This will upset a few tossers on here ?

As a few have said, VVT is not new technology but one of the big 'things' about Shiftcam is the fact the transition between cams is seamless, undetectable and is load and RPM governed. I have a VTEC VFR and the 2nd pair of valves start operating via a hydraulic actuator at 6800 RPM and drop back out at 6200. I have a PC3 with custom map and the transition is better than before but could hardly be called seamless.

To get back to the original post for a moment:

He has an interesting take on this, and I do like his presentation style and wit, though I'm not sure all the criticism of the ShiftCam system is justified.

Of course, it is true that with ShiftCam the cam timing and lift settings are not continuously variable, and are therefore only absolutely optimal at two points, one for each cam, but then Shiftcam can change both valve lift and timing, where most other systems can only alter one, which somewhat offsets the advantage of continuously variable systems if they can only adjust one parameter.

Also, the reviewer has ignored the total flexibility in when the shift is activated as it is ECU controlled and not a fixed mechanical system. The fact that engine load is also a determinant for shifting the cams means the changeover point is not fixed by revs alone but also by engine load, as in how much power the rider is demanding, which I guess is measured by how far and how quickly the throttle is being opened.

The end result of this flexibility in cam shifting is that the range of possible rev/load combinations can be split across two different cams, with the engine running the most suitable cam at any point. This also means that with each of the two cams having a much smaller range of engine speeds/loads to handle, each cam is not going be so far from optimum at any point in its more limited range than a system with a single cam with its single compromise setting. I believe this also goes some way to offset the fact that ShiftCam is not a continuously variable system.

Fred

Though to be fair,I’d rather buy a new Vstrom than a Shitcam,save myself £5k and a whole load of bother....

54607d3069de1a83868f22c4618230ee.jpg

BMW GS1250 Shiftcam.....reassuringly expensive!

He has an interesting take on this, and I do like his presentation style and wit, though I'm not sure all the criticism of the ShiftCam system is justified.

Of course, it is true that with ShiftCam the cam timing and lift settings are not continuously variable, and are therefore only absolutely optimal at two points, one for each cam, but then Shiftcam can change both valve lift and timing, where most other systems can only alter one, which somewhat offsets the advantage of continuously variable systems if they can only adjust one parameter.

Also, the reviewer has ignored the total flexibility in when the shift is activated as it is ECU controlled and not a fixed mechanical system. The fact that engine load is also a determinant for shifting the cams means the changeover point is not fixed by revs alone but also by engine load, as in how much power the rider is demanding, which I guess is measured by how far and how quickly the throttle is being opened.

The end result of this flexibility in cam shifting is that the range of possible rev/load combinations can be split across two different cams, with the engine running the most suitable cam at any point. This also means that with each of the two cams having a much smaller range of engine speeds/loads to handle, each cam is not going be so far from optimum at any point in its more limited range than a system with a single cam with its single compromise setting. I believe this also goes some way to offset the fact that ShiftCam is not a continuously variable system.

Fred

Thanks for the info , and well explained and you point out the fact the guy is a bit of a dick..

Fred

Many BMW R&D people would know really why they make this bike, and I am sure they know what they do sometimes.

Having owned several LC GS’es the throttle response and engine feel at lower speeds (<40mph) was terrible. And that was the case on both the 14 plate original model and 18 plate update model. I would imagine the shiftcam was partly designed to improve low speed manners whilst still allowing plenty of power and punch at higher speeds.

Thanks for the info , and well explained and you point out the fact the guy is a bit of a dick..

Infairness to Ryan most of his output is of very good quality, I agree that he has missed the mark on this one. One miss does not make him a dick, let he who is without sin etc.

Talking heads have to keep talking and the top brand of anything get slagged off.

If you fancy something new and shiny and can afford it, try a couple out. Buy the one you like most.

I have a Beemer and love it.

Having owned several LC GS’es the throttle response and engine feel at lower speeds (<40mph) was terrible. And that was the case on both the 14 plate original model and 18 plate update model. I would imagine the shiftcam was partly designed to improve low speed manners whilst still allowing plenty of power and punch at higher speeds.[/QUOTE

My first GS, a '14, had awful fuelling which was fixed by our sponsor. My current bike a '17 didn't need it and is happy at 1800rpm in top fully loaded.
Of the large capacity twin cylinder engines out there the 1200 r series is probably the smoothest out there, the 1250 is even better.

The shiftcam addresses a few issues. Some of them being;
Euro 5.
Pressure from the opposition, ie power.
Something to keep the annual renewers happy.
Infilling while they bring the next big change to market.

It doesn’t really matter what the techno-guys write about this bike, all you need to do is arrange a free test ride (subject to virus) take it out for at least 100 miles, ride it hard, ride it soft, and a bit in between, and the seat of your pants will give you all the information you will ever need.
The 1250 is an awesome ‘sports’ bike cleverly wrapped in Adventure livery. it is blisteringly quick if you want to redline it through the gears, or it can trundle along happily all day at 30mph in 6th without a snatch or a grumble.

Just try one, if the shops ever reopen again.

Fred

I've only ridden a R1250R and was smitten by the way it went straight from the off. No discernible cam-shift point. It just went like a very fast thing from Go. So I went and bought a R1200R instead. While the step up in power around 5K can be felt, as it can on the GS, it still feels MUCH faster than the GS.

I'm a bit thick and don't understand?

These Youtube guys gets paid by YT for each time someone clicks into their video (showing ads).
Making a controversial video about one of the best selling bikes in the market is a safe bet in order to collect clicks. Hence the expression 'Click bait'

IMO Ryan makes some very interesting videos. Do I agree with this video, yes and no

My 1250 is the best bike I have owned, it is almost perfect for what my wife and I want. It is overly expensive, it isn’t the best quality but it is brilliant to ride which is the most important thing.

The 1050 Suzuki is a bit ugly but it’s cheap and as someone who’s just been made redundant I would consider buying one in the future if I need to save money. A friend has a 2018 model and loves it and he’s had 2 650 models in the past. He is quite a quick rider so I know the Suzuki could work.

But while I can afford it I will stick with the GS as it makes me happy

Ryan’s videos are informative and entertaining and rather watch him than some others, again IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom