Self service 1290 sas

xantamisch

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
During this 'ere lock-down I'm planning to do the 30,000km service on my 1290 SAS, armed with lots of youtube and my mate Pete as back-up. I've already done brake pads and chain and sprockets

I obviously won't get a software update. Is this likely to be an issue? Has anything significant changed?

thanks

I am sure the clever KTM software engineers have fixed some bugs....

...and introduced some new ones in the process ;-)

Whilst there I would do the Fuel Filter, kit is £80 from KTM, or £25 from some bloke on adv rider.

During this 'ere lock-down I'm planning to do the 30,000km service on my 1290 SAS, armed with lots of youtube and my mate Pete as back-up. I've already done brake pads and chain and sprockets

I obviously won't get a software update. Is this likely to be an issue? Has anything significant changed?

thanks

For several years I've serviced my bikes, + BMW & Mini cars.

Re not getting software updates, I've never seen this as a problem because as far as I'm concerned if it's running and operating well, it will continue to do so.

Software doesn't need servicing or updating so long as it's not interacting with other software which has.

thanks

last daft question - will i need a special plug spanner? don't want to get bike stripped down and find i can't get the plugs out

What’s up with the fuel filters?

They are renowned for clogging (have been on all LC8's) better to do them whilst servicing the bike than having a holiday ruined or trying to fit them outside a Hotel in the rain with the bikes toolkit.

Look on advrider for loads about this.

This is from the KTM Special Tool Catalogue

Screenshot%202020-04-01%20at%2010.14.46-XL.png

I just checked what plug spanner I used on my 1190, and it was a plain deep 14mm socket.

It's a standard Snap~On deep socket SFSM14 Dimensions in the link.

I said thin wall earlier as I thought i'd used a proper plug socket, but it appears not.

Tip: blow out the well that the plug sits in before removing the plug. I had one where a little water had seeped past the stick coil, the plug had gone rusty and dropped rust debris around the plug. Very tricky to get out after I'd removed the plug to avoid it going down the hole. I had to use a torch, a pick and a home made narrow adaptor for the Dyson :)

all done

my halfords 14mm socket worked fine

I didn't do the fuel filter as it was about 20 euros postage from greece

also, I didn't change the sas freed valve things. Is this worth doing / necessary? thanks

I didn't do my reed valve. TBH I only noticed it should be changed after i ordered all the parts. If I was to do anything with them, I'd probably blank them off and delete the SAS anyway.

When a dealer services the bike, they should do a fuel pressure test. I suspect this is simply to ascertain the state of the filters. I'd swapped the fuel filter at about 13K and it didn't look like it needed doing at the time. The American owners seem to have more trouble with this than European owners, judging by the posts on ADVrider.

all done

I didn't do the fuel filter as it was about 20 euros postage from greece

A great saving unless they clog up when on tour - as they will still be £20 plus postage from Greece, or £80 plus labour costs at the nearest KTM dealer.

My dealer did say they don't have many problems with them, I think a lot is down to fuel quality or even where you ride as I suspect dust and crap can get into tank when fueling up, they also mentioned a pressure test check - but I was not confident that they might not look good when checked at 18k and not make it to the next check at 36k.

I probably spent too much time reading about filter issues on adv rider, and early 1090 / 1290 models had an issue due to be down to crap inside the tanks from the manufacturing process.

Back
Top Bottom