Northern Ireland MOT, got your refund?

Betty Swollocks

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I applied for my MOT, got the Gov exemption certificate due to the defective lifts.

It states "Your fee will be refunded automatically"

4 weeks tomorrow since issue of the exemption certificate but no refund as yet.

Anyone on here got a certificate? Have you checked to see they refunded you?

My son got his refund but it was a few weeks after the exemption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my exemption cert for my MX5 weeks ago but no refund as yet. I phoned the DVLA here and was told they’d only started refunds last week, so I suppose it’ll be another few weeks before I see said refund.

My other problem is my Africa Twin was sorned over the winter and it’s first MOT was due March 1st, but as it was off the road I wasn’t worried. I applied for a test which is meant to be on April 4th, but as that’s not going to be carried out, I’ve been patiently waiting for the exemption cert to come, but there’s still no sign of it and their data base doesn’t recognise my reg number. Methinks there may be a looming problem, but I guess with what’s going on, not really a massive one right now.

Now that one might be worth a phone call seeing you’re only a few days away. I would have to say their website is far from clear but as you say they have other things on their mind. Keep yer distance. Stay safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that one might be worth a phone call seeing you’re only a few days away.

Well I’ve now spend half an hour trying to get through to anybody here in NI or Swansea with no luck. They’re not answering any calls and you just get a runaround before they hang up. Complete government department shutdown it seems.

Just got this reply to my email a few minutes ago...

Thank you for your email, which has been passed to our Refunds Team. Please note that currently we are experiencing high numbers of requests for information, and we will deal with yours as soon as we can. Please allow at least 10 working days for receipt of your payment.

Well they haven’t made it obvious in how to contact them, but I’ve now found another email and sent my concerns...hopefully I’ll get an answer soon.

It took me to go right to the top and contact the minister in charge of the DVLA NI to get a result.....and within 24 hours I have my extension cert for the bike and refunds of two test fees. Great work from those involved, but shouldn’t really have been necessary.

Back
Top Bottom