KTM 790 Adventure Alarm - Immobiliser

wilbjr21

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Following on from a post by Tim Cullis about the suitability of the very much cheaper Meto Defcom T to do all of the functions of the alarm from KTM.

The two units seem to be identical.

The KTM Powerparts description states a Dual circuit Immobiliser as well as Plug and Play

I've looked at the wiring diagram for the bike and cannot for the life of me see how even the KTM unit will immobilise. The wiring is just not there.

Does anyone have the genuine unit fitted who can verify that the KTM alarm does in fact immobilised the bike...... i.e. will the engine refuse to start with the key (in passive mode) without the alarm being turned off from the fob first?

Attachments

• 790 Alarm.jpeg
    790 Alarm.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 1,603
I can now answer this question myself.

The KTM version does not immobilise. The immobilisation contact in the KTM unit is not used; in fact the current carrying capacity (10A) is not even mentioned in the KTM Instructions specifications for the unit. This unit is sold for more than one motorcycle and the immobilisation section of the unit is not used in any KTM motorcycle that has a key "chipped" to the ECU.

It is no different to the one bought for £77.95 on eBay.

The circuit looks very primitive

Just feeds indicators.

Is there a seat detector switch

Also what is the aerial connector for?

The circuit looks very primitive

Just feeds indicators.

Is there a seat detector switch

Also what is the aerial connector for?

Yes there is a seat switch included with the alarm The seat even has pre-drilled holes for the magnet and so has the location for the reed switch.

The aerial is used to pick up the radio signal from the remote control.

As well as feeding the indicators the alarm contains a 114 db siren and movement sensor. It will also alarm if the ignition is switched without the alarm being disabled (via the fob) first.

So it does all the things except immobilise.

Does the bike already have an immobiliser - maybe this is just an alarm ‘addon’

Does the bike already have an immobiliser - maybe this is just an alarm ‘addon’

It has an immobiliser in that the two keys are paired to the ECU. I have used the immobiliser contacts on my bike's alarm unit to add another circuit and prevent it starting with the key; unless the alarm fob is used.

The point is ..... the unit from KTM is described as a 'fail safe, dual circuit immobiliser" It isn't.

The eBay unit is identical. A Meta Def.Com T.

Have you fitted this at all, as I want to fit it to my 790 duke and want to make sure it the same cabling.

Thanks

Have you fitted this at all, as I want to fit it to my 790 duke and want to make sure it the same cabling.

Thanks

Yes I've fitted it. Works well. I don't know about the Duke but on the Adventure it's plugged into the cable/plug that exits for the purpose. There is a mounting kit available from KTM and this includes the reed switch for the seat (790 Adventure mounting kit). If you buy the ebay one a reed switch comes with it, but you will need to source a plug for the wires to go into the wiring loom.

You then have to decide if you want to use the immobiliser contacts for this purpose or just have it as an alarm.

I fitted a META alarm to my 1290SA-S, When it came to the seat switch, the socket too a bit of finding, it was down behind the right side cover - I got that tip from a post somewhere... Anyhow, I just tinned the reed switch wire tails to make "pins" and pushed them into the socket, grand.

Back
Top Bottom