Dwarf with a GS

Skapegoat

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm 5ft 4 and have a 2006 gs since January.
Loving it so far.
I'm not new to bikes by any means but first Beemer.

Hope everyone is enjoying lockdown.
I'm trying to remove 14 years of grime...

Any tips on getting rid of the 5k flat spot?

Decat headers and end can have helped but not the cure just yet...

What's my next option?

Flat spot, dont go near it simples ;)

Never had a problem with a flat spot on mine lol, just kept it around 4K ;)

Harpic max 10x brished on the headers, and agitated, will shift loads of crud ..

Wear goggles - it burns -

Solvol autosol to polish. - dosen last, but looksgood :)

Welcome aboard

Welcome. Re flat spot, have a search on this forum for "Hilltop", a tuning company that many are happy with but be warned..... there are 2 camps.... akin to Keane in Saipan:aidan:D:D

Try some Af-Xied, easier to source if you’re in Ireland than the controversial alternative, also has a value second hand when you move your awesome steed on to the next owner.

Try some Af-Xied, easier to source if you’re in Ireland than the controversial alternative, also has a value second hand when you move your awesome steed on to the next owner.
The controversial alternative is available through a vendor in Co.Sligo

There is also mototuning.ie in Dublin who is a very accomplished tuner and does an awful lot of work within the race scene here in Ireland

from my G8 ThinQ

Hey,

Loving it so far.

What's my next option?
Welcome on board John

from my G8 ThinQ

Welcome Skapegoat :beerjug:

Keep an eye on the Ireland section for the odd meet / ride

Welcome to the madhouse Skapegoat.
Reminds me I should look out the bits and pieces and put them up for sale.Af-Xied
Af-Xied is a good thing.
I am on an Island too.

Hey,

Loving it so far.

What's my next option?

Power Commander will get rid of the flat spot and you can tweak it yourself or simply download various maps from their site. I don't know of a better option where you're not handing over money for nothing. Any garage with a Dyno can move the flat spot for you, but I always went to PC route and tweaked the map myself to enrich the mix as/where needed, plug and play so you can also remove it when you change the bike.

Flat spot, dont go near it simples ;)

Never had a problem with a flat spot on mine lol, just kept it around 4K ;)

Harpic max 10x brished on the headers, and agitated, will shift loads of crud ..

Wear goggles - it burns -

Solvol autosol to polish. - dosen last, but looksgood :)

Welcome aboard

Thanks for the tips and welcomes!
The flat spot is doing my fecking head in though...

Welcome. Re flat spot, have a search on this forum for "Hilltop", a tuning company that many are happy with but be warned..... there are 2 camps.... akin to Keane in Saipan:aidan:D:D

Christ, thanks to you I just read a 14 page thread devoted to this.
Saipan was a meer battle to the hilltop war.

I like the idea of these but 2nd hand. It's 14 years old and I'm not going to feck loads of dosh at it.

The controversial alternative is available through a vendor in Co.Sligo

There is also mototuning.ie in Dublin who is a very accomplished tuner and does an awful lot of work within the race scene here in Ireland

from my G8 ThinQ

Who has the hilltop method in Sligo?
Just seems odd, are they paying for his software? Stealing it or just very good friends?

Sligo wouldn't seem like the best place to be setup to make money on GS specific tech? Can it be used on other makes?

Welcome on board John

from my G8 ThinQ

I presume that is your good self Keith.

Welcome Skapegoat :beerjug:

Keep an eye on the Ireland section for the odd meet / ride

Will do but sprogs eat alot of my time.

Welcome to the madhouse Skapegoat.
Reminds me I should look out the bits and pieces and put them up for sale.Af-Xied
Af-Xied is a good thing.
I am on an Island too.

If your selling them and they suit my 2006 I'm interested at the right price! :)

Power Commander will get rid of the flat spot and you can tweak it yourself or simply download various maps from their site. I don't know of a better option where you're not handing over money for nothing. Any garage with a Dyno can move the flat spot for you, but I always went to PC route and tweaked the map myself to enrich the mix as/where needed, plug and play so you can also remove it when you change the bike.

I've always gone the PC route to, I've a Fireblade with pc3 fully mapped and it's epic since the dyno time. My opinion is firmly set that there is no point in a PC on the standard download maps, you must get it set up on a dyno to get the best out of it.

I'm looking for the cheapest way out of the flat spot. After reading about the PC vrs Hilltop Vrs Xied I'm not sure which way is best. Xied second hand seems the cheapest. PC seems the most expensive and Hilltop has no resale value after if I decide to move on the bike. I'm not sure I want to open the can of worms all have merits and downfalls and I don't care for the politics.

I've put a set of decat pipes on and a can, it's my understanding the ecu "adapts" to the setup over 150miles or so. Could the flat spot "work itself out" in time??? It has vastly improved since the exhaust changes.

Thanks for the many welcomes I think I'll get comfy with my slippers and pipe here.

Enda Somethingorother

He's a car/bike dealer on the outskirts of Sligo and he is an agent for Hilltop...... "I think" it gets done remotely from Hilltop HQ

From reading the extensive barrel of bollox that's been written about the subject, it seems that it has good results on your vintage of Awesome Bavarian Steed.

from my G8 ThinQ

AF-XiED is the way to go.

Be patient......a set will show up.

from my G8 ThinQ

I presume that is your good self Keith.

Yes..... 'tis I

from my G8 ThinQ

I've put a set of decat pipes on and a can, it's my understanding the ecu "adapts" to the setup over 150miles or so. Could the flat spot "work itself out" in time??? It has vastly improved since the exhaust changes

The cheapest and fail safe way of doing it is to adjust how you ride the bike, using the higher rev range will essentially mean you're not holding the throttle in the lean part of the range, for example hold it at 4k revs at 30mph rather than 3k revs will feel less flat because you're calling for more fuel, but not so much that it'll make any real difference to your mpg, but then you didn't buy a CG125 did you :D so you'll never see 80mpg anyway.

The cheapest and fail safe way of doing it is to adjust how you ride the bike, using the higher rev range will essentially mean you're not holding the throttle in the lean part of the range, for example hold it at 4k revs at 30mph rather than 3k revs will feel less flat because you're calling for more fuel, but not so much that it'll make any real difference to your mpg, but then you didn't buy a CG125 did you :D so you'll never see 80mpg anyway.

Ah would ya stop!

Bmw should be ashamed of themselves letting any bike out of a factory like that.
I've never had any bike have such terrible fueling that high in the rev range.
I was mid overtake the other day and hit the flat spot thought the bike was losing all power momentarily which is terrifying during an overtake.
It just should not be there emissions or not.

Maybe I'm used to well fuelled jap bikes and the bmw has it's merits but the flat spot is not "character" like some like to think it is a flaw!
And one I intend to fix.

Ah would ya stop!

Maybe I'm used to well fuelled jap bikes and the bmw has it's merits but the flat spot is not "character" like some like to think it is a flaw!
And one I intend to fix.

And therein lies the problem,

You have to forget jap bikes,

no more blipping the throttle at the lights, or on down changes,

What you have is two big 600 cc pistons slugging it out. they take time to get anywhere try and ride it like a 4 stroke 4 and it will end in tears

You have to adapt your riding style to match the bike ...

Short shifting is your friend........ride it on the low down torque.

Although, what you describe sounds a bit severe.

You have just embarked on a never ending journey.

(did that chap make contact with you about the AF-XiED)

from my G8 ThinQ

(did that chap make contact with you about the AF-XiED)

from my G8 ThinQ

That might be me you are talking about? Sorry none for sale here, just a typo!

And therein lies the problem,

You have to forget jap bikes,

no more blipping the throttle at the lights, or on down changes,

What you have is two big 600 cc pistons slugging it out. they take time to get anywhere try and ride it like a 4 stroke 4 and it will end in tears

You have to adapt your riding style to match the bike ...

I never tought I would be argueing with Santa :)

I've had many bikes, big singles, big V twins, inline fours, tripples, 4 strokes, 2 strokes and a few race bikes.
The only time I have ever had a flat spot like this was either carb issues or coil issues.

The Beemer has a fueling issue, caused by a map designed to pass emissions.
This can be tuned out with hilltop, PC or Xeid.
If it can be tuned out it is then a flaw with the original map.

No one will change my mind on this, yes you could ride around it but every So often you will still hit that flat spot.
If it can be tuned out that's what I intend to do.
I don't want to ride the bike like a race bike but I do want predictable smooth running through the rev range.

I still maintain it is not character, it is euro 4 or whatever ruining the potential of a smooth power curve.

I've had an early vfr800 vtec which people say are snatchy but this is alot worse and less predictable.

Back
Top Bottom