Fault in engine control

Edventure

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Washed the 1250 GSA yesterday and then the dreaded "Fault in engine control" message came up.

Also noticed that the led on my Ctek charging fly leads was flashing orange so checked battery connectors this morning and the neutral wasn't that tight so cleaned and tightened that.
Fault still present. Engine still runs fine.

Have searched and it seems quite a few have had the similar fault. My question is does this have to be cleared by the dealer? Disconnecting the battery hasn't had any effect.

Had same notice two weeks ago. BMW recovery appeared, run diagnostics and voila! Exhaust valve stuck. He wanted to take it in to the dealers. Asked him to wait and opened up valve cover and with the help of a screwdriver WD40 and pliers nudged it free. Problem solved in 15 minutes... for now. If it happens again we are looking at new header under warrant.
Not sure if notice has to be cleared by the diagnostics computer though.
Then again it may well have been your battery, or fuel pump or blah, blah, blah...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers. Well I guess it's not going to the dealers anytime soon.... May have to dig out the gs 911 and see what's going on

I had that problem a couple of weeks ago. I’d just pulled over to take a pic and after a few minutes I restarted the bike and got that message displayed. The tickover seemed a little uneven so I switched off and restarted and engine ran normally for the 80-odd miles home.

Every time I turn on the ignition I get the message again. I had it booked in at Chester Motorrad but they closed for the duration the day before my appointment.

Was wondering if it was a manifestation of the hot restart problem (mine will only just turnover if it’s only been stopped for a few minutes) – it hadn’t occurred to me that the “Fault in engine control” message could be the exhaust flap. Still, it could be any one of a hundred thing on these bikes.

I had that problem a couple of weeks ago. I’d just pulled over to take a pic and after a few minutes I restarted the bike and got that message displayed. The tickover seemed a little uneven so I switched off and restarted and engine ran normally for the 80-odd miles home.

Every time I turn on the ignition I get the message again. I had it booked in at Chester Motorrad but they closed for the duration the day before my appointment.

Was wondering if it was a manifestation of the hot restart problem (mine will only just turnover if it’s only been stopped for a few minutes) – it hadn’t occurred to me that the “Fault in engine control” message could be the exhaust flap. Still, it could be any one of a hundred thing on these bikes.

Mine is the same with the starting but it's fine when starting from cold ,don't get the fault message though ! It's got a warranty blah blah blah not the point really is it.

Not happy

Got the same problem 1250 twelve months old 8000 miles has come on every couple of thousand miles,been into Williams twice and Chester twice they changed the fuel pump last time.
Not happy this has been going on since new at what time is it not fit for purpose.?

Had same notice two weeks ago. BMW recovery appeared, run diagnostics and voila! Exhaust valve stuck. He wanted to take it in to the dealers. Asked him to wait and opened up valve cover and with the help of a screwdriver WD40 and pliers nudged it free. Problem solved in 15 minutes... for now. If it happens again we are looking at new header under warrant.
Not sure if notice has to be cleared by the diagnostics computer though.
Then again it may well have been your battery, or fuel pump or blah, blah, blah...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would you want to do that,

i'd have had it back to the dealer & warranty work carried out

ive got one at the moment. second time in 3k miles. First time fault cleared by dealer. no conclusive answer as to why the message appeared in the first place.I reckon its a battery issue. did it again just before lockdown. booked in for next week. I'm still using it and it rides fine. I have a Scania 450 that throws up warnings all the time, that has to be cleared by the Scania dealer every time..its not just bmws! pain in the arse though.

Just as an update to this thread, I had the bike in to Chester Motorrad and they said the error message was due to a software glitch falsely reporting a fuel pump problem. They updated the software to the latest version (021-104-020), which took 3.5 hrs whilst I self-isolated in their car park, and now all is good.

I have, however, still detected the occasional hesitant-to-turn-over issue on a hot restart but the starter just about got the engine over compression and started it – I’ve heard some owners saying the batteries fitted to the 1250s aren’t quite as powerful as the 1200s, anyone know the relative Ah ratings?

Alan Jeffries fitted my 1250 with a new battery when I mentioned the hot start issue they are aware it's 'a problem' with some 1250's that are over 12 months old. They also did the software update and replaced left hand switch gear on handlebars.. dodgy indicator switch.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom