2011 R1200GSA possible CAM wear

Moonmanzn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Morning

Doing my valve checks at 18k
One inlet at 23..rest at 20 and 38ish respectively.
Had a look at cam lobes and wondering if this looks normal??
be40e002a64b4b1d38e6d613e8bbb5c4.jpg
b35563b1a2646e48ced71a998192e7d3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

that's not possible wear, that's GONE !

top could be OK but needs a better pic, the bottom one is replacement time (though not sure why that edge as gone as bad as it has - looks like 2 to 3mm has gone walkabout)… you'll need a follower too.

I'd swap that out before u ride it again. Some places weld it up and re harden.... bit of a tune up coming on here.... year's back Dirt bike (USA proper one) always had articles on this forget the brand... (terrible they are huge) they'd buy stock cams grind off the hardening then weld on some blobs and reprofile and re harden … all quite normal…. not sure who does this for BMWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er1bB4aWB_U

for good measure spray that thing bigger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK9OwDxwJp4

that's not possible wear, that's GONE !

top could be OK but needs a better pic, the bottom one is replacement time (though not sure why that edge as gone as bad as it has - looks like 2 to 3mm has gone walkabout)… you'll need a follower too.

I'd swap that out before u ride it again. Some places weld it up and re harden.... bit of a tune up coming on here.... year's back Dirt bike (USA proper one) always had articles on this forget the brand... (terrible they are huge) they'd buy stock cams grind off the hardening then weld on some blobs and reprofile and re harden … all quite normal…. not sure who does this for BMWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcad5vqmzXc

ARe you basing that off the second picture? realised the reflection (reflection is off the side of the cam mount and is the casting surface relecting off the lobe) on the second picture looks like their is massive pitting/scoring, in fact both lobes are smooth with no lip. i was questioning the fading of the surface black coating.

bottom picture... looks like a huge chunk has worn away (on the right side in the picture it looks like its gone through the case (surface) hardening and is falling apart) reading your description that its an odd reflection is interesting, as failure mode would look just like that. But if its all there then its just the joy of photography.

top picture... I don't know what they coated it with from the factory, on the top picture might have a low friction coat that's worn out and the case hardening is intact, although seem to have some radial wear marks that's not great

the tip of the lobe is the bit that does all the hard work, (good oil, allow it warm up before ripping it etc. all good practice)

If they have not been shimmed from new, which they should not have been at the mileage. I would think that they have just polished off the surface Finnish.
clearances are in spec, better on the loose side on a TC as the clearances are more likely to close up through valve seat recession.
Checked and logged my TC at every 6K service and they have always been in spec, last checked at 54K.
Did you ever measure the fuel pressure.
What are you measuring the AFR with to set up your fuel controller, This is always my first check to establish whether a problem is fuel or ignition related.

it is not the shape in question...

top photo shows wear on the cam lobe (score marks).... It would be worth looking at the follower to see if its damaged / heavily worn, as this would be relatively cheap and easy to replace and if its failing (with case hardening worn out) it will take the cam with it

the bottom photo has what we now know is a reflection (without that knowledge it looks like its totally wrecked). If the 2mm odd bands of wear (flat elements) are also peculiar reflections what we can see of the lobe might mean its in better condition that the one in the top photo.

valve clearance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3EoOAb1owc

here's a picture of a worn out Honda cam lobe

capture2-png.152769

Back
Top Bottom