How do I send a route from MyRoute on an iPad to the XT?

Option Nº5

View Ranger App on iPad, iPhone or Android devices. Bigger screen is better IMHO.

This is very similar how Google Maps used to be but you just simply do not get an option to enter the address. Your options are, to plot the route (what I did), in a similar way that you would do in Basecamp. Just pin down your waypoints...

Step 1.

Download the app

This is what you are looking for...
cf24169d1d3ad4ddc98345ff3946a264.jpg

...open it, and you are presented with this (albeit you first need to set up a simple account). Use your Finger,Mouse
or Apple Pencil to navigate. Tap on a Map icon up top to start...
2bc8e58a38cdbf140ce04b3ebf54e8a5.jpg

...you should now have a full view of the map...
054db895e73f627cc6d18a514963486a.jpg

...tap on “layers” button, to change types of map you want to see. You can purchase additional maps types that you might prefer. But you do have an option of 4 free types...
d95cdcb37a55d162887202be67f2de79.jpg

...tap on a + icon to start your plotting...
4d64a2de2d295a36e5ca3c4257512598.jpg

...you should bet presented with this menu. Tap on “Plon a Route” to start i put of your chosen waypoints...
0a835833fbf8ab3f1b37f0ec9201fab7.jpg

...then follow on screen instructions...
bb199fba03a6ac44e82b4313efc96c3a.jpg

... in my case, I have started in Welwyn (Herts) at BP Fuel Station. They have, takeaway Wild Bean cafe inside, so Coffee & Cake, plus a drink for the bike.

You can use your Finger, third party Stylus, any compatible Bluetooth Mouse or Apple Pencil to start plotting....
8946a08513ff20de6da402f826ce5548.jpg

Do not worry about obscuring the map that you are trying to plot over, the window above the map, that showing elevation, distance, time, etc, turns into a magnified field of the area under you “sausage” finger, so that you could pinpoint your exact location with precision.

Just like this...
ada6204f6e1f2620290ebd955b9ec8af.jpg

...Carry on plotting for as long as you wish to... but ignore TIMES and CIRCLED icon above, as this app is designed for outdoor activities rather than transcontinental globetrotting on an awesome steed powered by fossil fuels. I would however take into the account a Distance, as everyone has a limit, how far they are planning on riding each day...
964d31e06b5106e3b4b2e8475cba785d.jpg

...now that you have completed your plotting, you should see an overview of your route. Tap “Save”
2d9ac1db909daad065a5238b80c974ed.jpg

...To be Continued in Part 2....

Part 2.

...next window presents an option to name your route and add a brief description. Tap on “Save Route” at the bottom once done...
a4018e5f3dad87ae29a865cdc600b7a4.jpg

...your route now should be highlighted in red... Tap on “More” to open sharing menu...
225fa31d5970159ff455a9e62a62b1cb.jpg

...and select “Share as GPX”
773ed60da133de5f2c01a18d8005942d.jpg

...and select “Garmin Drive” in the next window...
e57fe9dc49c6326d6f74a375ca64ef68.jpg

... From here Garmin Drive app will fire up and you will see a request to transfer to you NAV Device...
20c299d89a227092c00754ce812008c7.jpg

Depending on the size of the file, it’s may take a matter of second or just a few minutes. In my case it took split second to complete the transfer...
7d13c7b366aba66a9991c24b011d483c.jpg

...You should see a progress of the transfer on the screen of your NAV...
bc8a736710fed048b7af1df1d49ff308.jpg

...next open “Trip Planner” on your NAV and tap on “Saved Trips”
187325e83c3896b96ef44f0c54120248.jpg

...here you should see your saved route...
e3cc6f821fd5e940011ed00fa109492f.jpg

Note: Last imported route will always end up at the bottom of the list, so if you have loads or routes saved, then scroll down to see it. Tap on it...

...here you can check the overview of the route, by tapping on “Map” or tap “Go” if you wish to do so...
f2a63be15510ef0905f533031bca46d5.jpg

410d319a0ee68036d9f674a48172d354.jpg

So to summarise further.

My personal choices from these experiments would be...

A. If I was in the rush and just wanted to get from A to B, Then it is a no brainier to choose Apple Maps, with very quick transfer and ready to go approach.

B. If I am on a jaunt across the La Manche and wish to plot my next days route using address inputs for my lunch stops, or type in the location of a hotel at the destination, perhaps even specific POI’s that I might want to explore. then Kurviger Web based software is the one.

C. This is very close with Kurvier, if you are the sort that does know the destination you want to get to, by looking at the map of the location within, say Booking.com App and able to memorise the road or location outline, then you might be happy to use View Ranger App as your route plotting software, and simply zoom in on the exact location from your memory. You can switch types of maps within the View Ranger App and be able to see names of the, shops, bars, restaurants, hotels etc. So this can be even more helpful to draw information from memory.
The whole plotting and transfer using this App is considerably quicker than Kurviger, as it seem there are fewer steps required, by eliminating the conversion from track to route process within the NAV device.

I will use both Kurviger and View Ranger on my next trip, just to see which one works best for me in the real world.

I hope this is even more helpful to some of you, who can’t get to grips with Basecamp. Plus you really only need an iPad, or at the worst an iPhone or Android smartphones to achieve same result, especially if you are travelling lightly. However there might be a bit more faff involved due to the limits of the screen size.

Good work, Ev.
I’ve had a good look at the ViewRanger method.
It’s pretty good BUT the biggest drawback is not being able to enter an address, and it’s a bit of a faff trying to find everything located on the map.
I think the Kurviger method is easier and quicker for most occasions.

If you just want to enter an address or postcode then you can do It direct on the device, or directly into the Garmin Drive app

If you just want to enter an address or postcode then you can do It direct on the device, or directly into the Garmin Drive app

Yes ta.
I think it’s a given that you can enter a destination on the device but the whole point of Ev’s quest was to be able to plan a route , ideally with waypoints on an iPad then send to the XT.

You can enter the desired address on the GD app, but I think Apple Maps beats it.
You can also plan a trip on the XT it self, or any Garmin Nav device for that matter, but it is a rather awkward and not having a view of a large area with visible roads, does not help. Yes you can zoom in, but it just adds to the already cumbersome experience.

In a pinch, I’d do it, no bother. However if you sat at the hotel in the south of France, with your favourite beverage by the pool, with free WiFi and a 12” screen to do the planning and plotting on, then it’s a no brainer.

Yes ta.
I think it’s a given that you can enter a destination on the device but the whole point of Ev’s quest was to be able to plan a route , ideally with waypoints on an iPad then send to the XT.

Correct!

Good work, Ev.
I’ve had a good look at the ViewRanger method.
It’s pretty good BUT the biggest drawback is not being able to enter an address, and it’s a bit of a faff trying to find everything located on the map.
I think the Kurviger method is easier and quicker for most occasions.

That’s right, it certainly handy, but hence why I choose Kurviger over View Ranger despite being so bloody close to being perfect.

It be a great app for a day trip plotting, because you don’t really need the use off an address. Your “current” starting location is also your “destination”.
Just choose the roads you want to ride, plop, plop, plop, send, press GO!

As Berin found, very little beats BaseCamp, linked to a Garmin device..... but you’ll need a small laptop with you. I can’t use an XT on my 1600 but this has been a good thread for those that can and only want to use a phone or smart pad.

As Berin found, very little beats BaseCamp, linked to a Garmin device..... but you’ll need a small laptop with you. I can’t use an XT on my 1600 but this has been a good thread for those that can and only want to use a phone or smart pad.

Hopefully BMW might slap a Nav VIII badge on it, add a slight mod to enable use with the Spinny Gay Wheel and double the price....

Option Nº2

Sadly, Google being T**ts, they no longer support route sharing to other devices, other than one within it’s own app. I.e. iPad/Mac to iPhone using data they have about you or Airdrop method.

Shame really, as on Google Maps App, you can add your own waypoints and up to I believe 15 of them, certainly enough for a descent day trip.

I will have ganders with some other apps...

I think this method will prove to be useful for many users, but remember, you must have downloaded Garmin Drive App and have your Nav and iDevice synced over Bluetooth, for this to work.
There are other benefits of GD, you get weather, live traffic reports, etc, and it doesn’t cost anything to have it downloaded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think that's an Apple/Google issue. If you do the same (i.e. look up an address) on Google Maps on Android, you can share with the address or the route with Garmin Drive.

This is true. I was looking at getting new 12" iPad but in reality it weighs no less than Mrs Berin's ancient MacBook Air. I've loaded all the maps onto a memory stick as it doesn't have much storage and it serves well as route planner on-trip.

I think that's an Apple/Google issue. If you do the same (i.e. look up an address) on Google Maps on Android, you can share with the address or the route with Garmin Drive.

Good to know, but I can’t quote you on it, as I never owned an Android device and unlikely to do so.

Good to know, but I can’t quote you on it, as I never owned an Android device and unlikely to do so.

No, but others might. As far as I can see google maps is a non-starter for IOS really, when on the road. I think you would need to do the following:

Create the route in google maps
Cut and paste the URL into https://mapstogpx.com
Download the resulting GPX file
Import the GPX file into Garmin Explorer, on your phone or the website
Share the GPX with Drive, on your phone

The Explore website is the usual Garmin mess. It uses OSM maps, and you can click and draw a route on it and save that as a GPX, which you can then send to Drive and hence the XT. But I can't think of a reason why you would.

Hopefully BMW might slap a Nav VIII badge on it, add a slight mod to enable use with the Spinny Gay Wheel and double the price....

BMW have, apparently, dropped their long and pretty successful association with Garmin, meaning that the Nav VI is the last in the long line.

Had I not had my 1600, I may well by now have had an XT. It’s pointless me buying one, not because of the whirly wheel (which works well) but because the XT’s shape does not allow it to fit into the 1600’s cubbyhole on the dashboard, something else I quite like. I have no desire to bolt a cradle for an XT onto my 1600, like some demented GS owner, the thing weighs enough already.

BMW have, apparently, dropped their long and pretty successful association with Garmin, meaning that the Nav VI is the last in the long line.

Had I not had my 1600, I may well by now have had an XT. It’s pointless me buying one, not because of the whirly wheel (which works well) but because the XT’s shape does not allow it to fit into the 1600’s cubbyhole on the dashboard, something else I quite like. I have no desire to bolt a cradle for an XT onto my 1600, like some demented GS owner, the thing weighs enough already.

Makes sense.
I’m guessing BMW and Garmin have got divorced due to the onset of TFTs that can take Apple Car Play and the like and able to project nav from a phone app.

No, but others might. As far as I can see google maps is a non-starter for IOS really, when on the road. I think you would need to do the following:

Create the route in google maps
Cut and paste the URL into https://mapstogpx.com
Download the resulting GPX file
Import the GPX file into Garmin Explorer, on your phone or the website
Share the GPX with Drive, on your phone

The Explore website is the usual Garmin mess. It uses OSM maps, and you can click and draw a route on it and save that as a GPX, which you can then send to Drive and hence the XT. But I can't think of a reason why you would.

I’ve not tried the method using mapstogpx.com, but I am certainly sure that Google maps no longer permit of these techniques. Hence sites such as Motogoloco.com no longer able to provide us with routes.

I’ve not tried the method using mapstogpx.com, but I am certainly sure that Google maps no longer permit of these techniques. Hence sites such as Motogoloco.com no longer able to provide us with routes.

It certainly works with mapstogpx - there's a great thread on Advrider called "off the beaten track in Europe" with google maps routes of lots of interesting places. In a browser, just paste the maps link in to mapstogpx and it converts the kml to gpx, which you then import to Basecamp, or Explore or whatever you like - and, as discussed in an Android device you can open a Google maps waypoint or route direct into a variety of apps including Drive, Explore, OsmAnd, Locus etc.

Back
Top Bottom