How do I send a route from MyRoute on an iPad to the XT?

(RIP) Spangle

Reaction score
How to transfer routes from MyRoute (app) on Apple device to ZümoXT

1. iPad - Enable Bluetooth

2. XT - select the device to pair with.
70988c964f578800c92163bdfb1e680b.jpg

3. iPad - Open MyRoute app on device and either create a route or select
fc02acfcbc17df1e57253205f1de032f.jpg

4. Select your route, open it & hit PAGE MENU top right corner
6edeae8588869c22934775b9d8d673ea.jpg

5. Hit & select .gpx 1.1 (route track, POI)
91929ea809c6dd8f10372621569a38f9.jpg

6. Below the route name at the top, scroll the app icons from right to left (swipe left!)
f8a4e81a78e6d9d1811ac0e2cd3a61ba.jpg

7. Select •••MORE
16ffea37f20ee8bf8926af5e4c77d894.jpg

8. Select COPY TO DRIVE (Garmin blue icon)
a1e3dc194dfbc4bd339326e528bc5788.jpg

9. Hit SEND
d411700d4ec30c0b9a58a9b6c40bf190.jpg

10. XT - once the transfer is complete, you’ll see this
ce745f9fa961ae3b907ebfb62c012684.jpg

11. You’ll then see the route in both TRIP PLANNER & TRACKS
bb6529c1514c26f131a878472e694d94.jpg

12. Annoyingly, when you go into TRIP PLANNER select the route and MAP or GO the route is a series of straight lines between waypoints
90685d732cfe30b42fe61acbbc2dd3ad.jpg

4b9af1b30c18de85ebe5c60c0ce5bf96.jpg

18db0f8694b955320c056b350d5a7e9c.jpg

f485e0189c52c6f846ba3b32fc37ac4d.jpg

13. To overcome this problem, select the route in TRIP PLANNER and DELETE
1477f0bc1083c93c0bc796f61daae410.jpg

14. Use the return button to go back to the menu & select TRACKS and select your track
4bfc3cd5f52c6308b0e19e31eacb6551.jpg

15. You’ll see the route (track) as it was intended. Hit SPANNER/SETTINGS, hit a few OK buttons until you see the track converted back to the original route you created in MyRoute app. If you then return to main menu & you’ll see the route there ready to go.
77a0d84940aac7b34fe6c4c41ef80ea9.jpg

fe4ffc7667cfc70bbc80fd87114a4f41.jpg

4600b3a5ed651e0b77952832f0616472.jpg

95a7573f52fd5412607fc32cbe949c6a.jpg

adc33ef11b9e52b2b168d654f4912f5a.jpg

e6df456700f4de9db6a56767615391bc.jpg

03bd324efded43c45fac4383e541130c.jpg

fe523918a079ce9d23891390bdbd515d.jpg

The messing about removing the straight lines is frustrating but it may be either a problem with me or my XT, I’m hoping either Garmin or one of you can come up with a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for this, Spangle. Excellent. Your patience and help from others in the original thread, has won out.

For those that want to avoid BaseCamp or Mapsource and want, as Spangle did, not to take their laptop with them on jaunts, the answer is here. It should work just as well using any third party gpx route creating software, that is Bluetooth enabled. For example, the popular Kurviger app. The exact methodology may differ in detail but it should be pretty similar. Similarly, it should work from a smart phone, too. Try it, you can’t break it. If you get it to work using other software and hardware, tell us about it here. Spangle has shown you how.

Richard

The messing about removing the straight lines is frustrating but it may be either a problem with me or my XT, I’m hoping either Garmin or one of you can come up with a solution

Transfering almost any outside of garmin made route would undoubtably give the straight lines between points (not been created using garmin software), but fear not if you put enough points (shaping points and way points) in to hold the route onto the roads you wish to travel when the route is sent to the nav and providing your nav has a recalculate route option (most garmin units have) if you hit recalculate the route it will get rid of your straight lines, and providing enough shaping points/waypoints have been used it should shape the route according to the original.

Please note you will need to use many points to stop your nav settings taking hold of the route and moving it in line with the navs settings.
Or you just use the method described above and use the track to create a route.

Before anyone comments about the navs settings altering the route you have created when recalculation takes place, if you have put enough points in to hold the route it should not make any difference but if you have not it will more than likely alter, try it as wapping has said you cant break it.

Splendid :clap

So much better than Wapping would have explained it! :p :D

We are still waiting for your version of it....

I suspect the virus will be but a distant memory when we get to see it.

:dabone

I had a look, but got a headache, so thought I’d better stop. :D

Has anyone else, besides Spangle, been brave enough to experiment? I thought it was one of the key attractions with the device? You are all at home (or should be) so have no excuse not to get cracking.

Post up your experiences, good, bad and, in the case of Nutty, just quite amazing how someone can get into that state with so little effort.

Has anyone else, besides Spangle, been brave enough to experiment? I thought it was one of the key attractions with the device? You are all at home (or should be) so have no excuse not to get cracking.

Post up your experiences, good, bad and, in the case of Nutty, just quite amazing how someone can get into that state with so little effort.

I’ll have another try once I’ve had my tablets.

Doesn't (yet?) work with Kurviger Pro

I use an Android phone with the Kurviger Pro app, so I tried sharing a route from Kurviger to Garmin Drive. Garmin Drive appears in the list of apps that can be shared to, but an error appears 'we weren't able to use this address'. So that's a bit of a bugger and so far I haven't found a way round it.

The Gamin Explore web site syncs with the XT and is able to transfer tracks, but it doesn't handle routes imported from Basecamp at all well. The best that can be done is to transfer a track to the XT and to use this as the basis for a 'trip' (aka a route - yet another change in terminology from Garmin :confused:). The trouble with this is that changes cannot be made to the trip on the XT otherwise the whole thing evaporates as it has only a start and end point. In other words, auto recalc must be turned off.

The good news - at least for me- is that routes exported from Basecamp can be copied onto the SD card in the XT and imported into the Trip Planner in the usual way. I'd like to find a way for Garmin Drive to send exported routes stored in Google Drive for example, over to the XT but it doesn't seem to offer this. The data has to be somehow written/sent to Garmin Drive.

I'd really like to be able to send routes created in Kurviger on my phone to the XT - Kurviger's round trip planner is really good, much better than the Garmin round trip planner in the XT. Kurviger allows you to set a general direction for the trip and is good at avoiding towns. Garmin's trip planner has a 4-level sliding scale of twistiness but it isn't good at avoiding towns and there's no way to set a general direction. I'll make a request to the Kurviger developers that their app should write to Garmin Drive. If My Route app can do it then I guess they will be able to also.

The owner of Kurviger * is very helpful fixing issues via the form or emails. As you say, give him a go.

* Unlike the ‘By bikers, for bikers’ owner of the previously very popular MotoGoLoco who never replied and then vanished into the undergrowth.

How to transfer routes from MyRoute (app) on Apple device to ZümoXT

The messing about removing the straight lines is frustrating but it may be either a problem with me or my XT, I’m hoping either Garmin or one of you can come up with a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bit late coming to this thread, but was reading Spangles original post and saw the above comment. I came across this straight line when experimenting with MyRouteApp for a friend having trouble with routes in his 595.

A simple solution is to force the route to recalculate in the Zumo. It will use the existing route points to do that. The quickest way to do this can be obtained from the screen which shows the route having just been selected from the Trip App. The one that shows the route in list form with a Map and Go! button at the top, and a scrollable list of all of the routing points.

On the XT, to the left hand side are two other buttons - one is a motorcycle icon, the other is the spanner. Either of these buttons can be used to force the route to recalculate.

Click the motorcycle and change the Route Usage mode - eg to Car. This forces the route to recalculate. Then do the same and change it back to a Motorcycle.
OR - click the spanner and change the route preferences to something else from what it is now eg from 'Faster time' to 'Shorter Distance'. This also forces a recalculation. Then change it back to what it was.

This usually gets the straight line route back to the normal route that follows roads.

The recalculation is nothing more than will happen if you press the Skip button when navigating, or if you deviate slightly from the magenta line. It is a very useful way of getting rid of the Basecamp shaping and replacing it with what the Zumo will calculate if it has to. Better to spot the changes it will make while still at home than having to sort it out when on a ride. And with enough carefully chosen route points, the Zumo will produce the correct route anyway.

----

Another comment. I noted somewhere a reference to MyRouteApp. That program is pretty good at producing a route that the later Zumos will understand. Export as V1.1 and you get a route containing all shaping points. Export as V 1.0 and you get a route of all Via Points. It's up to you to decide which is best for your needs. However, there is a 'feature' on some of the Zumos - the 595 and the XT (but not the 590) are two that I know about:-

When the route is in the Zumo, you can change a routing point to shaping point and vice versa. However, if you change a Via Point to a Shaping point on the Zumo 595 and Zumo XT, the position of the shaping point will move. And it will change its name. I don't mean an insignificant move - I mean that I have observed that it moves to a location which directed me away from the position of the original Via Point. Changing a Shaping Point to a Via Point doesn't have this 'feature'.

I've reported the issue to Garmin. Their last reply was to ask for more information and for me to describe what I expected it to do.

I’ve just been looking at this thread as was hoping there was a simple way to create a route on iPhone or iPad to sync with XT.
I’ve not used my XT yet but it’s wired up to my Harley and planning to take to France in a few weeks .
I still have my Tom Tom Rider 550 and have been using it all last week on ATAS in Brittany .
You simply plan a route on the MyDrive app and it syncs directly to your device assuming you have WiFi or just use phone as hotspot .
Can simply sit in a cafe, plan a route on phone and it’s send straight to your sat nav . So easy .
So I’m a bit disappointed to read all the above steps are required to achieve the same on the XT.
Just been trying to create a route on the MyRoute app and just that in itself isn’t intuitive .
Think the XT may be short lived.

I’ve just been looking at this thread as was hoping there was a simple way to create a route on iPhone or iPad to sync with XT.
I’ve not used my XT yet but it’s wired up to my Harley and planning to take to France in a few weeks .
I still have my Tom Tom Rider 550 and have been using it all last week on ATAS in Brittany .
You simply plan a route on the MyDrive app and it syncs directly to your device assuming you have WiFi or just use phone as hotspot .
Can simply sit in a cafe, plan a route on phone and it’s send straight to your sat nav . So easy .
So I’m a bit disappointed to read all the above steps are required to achieve the same on the XT.
Just been trying to create a route on the MyRoute app and just that in itself isn’t intuitive .
Think the XT may be short lived.

I think you are drawing the wrong concluisons from what you are reading.

This thread was specifically to do with using MyRouteApp - and whether you are using a PC at home or an Ipad/Pod/Phone on the move, there can be problems with using third party maps on a device that is intended to run with the 'free' Lifetime maps produced by or for Garmin.

If you introduce different maps (ie the planning map is different from the map on the Zumo), you can expect to have some issues, in which case it is handy to know how to deal with them. If you introduce different software that doesn't define routing points in the same way that Garmin does, then you will have even bigger issues.

Some of the stuff you have read on here is not to do with using the Garmin XT as such. They are to do with trying to help sort out the problems that others are having when trying to use software and maps that are not directly compatible. There are ways round many of the issues, but sometimes the solution can be bigger than the problem.

I explored MyRouteApp for a friend, and I found it to be a pain for the way I wanted the Zumo to behave. I found the same with using Google Maps. Other people like to use it. They must use their routing points in a different way from the way I use mine. As long as it works for the way you use the device, that is really all that matters. It just doesn't work for me though.

The XT has a number of ways to transfer routes quickly from one place to another. One of these ways is to load Garmin Explore onto your Android / Iphone and create a route on that. That has road maps, topgraphic maps (with contorus), increasing detail as you zoom in, anding with satellite imagery. Save it, and as long as the device is linked to the Zumo, it will synchronise automatically. Quick and easy, and no map problems - and they are available on the website to re-synch again should you lose them on your satnav. It produces a route consisting of points, and allows the Zumo routing preferences to plot a course along the roads. You need to install the free Garmin Drive App to interface between the phone and the XT - and that provides communication of other data to the XT (eg traffic, weather, messages).

XT, like some other Zumos, will allow users to Bluetooth routes between themselves.

And you can use the tried and tested method of uploading by USB cable, or program the route on the map on the satnav screen itself, or by using the extensive database of waypoints to plot a route with the Zumo. The XT has plenty of battery life for doing this sort of thing - unlike the 590/595.

I have been using Garmin Explore and it's deceptively good. I even used it whilst on holiday when me and the Mrs. went walking as it showed all the footpaths.
I find the XT easy enough to route on as the waypoints can be placed onto your preferred route just by touching the screen, a feature that was on the 595
but not the 590.

I think you are drawing the wrong concluisons from what you are reading.

This thread was specifically to do with using MyRouteApp - and whether you are using a PC at home or an Ipad/Pod/Phone on the move, there can be problems with using third party maps on a device that is intended to run with the 'free' Lifetime maps produced by or for Garmin.

If you introduce different maps (ie the planning map is different from the map on the Zumo), you can expect to have some issues, in which case it is handy to know how to deal with them. If you introduce different software that doesn't define routing points in the same way that Garmin does, then you will have even bigger issues.

Some of the stuff you have read on here is not to do with using the Garmin XT as such. They are to do with trying to help sort out the problems that others are having when trying to use software and maps that are not directly compatible. There are ways round many of the issues, but sometimes the solution can be bigger than the problem.

I explored MyRouteApp for a friend, and I found it to be a pain for the way I wanted the Zumo to behave. I found the same with using Google Maps. Other people like to use it. They must use their routing points in a different way from the way I use mine. As long as it works for the way you use the device, that is really all that matters. It just doesn't work for me though.

The XT has a number of ways to transfer routes quickly from one place to another. One of these ways is to load Garmin Explore onto your Android / Iphone and create a route on that. That has road maps, topgraphic maps (with contorus), increasing detail as you zoom in, anding with satellite imagery. Save it, and as long as the device is linked to the Zumo, it will synchronise automatically. Quick and easy, and no map problems - and they are available on the website to re-synch again should you lose them on your satnav. It produces a route consisting of points, and allows the Zumo routing preferences to plot a course along the roads. You need to install the free Garmin Drive App to interface between the phone and the XT - and that provides communication of other data to the XT (eg traffic, weather, messages).

XT, like some other Zumos, will allow users to Bluetooth routes between themselves.

And you can use the tried and tested method of uploading by USB cable, or program the route on the map on the satnav screen itself, or by using the extensive database of waypoints to plot a route with the Zumo. The XT has plenty of battery life for doing this sort of thing - unlike the 590/595.

Thanks for the info . I’ll have a look at Garmin Explore

The XT has a number of ways to transfer routes quickly from one place to another. One of these ways is to load Garmin Explore onto your Android / Iphone and create a route on that. That has road maps, topgraphic maps (with contorus), increasing detail as you zoom in, anding with satellite imagery. Save it, and as long as the device is linked to the Zumo, it will synchronise automatically.

Sorry but this doesn’t work.
The XT is not compatible with the Garmin Explore app and on delving I found this explanation:

The zumo XT model comes pre-installed with Garmin Explore information. It is not compatible with the Garmin Explore smartphone app. Explore data is synced with the Garmin Drive smartphone app.

So I’m still no wiser how to simply plan a route on an iPad/iPhone and sync easily with the XT.

Back
Top Bottom