Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: That Montjuic of mine

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    That’s the RS started and run up to 70c. It doesn’t tick over where it should unless you give it a whiff of choke for a second then it runs nicely at about 1600rpm which is ok for what’s basically a highly tuned 2 stroke.

The LC needs the battery putting back in it but I need to keep something back to do tomorrow.

Getting back to the Montjuic, the carbs are back in the cleaner but with proper carb cleaning solution and they’re at a nice steady 75c where they’ll stay for about another 45 minutes.

I reckon it’s crud in the fuel tank causing the problem so I’ll fill the tank with cheap fizzy drink and leave it for a week before going back to that one.

Andy..A couple of questions, please feel free to ignore me if you have better things to do.

The last time that I read about your H2, I THINK that it was up and running and on on the road. How come it needed new indicators and did you buy it with the K & Ns - have you had to source the airbox gubbins ??

I must have missed your updates on the 'Notrun' Is it now alive and (sort of) kicking ??

I'm following this with interest - I might have just been unlucky, but I never ever saw a Monty that ticked over. They ALL looked/sounded highly strung things that needed JUST the right amount of throttle/choke to make them run properly - get it a fraction wrong and it would just die.

Good stuff...Crack on !!....

The H2 had what are described as gash front indicators mounted on the handlebars rather than on the headlight brackets so I sourced a new headlight shell, light unit and indicators ages ago but only got as far as fitting the headlight shell then put it to one side. It was on the road and perfectly legal but just didn’t look right.

It had a set of Denco expansions on it along with K&N filters but I fitted Higgspeed chambers because they looked better than tatty old matt black Denco ones. The air box assembly was ordered from Japan about 3 years ago and then forgotten in the roof of the garage until I found it again last week so given that I’ve got time on my hands I decided to fit it.

The Montjuic is, as you say, a highly strung beast that needs setting up just right and the issue with mine is that the muppet who sprayed it got a load of overspray in the tank and it’s turned to jelly that’s got through the fuel filters then gummed everything up. My fault entirely, I should have addressed the issue ages ago but didn’t. It’s got brand new Dellorto pumper carbs which when cleaned should be fine. It may need a tweak on the timing and I’ve got a colourtune set to check the mixture is right once the carbs are cleaned, it was right before but who knows what it’ll be like now

The LC has been kicked into life but only ran on the LH cylinder when it was on full choke. Again, it’ll need the carbs removing and cleaning because when it was on the side stand and I turned the fuel on it pissed out but was ok on the centre stand. The same person as sprayed the Montjuic sprayed the LC so it’s going to get the fizzy drink treatment to clear the shite out of it.

The Notrun does run but it doesn’t charge so my suspicions lie with the air gap between the rotor and the stator. It’s a bastard to kick over and while I’ve got time on my hands I might bite the bullet and buy an electric start conversion. It’s a bit naughty and a bit of a gamble given that I’m not working but my accountant has told me I’m stupid if I don’t furlough myself and claim the money so I can have a Government subsidized electric start conversion which would make me smile for years

I’m enjoying myself playing with bikes at the moment, we have our two eldest granddaughters here for 5 nights of the week so that’s a good reason to be in the workshop while they do their school work in the house.

Old enough to know better Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Andy,
    Have a word with Paul Hamon who runs Alton.
    He makes the electric leg kit for the Notrun

Many thanks for the comprehensive reply.

You've got a lot on there, best of luck keeping all those plates spinning...

Edit - Did you sell the 916 ??

Quote Originally Posted by NeilDD View Post
    Andy,
    Have a word with Paul Hamon who runs Alton.
    He makes the electric leg kit for the Notrun
    They’re on the list of people to contact. Andover Norton also sell them though they may be the same manufacturer who, I believe, is French.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnie comet View Post
    Many thanks for the comprehensive reply.

You've got a lot on there, best of luck keeping all those plates spinning...

Edit - Did you sell the 916 ??
    The 916 is still in the garage but once we can get a ticket on it the wife wants rid of it.

Oooo 916
    1993 Ducati 888 SP5
    1970 Triumph Trophy T100C
    1997 Triumph Daytona 900
    2002 Triumph Bonneville 790 (Desert Sled)
    2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (Rob North Replica)
    2017 Triumph Bonneville Bobber 1200
    2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XC

Old enough to know better Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyB_11 View Post
    They’re on the list of people to contact. Andover Norton also sell them though they may be the same manufacturer who, I believe, is French.
    Yep Paul is French, and a good guy to deal with.

Some good stuff here Andy; don't know how i've missed this; when your a busy kind of guy it's hard work doing nothing; i thought i was getting stuck in cleaning and polishing; although i have now run out of autosolve polish with half the back wheel on thr GS done;. That electric leg sounds a good idea.

Some good stuff here Andy; don't know how i've missed this; when your a busy kind of guy it's hard work doing nothing; i thought i was getting stuck in cleaning and polishing; although i have now run out of autosolve polish with half the back wheel on the GS done;. That electric leg sounds a good idea.

Saturday update:

It’s sort that LC day today so the obvious starting point was tank and carbs off.

That quickly showed up why the left hand cylinder cut out whenever the choke was turned off. Funnily enough the left hand needle had the same shitty deposits on the needle and the same crud in the float bowl.

I think the lesson here is to clean the tanks on both the LC and the Montjuic and drain the carbs if the bikes will be left standing. Who’d have thought it?

There’s no point in messing about with bottles of cheap fizzy drink when Ł20 gets me a 1l bottle of 81% phosphoric acid so it’s ordered and this is one battle I’ll win 😀

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB_11 View Post
    I think the lesson here is to clean the tanks on both the LC and the Montjuic and drain the carbs if the bikes will be left standing.

Who’d have thought it?
    .......Who indeed ??!!......()

Lots of nice bikes Andy and I get that you/your Mrs are busy, but it seems to me that, as carbs etc are gummed up, you hardly ever ride these things.

Are you perchance by nature a 'stuff' person...like my Mrs ??.... ....

They used to be dragged out fairly regularly but circumstances have overtaken us a lot of the time and me being busy working when the sun is shining has seen them neglected. The crap in the carbs has to have come from the overspray in the tank which is annoying but at least the other bikes haven’t suffered in the same way and start/run whenever needed.

If I can get my outfit sorted and road legal I’ll be selling it just to make room in the garage and make it easier to get bikes out because that thing completely blocks one garage door and it’s been impossible to move for 3 years due to not having a back wheel in it. I’d had half a plan to extend the front of our garages by about 5’ this summer which would have made things far easier but not knowing when I’ll be back at work has put that on the back burner unfortunately.

Part of the reason for buying slightly rarer than normal bikes was because they won’t lose money and it’s not long until we both retire at which point we’ve got plans to sell up and buy somewhere with a bit more land and a big fuck off lock up that’s more accessible when it comes to getting bikes in and out.

I get ALL of that.....Good luck with it all.......

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast