Non fault claim price hike

Glynn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Someone drove into me whilst I was on my bike. He admitted liability.
Insurance paid up (£4013.00)!
My bike renewal went up £150!
It's a non fault claim. FFS!

Presumably I can expect my van and car insurance to go up too.

Can I claim from his insurance for price hike? And how?

Thanks

Glynn

………..how do you know it is directly attributable to a no fault claim - did they tell you this?

Just shop around and get a lower quote!

Brenda?

I left it too late to shop around for the bike insurance (C. Nash)

Over the phone they told me as he had admitted liability it was a non fault claim

You were involved in an accident. Statistically you’re more likely to be involved in another.

Sounds just like any insurance company upping the premium at renewal if you do not shop around!

Still within the 14 day cooling off period?

Brenda?

I left it too late to shop around for the bike insurance (C. Nash)

Over the phone they told me as he had admitted liability it was a non fault claim
Brenda Mitchell at Motorcycle Law Scotland, very experienced motorcyclist who happens to be a lawyer too.

If you have household or motoring legal expenses, ask them for advice

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

You were involved in an accident. Statistically you’re more likely to be involved in another.

Absolute feking tosh... ;) another "insurance spin" to justify increased premiums. They hide behind an algorithm lol

Trust me if you've been belted up the chuff or sideswiped by a driver, your more aware of your surroundings than ever before...

or ffs even like my mrs who drove into the back of someone ... she's only done it once ..and that was over 20 years ago lol

:)

Absolute feking tosh... another "insurance spin" to justify increased premiums.

Yes.
The premium hike is not allowed in some other European countries, if you are not at fault.

Sadly here regulation is a bit more lenient towards financial institutions... it means shopping around or coughing up the extra cash.

Similar happened to Lorraine , my girlfriend.
A scally girl drove into Lorraine's parked Rav4 and managed to hit it hard enough (while driving up a 1 in 4 hill and 100 yards from a junction) that she stoved in the rear, bent the rear axle which jammed the tyre against the wheel arch, and bounced the Rav onto the pavement.
The girl's car and Lorraine's Rav 4 were both written off.
Lorraine was asleep in bed at the time, and her car was parked totally correctly.

Lorraine's insurance afterwards went up by £50 because her car had been "involved in an incident", and just like the debate above, the insurance algorithm then calculated that because an incident HAD happened, another one COULD happen. :blast

Last year my Blackbird got side swiped by a Car approaching a roundabout in the left lane while I was alongside in the outer of the two lanes and the driver decided to change lanes with no warning.

I didn't come off or do much damage, just a Footrest Hanger that cracked and was replaced for under £20.00 from a Breaker.

The Car driver didn't stop so I reported the incident to the Police and Insurance company "For information only" as required, in case the other Driver did the same.

Then for months afterwards I was hounded by Ambulance Chasing Personal Injury Solicitors!

This year when renewing my Car policy, the above incident added £30.00 to the quotation.

Ive been in the same situation even if the insurance company pays up its classed as a ongoing claim unless you confirm in writing that the claim is complete and you are not claiming any payment for injuries. You can get back in contact with the insurance company and they should claim this back for you from the other insurance company
My accident was two years ago and still ongoing and my insurance trebled but have been advised i will be available to claim this back
Ian

For the OP, it might be worth having a conversation with BeMoto if you're within the cooling off period with your current insurer.

I had a bad one a few years back where I was knocked off by a car driver and it hosed my premiums on the comparison sites.
After I explained the circumstances to BeMoto they spoke to the underwriters on my behalf (a real person speaking to a real person) my premium was not loaded.
As long as they deliver that kind of service without outrageous hikes at renewal I'll be sticking with them forever.

BTW, I had the same with a car insurer (20 years ago) after I was stationary in a car park s=and someone reversed without looking and went straight into me.
Again, no fault claim fully paid by other insurer but my premium went up.
Argued the point with my insurer and they reversed the increase (but again, only when I spoke to a real person)...

Complain to the Insurance Ombudsman and your MP, or even better tell your insurer that you believe they should pursue the offending driver through the courts for the extra premiums you are going to suffer over the next few years as part and parcel of the claim.

Few years ago was speaking to a colleague still in the job , a drunk driver lost it on a bend and went through both his and his neighbours gardens wiping out both of their cars sitting on their respective drives ............. about as unblameworthy as is possible ............. both his and his neighbours premiums were hiked up .

Basically the insurance algorithm said you own a car , it was involved in an accident ergo you are a greater risk to insure

Back
Top Bottom