My route app - what tool to use on the road to get from iPad to device ? ?

boatman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The my route app loads onto the GPS from my MacBook when at home , but even that is a bulky thing , with drives etc .
I always have an iPad about me when I am of bike camping , does any one have an
" on the road " solution using an iPad / tablet type device ?? . I know some folks like to do all their planning at home , but I like to wander around bike camping unplanned as the weather / notion takes me . Also the iPad is easily charged and lasts well on a charge .

Last edited by a moderator:
Or ...

do what many are doing and ditch the GPS, use your phone with an app like Scenic or MyRoute itself.

Or ...

do what many are doing and ditch the GPS, use your phone with an app like Scenic or MyRoute itself.

Cue: "I don't want to use data, 'cos it's a rip off" and "Anyone know free maps, 'cos they is well expensive and I've got me PCP to pay on me spankers new steed an' I got the new clutch reservoir guard from TT on order and lookin' at a guard for me centre stand, in case it gets chipped, like what me mate has. It's the bollox"

Here’s a way to do it, if you don’t have an XT. I say, ‘a way’ but I think it might be the only way. It’s a sticky also.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...utes-from-an-IPad-iPhone-onto-a-Garmin-device

I'd agree this is the best option, I bought the RavPower Hub while I still had my TomTom Rider and found it very easy transfer stuff from the iPad to the GPS. You could probably do it with iOS13 connecting directly to the iPad but the lightning port has a very measly power output which even most USB sticks are too high for and it complains.

My iPad Pro won't power my Nav6 directly, but you can get a passthrough adapter which allows the charger to be connected to the iPad and the Nav to be connected, however, I don't know if anyones successfully tried it.

I'd agree this is the best option, I bought the RavPower Hub .... however, I don't know if anyones successfully tried it.

I think you have summed it up pretty well there. I too have tried to power my Nav VI and Nav V from my large iPad, without any joy. I haven't tried a passthrough either. Maybe I'll give it a go.

In the days that I did use a separate GPS, I took a MacBook Air along, so each evening I could plan the next day’s route on Kurviger, based on what the weather was doing, how far people wanted to ride, which BBQ place they wanted to stop for lunch etc.

Then used that to dump it onto base camp and then Nav VI.

Life’s much easier now I just use my phone ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom