R1250GS Exclusive - Engine Noise (Valve Tick) Cylinder Pod

Morning all, I also have the R1250GS timing chain noise issue. Bike has been to the dealers a few times re the issue and again a few months back and they acknowledged the fault but at the time there was no fix. I followed them up this morning and was told that BMW will be issuing replacement parts following a successful test on the fix. He didn't know if they would issue a full recall (now called QE or quality enhancement!) for affected bikes but for me the win is that BMW now officially acknowledge the issue and are doing something about it. I look forward to being contacted in the next few months and nice to know I didn't imagine it!!

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I just wondered how you got on, I had the same rattle on a 1250rt and the new tensioner was fitted recently but now I have an awful engine drumming like a wahh wahh wahh at motorway speeds plus increased vibration through the bars and pegs, this is around 4000 to 4500rpm, it’s made motorway riding horrible.

On my 2022 model 1250 gsa the motor was very quiet until after the first 1000 miles and then the ticking on the left side of the motor started and appears to be getting worse.

However, it quietens down over 3000 revs, the ticking noise is between tickover and 3000 and worse on the overrun when decellerating

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I just wondered how you got on, I had the same rattle on a 1250rt and the new tensioner was fitted recently but now I have an awful engine drumming like a wahh wahh wahh at motorway speeds plus increased vibration through the bars and pegs, this is around 4000 to 4500rpm, it’s made motorway riding horrible.

I would take it back and complain if you are not happy with the repair.....

It could be that your valve timing has been altered slightly with the fitting of the new cam chain tensioner, a dealer tech may inspect it and find something not right. Then again it could be as simple as tyre tread wear or pressures. Until you get the bike checked out by the dealers it is all guesswork, but you paid for the bike and warranty at the end of the day.

I would take it back and complain if you are not happy with the repair.....

It could be that your valve timing has been altered slightly with the fitting of the new cam chain tensioner, a dealer tech may inspect it and find something not right. Then again it could be as simple as tyre tread wear or pressures. Until you get the bike checked out by the dealers it is all guesswork, but you paid for the bike and warranty at the end of the day.

Hi, it’s 100% not tyres or pressures, pull the clutch in and drop the throttle and it’s super smooth, definitely the motor. I am in dealings with the dealer about it, my issue is the warranty runs out on the 27th of this month and we are on holiday, my wife isn’t keen to go back on Friday when we’re due home to pick me up. I can understand that as it’s another 100ml round trip to drop it off.
It was in for service to as 3 yrs is up, it’s only done 9300 mls and they weren’t keen to adjust the valve clearances but as I was paying for the cam timing to be checked anyway for my peace of mind it should all have been done.
I found out that the technician working on my bike was called away on an emergency then returned the following morning to the job.

I’m hoping my dealer will talk to bmw and explain so I have at least another week to get it back after the warranty’s out. I don’t want to spoil mine and my wife’s break.

same here

Hi, just joined the forum. My first BMW, a 1250GS Exclusive, 2019 - 4000 odd miles, i'm the second owner and it's straight into the dealership with a fault.
I'm surprised to see no mention of an up and coming issue with the new 1250 engine.
It's a noise coming from mostly the left hand cylinder head which sounds like a valve out of adjustment - a tick.
Only starts when the engine is up to temperature. No affect on performance or idling etc.
The bike is currently with the dealer awaiting a new cylinder head installation, however there are no parts in the UK or so I have been told.

Researching google, no mention that i can find of the fault, however Youtube has a few videos of the exact same fault, some worse than others.
Comments left on the videos range from dealers stating it's normal and nowt wrong, new cylinder heads and even a new engine.

My only concern is that even with new heads and engines, the tick seems to be present. I cannot find a post which states the fault has been cured.

Any further info from yourselves will be gratefully received.

totally sympathise my 2020 2300 mile as a tick left cylinder annoying and against my sympathy of mechanical knowledge not acceptable
I Understand 2021 onwards do not suffer this and they is no recall or dealers fob you off with they all do it I am going to extend warranty as a precaution
Bmw probably avoiding warranty costs recall etc I Would expect pressure and exposure will force their arm
Trouble for me I have now tuned into it and the thinner the oil gets the louder the tick becomes
Dealers are good at retailing but poor in supporting .However after 40 years of purchasing only Honda are relatively quick to recall and act

Quite Comical reading all these threads. I suppose 20 odd years ago when I bought my first Boxer GS i worried the same:nenau
I have to endure the same comments from a mate who has just bought his first GS. :comfort

well, just had the updated tensioner fitted this afternoon, no more ticking and bike smoother :beerjug:

new part no 11317108586

well, just had the updated tensioner fitted this afternoon, no more ticking and bike smoother :beerjug:

new part no 11317108586

Was that the only part that was replaced do you know buddy?
Thanks for the info btw! :beerjug:

yep, just the l/h tensioner, took no more than half an hour in the workshop,, new tensioner has a 19mm head, old tensioner has a 17mm head

Thanks for the info Shifty, I'll take a look at mine as its also very noisy and speak to my dealer if it has a 17mm head.

yep, just the l/h tensioner, took no more than half an hour in the workshop,, new tensioner has a 19mm head, old tensioner has a 17mm head

Just seen this and checked mine, 21 model year new in Jan 21, now on 6500miles. It’s got 17mm nuts on the tensioners so I’m assuming I needs changing as it is rattling.
Did they leave the right side?

Just seen this and checked mine, 21 model year new in Jan 21, now on 6500miles. It’s got 17mm nuts on the tensioners so I’m assuming I needs changing as it is rattling.
Did they leave the right side?

yep, they just did the left side, :beerjug:

Tick , knock

Just changed mine on a 2020 GS 4000 mile bike
£68 from dealer , fitted it myself 10 minutes.
Tick now disappeared.
My question is if the dealers and BMW are saying it’s not an issue , basically they say it’s a characteristic of the engine ( Bollocks )
If it’s not an issue where are they selling a modified part.!

Just changed mine on a 2020 GS 4000 mile bike
£68 from dealer , fitted it myself 10 minutes.
Tick now disappeared.
My question is if the dealers and BMW are saying it’s not an issue , basically they say it’s a characteristic of the engine ( Bollocks )
If it’s not an issue where are they selling a modified part.!

Do you have the part number?

Hi Rockwell
Thanks for that.
Any soecial tools or gaskets needed to change the tensioner ?
I would love to give it a try.

Thanks

The kit comes complete with a new o ring .
You will need a 17 mm socket to remove the old one and 19 mm socket for the new one , it will take you 5 minutes,.

Back
Top Bottom