website on my iPad, saving out the GPX file as the guy does in the video and then importing it into Garmin Drive, and starting off with making the route on my PC, then just loading it up on the app and just sharing it to Garmin Drive.

The one thing I have noticed though is that alot of people seem to be recommending that you export as a GPX 1.0 so that it "keeps all of the waypoints" but I've noticed that this just keeps the shaping points (blue dots so I think thats what they are) once on the XT but if it exceeds something like 29 points it wants to split it. People seem to be suggesting it's the only way to keep those points as if you export from MRA as the recommended GPX 1.2, once imported into the XT you have the track, and the "trip" which only has the start and end points so presumably if you stray off course it'll just route you the quickest way to the destination. (RideCamTV) were saying this on a video I saw lately.

What I discovered by accident is that in MRA once you have your list of shaping points down the left, you can actually click them and change them to Via points (little hand icon). So if you then export from the MRA app on either your phone or iPad as GPX 1.2, once you open the imported trip on the XT those via points show with orange flag icons so thats how I've been doing it.

Long and short is though, if you have a GPX file on your device whether it's iOS or Android, doesn't matter where it originated from, you can share it with the Garmin Drive app without any issues and it'll sync to the XT. I have indeed done this with a few GPX files off Kurviger as I'm off to Austria soon. I just downloaded the GPX file into the Files app on my iPad then shared it from there to Garmin Drive app.

Back
Top Bottom