Thread: Final drive torque settings

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Final drive torque settings

I only have a Haynes manual which isn't the best. So a few questions please if anyone can help.

Just got a new final drive inner cover oil ring ( the big thin one!) to fit but can't find the torque settings for the 7mm Allen caps.

Also renewing the torque arm rubber bushes. Any tips on fitting the bush to the bevel box? ( I've done the front one )

Is there a proper BMW workshop manual in whatever form, available? The Haynes one is probably the worst manual for a particular model that I have seen.

Thanks in anticipation

( Such a shame Steptoe's tutorials have lost all the photos. )

If the oil seal you're speaking of is the large one that is visible when the wheel it's off then if I remember correctly you don't need to take off the main cover (the one with the 7mm Allen bolts - which I think are 11Nm?). Just hike ot the old one with a seal puller push in the new one.

Not sure about the rubber Bush in the FD casing. Someone will be along with the answer

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tinytim View Post
    Is there a proper BMW workshop manual in whatever form, available?
    https://www.carlsalter.com/bmw-service-manuals.asp

What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperyeel View Post
    If the oil seal you're speaking of is the large one that is visible when the wheel it's off then if I remember correctly you don't need to take off the main cover (the one with the 7mm Allen bolts - which I think are 11Nm?). Just hike ot the old one with a seal puller push in the new one.

Not sure about the rubber Bush in the FD casing. Someone will be along with the answer .

He’s talking about the thin rubber o ring that’s used inbetween the cover and the Final drive case.
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

Brilliant. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
    He’s talking about the thin rubber o ring that’s used inbetween the cover and the Final drive case.
    I am indeed. I have now got the torque figures thanks. Whilst you're here, any tips for changing the torque arm bush at the bevel end? Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
    Ahhhh. O-ring was the missing magic word

I was wrong it seems on that 7mm alien torque value. Looking at that manual it seems they're 35Nm...

Here you go.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2003 R1150GS Twinspark
    2012 R1200GS Adventure Twincam

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ian J Hartley View Post
    Here you go.
    Thanks all.