USB Power via mount - Zumo XT

Garry H

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
USB Power via mount
Just knocked this prototype up so i can use a usb adapter in the cigarette lighter socket
Instead of the rather expensive bulky garmin power cable to swap the XT between bikes
Far neater and works a treat :thumb

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 4,416
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 3,717
Perhaps you could tell people what components you used and how you did it, as they may want to do the same.

Thank you.,

Purchased the spring loaded connectors off ebay
Used a old usb cable
And machined the connector block up on my CNC mill

Thank you.

Do you have a link to the spring loaded connectors, please?

What's the purplish looking stuff in the lower picture, a bit like a see-thru plaster above what looks like solder?

Will you be offering a service to CNC the parts for punters / make the connectors (they supply the bits) or is there any alternative practical method they might use if a CNC machine is not to hand?

Last edited:
Transformer....I will get my time machine out and try to find out what you are on about ;)

The Garmin cable has a voltage regulator in it. The plug that supplies the unit delivers just over 5 volts
Thats why you can run it off a usb power supply in the cligher socket and that means i can use a small usb cable and not Garmins expensive and
rather large cable to power it

Transformer....I will get my time machine out and try to find out what you are on about ;)

The Garmin cable has a voltage regulator in it. The plug that supplies the unit delivers just over 5 volts
Thats why you can run it off a usb power supply in the cligher socket and that means i can use a small usb cable and not Garmins expensive and

Knew there was some kind if widget in there!

..... that means i can use a small usb cable and not Garmins expensive and

Compared with a large and expensive CAD machine, Garmin's offering might seem quite a bargain :D

:beerjug:

after checking out the prototype and it works fine i have made a couple up so you can see it before the cable is attached

Attachments

• IMG_20200406_155343.jpg
    IMG_20200406_155343.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 2,982
  • IMG_20200406_155408.jpg
    IMG_20200406_155408.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 2,908
  • IMG_20200406_155625_1.jpg
    IMG_20200406_155625_1.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 2,901
Very neat and tidy.

It would be great for owners of the XT (there are some) with more than one bike, if you were able to make up and sell them the key components. I can definitely see the advantage in your device, over buying a second full blown Garmin mount.

Looks like you have built yourself a potential business, Garry. How it takes off is up to you.

:beerjug:

Yep i am not surprised
Trouble is the gold plated connectors are not that cheap and it's a fair bit of work
I could supply them as a kit to self assemble with your own old usb lead
But you would need to be a competent solderer for sure and have a decent soldering iron

Hmmm....

So is the result of this thread that the Zumo XT can be powered directly from a USB socket? Interesting because I have a dual USB socket on my GS and a single USB socket on my Harley.

Was going to hard wire to the battery, but this would be simpler. I am a competent solderer! Used to be a "wireman" many years ago and have several million solder joints under my belt, although these days I prefer the heatshrink solder butt connectors.

(Actually, it wouldn't be simpler at all - and a hardwired battery connection is only the matter of 15 minus work. This would probably take an hour or so. But nice solution nonetheless.)

I think you have missed the point ;)
If you have got more than 1 bike
Most bikes have a usb socket on them ( if not it's very easy to fit one )
If you have a ram mounting ball on them
It then takes seconds to swap the XT between bikes

I think you have missed the point ;)
If you have got more than 1 bike
Most bikes have a usb socket on them ( if not it's very easy to fit one )
If you have a ram mounting ball on them
It then takes seconds to swap the XT between bikes

No, I get the point and it's a good solution. But I don't have a ram mounting ball on either bike, so I might as well just buy another mount kit.

I would like to make up the USB version just as a project, but in reality the time it would take me to source the parts and put it together is probably worth more than the cost of just buying another mount kit.

Compared to what Garmin mounts have cost in the past i reckon the power lead and mounting "plate" are quite reasonable at £18 for the plate
and £35 for the power lead both delivered free from Garmin; it's the way i'll be going. I already have the necessary ram mount parts.

I managed to make two locking mechanisms for my 590 mounts and will see if i can adapt them to the new one. If not, i will make two more from scratch.

Excellent work. I've been looking for the pins on ebay and found a few listing with 100 pins in a bag. Do you happen to have any info on what pins you used? Thanks again! Paying $40-50 for a bulky cable isn't cool or portable.

Back
Top Bottom