800GS front sprocket change

Anthony Byrne

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Last week when putting on a new chain I also did the sprockets too. I have a question, one side of the sprocket has a small lip (flange) and the other side flat, can you tell me does the lip go on first?

Maybe it doesn't matter?

Just checked with Mr Haynes ... picture shows the flange on the outside. Wording says 'make sure that the marked surface is on the outside'.

Joe

Thanks Joe, what if I said the text was on the other side of the flange:blast

I couldn’t find that myself in the manual and have gotten different opinions along the way.

I just did it my 800 and 650 - flange to the outside. Recommend you correct the error you don,t want to be worrying about the chain coming off. Crack the front sprocket 17mm nut slacken the back wheel and adjusters right off, un-hook the chain, turn it round done.

Just as an FYI the original front sprocket looks to have a flange on each side however one is twice the size of the other. Again in the original the text is on the outside which would be the smaller flange (outside).

When I’ve replaced and gone with the flange on the outside the chain is about 5mm off the rail guide, when I flipped and put the flange on the inside she ran fine, also flange inside would show the text on the outside inline with mr Haynes.

It’s an argumentative topic that’s for sure

Hey folks thanks for the replies and to Ash who was also happy for me to annoy him in Facebook:rob:thumb2

I also contacted JT sprockets direct to get their thoughts and the reply is below, maybe of use to some in the future

”As a general rule we mark our sprockets with the part number and logo on the outside face so that the information can still be seen when fitted to the bike. We list our JTF704 front sprocket to fit the 2016 BMW F800GS however, JTF704 is a multiple application item also used on some Aprilia models and can be fitted either way round depending on model.”

I’ve gone text outside inline with the Haynes manual and the above mail.

Appreciate the replies :):):)

I fitted JTF402.17 which had a large flange on the outside and writing on the outside. Wonder if they have writing on both sides? The OEM was flush on the inside large flange on the outside.

Just removed an original front on a 800gsa and replaced it with a jt sprocket, the deep flange goes to the engine side (inside) and the small flange is on the outside (as per the official service cd).

Chain alignment is wrong if reversed

I fitted JTF402.17 which had a large flange on the outside and writing on the outside. Wonder if they have writing on both sides? The OEM was flush on the inside large flange on the outside.

Just removed an original front on a 800gsa and replaced it with a jt sprocket, the deep flange goes to the engine side (inside) and the small flange is on the outside (as per the official service cd).

Chain alignment is wrong if reversed

Are these not contradicting ?

Yes confusing I have 2 bikes F800GSA check how I fitted it writing outside metal flange outside rubber inside. G650GS flange & writing both outside.

Back
Top Bottom