National Library of Scotland. Digital maps

Very clever!

Looks like there was a rifle range across the road, back in the '20s. (golf course now)

Using the side by side option lets you see how somethings have changed, and how modern towns etc incorporate features from the past.

Ace! Looking at my old stomping ground of Guildford fascinating to what was there and what has replaced the land marks i grew up with.

Very interesting - Been using it to see what’s changed around a property in Dalbeattie

What’s your connection with Dalbeattie? It’s an unusual place with few apparent hooks/industries.

D&G is a lovely area, though - a great bit of coastline.

My Dad lived there for 30 years - Past away in Feb.

Great coast just down the road and Loch Arthur is always a favourite place to stop for a bite

Attachments

• 4C5388BD-6306-4682-B7A9-A9B2A46B4543.jpg
    4C5388BD-6306-4682-B7A9-A9B2A46B4543.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 192
I'm very impressed with that.. Not just restricted to Scotland so I'm having a look around nearer to me.. fascinating to see the remnants of stuff long since removed, or even where there's no remains at all! My factory is in a time warp compared to the the rest of the industrial estate. It's partial outline is on the 1883-1913 map. Not only that, but the river next to it was diverted into what is now our car park and to the doors of two buildings.

Thanks Peter, a most engaging post. I learnt a few things about places several hundred yards away that I never knew before.....despite being here 20 years! Much obliged!!

Time wasters!

Its alright for these erse's that have been forbidden from going to work....I have to carry on ...on my own...in the garden!!

But we'll have some party when it's all done....!!

Fascinating.

I thought the extension to my house was built around 1898, judging from the bits of newspaper I found in the ashes stuffed between the joists - but it was there in 1893 !

And down the road (which now leads to the Edinburgh Airport perimeter fence) there used to be a 'Mineral Railway' leading to what appears to be a quarry at Ingliston. That explains a bit of embankment between two fields which have some old iron fittings sticking out (I thought it was probably wartime stuff from RAF Turnhouse).

Every day's a School Day :thumb.

(Love this historical stuff - as you can tell from the age of my bikes :D).

Bob.

Back
Top Bottom