Gorge du Tarn

Wapping

Reaction score
The latest edition of Tourenfahrer magazine has a decent article (lots of pictures) on a suggested jaunt along the reasonably popular Gorge du Tarn

6063b95b27e21e884fadf73118c63b03.plist

e840a97c2a7a0b32c652fe98d9a232a0.plist

Download the gps track from the magazine’s website:

https://www.tourenfahrer.de/tour-datenbank/

Want to get there quickly? The A20 and the A75 motorways are your friends. Want to get their a bit slower? Then ask Kurviger.

I went along the esatern section last year, I came off the ferry from Corsica at Toulon, headed north and things picked up when I found the D907, a great wee remote road that arrives in Florac. An easy night stop with good camping, supermarket, choice of hotels, bars and restaurants. You can easily find more local bars if you look, half the price and double the atmosphere of the tourist traps. Next day ride along the gorge, this time I did the initial nice section then headed north. Great area out of main tourist season when it can get very busy.

Fantastic area.
Spent a week there. Bought the local Michelin sheet and explored all the wriggly roads. Still masses left unridden at the end of a week.
I struggle with the concept of "passing through" these amazing areas.

I went along the esatern section last year, I came off the ferry from Corsica at Toulon, headed north and things picked up when I found the D907, a great wee remote road that arrives in Florac. An easy night stop with good camping, supermarket, choice of hotels, bars and restaurants. You can easily find more local bars if you look, half the price and double the atmosphere of the tourist traps. Next day ride along the gorge, this time I did the initial nice section then headed north. Great area out of main tourist season when it can get very busy.

My plan is (was) to ride it again this July but we'll have to wait and see what happens.

I've not ridden the "esatern" section before so I'll try that, hopefully, Alastair!

My plan is (was) to ride it again this July but we'll have to wait and see what happens.

I've not ridden the "esatern" section before so I'll try that, hopefully, Alastair!

You'll enjoy - whenever that is. I'll give you directions to a good pub in Florac! Good base for a couple of days if you're not in a rush

Same here did the bit from a few miles East of Millau and then continued across to the West and onto the Alps, very good, need to get back and do more, July was an option as I could meet friends in Meyrueis for a few days - probably out of the question now, hoping late summer / Autumn might be OK

The Jonte gorge that splits off the Tarn on the D996 at Beauregard is a good add on to this route. I can recommend Meyrueis is a place to stay. Half a dozen hotels and restaurants with tables alongside the river. Campsites as well apparently. Hotel de France is you are flush, I used the more homely Hotel Europe but ate out each evening at whichever riverside restaurant took my fancy. https://goo.gl/maps/Vcurf7xC3QPggfbNA

I'll make a note of it - thanks.

What's so special / good about this bar in particular?

It's a tourist area and most bars are after that market (as far as I could see). This one had a good atmosphere, friendly, mainly locals who didn't mind me being there, decent prices, decent beer and wine.
If you want a posh bar with mainly tourists then there are a couple up behind this one, and elsewhere.

Rent a kayak in St Enimie

They’ll take you up river in a van and you make your way back to the base in your own time,

You get a big plastic barrel for your gear so you can stop for a picnic on the banks on the way

It’s a very nice way to spend a sunny afternoon :thumb2

Did just that last year staying in Les Vignes the hotel made me a packed lunch and i spent the day paddling down the river. As ever nothing ended smoothly i missed a bit of suntan lotion on my ankle and paid the price of boots hot exhaust and sunburn for a few days.

Attachments

• 8EF5979E-64FF-4F87-B88F-D4B24282C42E.jpeg
    8EF5979E-64FF-4F87-B88F-D4B24282C42E.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 428
  • CEFC5807-ABC1-4BAE-8658-E46560252FDD.jpeg
    CEFC5807-ABC1-4BAE-8658-E46560252FDD.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 401
It's a tourist area and most bars are after that market (as far as I could see). This one had a good atmosphere, friendly, mainly locals who didn't mind me being there, decent prices, decent beer and wine.
If you want a posh bar with mainly tourists then there are a couple up behind this one, and elsewhere.

That sounds like my kind of place - I try to keep away from tourists.

thats better

Attachments

• 101.jpeg
    101.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 154
  • 102.jpeg
    102.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 169
Looks like a clean up after a BBQ outside the pub. Other photos are probably available.
Not everyone's preferred bar I'm sure, if it was it would be full of tourists, just the sort of place I like. As said before, plenty choice and I'm sure others will have gone elsewhere

Back
Top Bottom