I am starting to muck about creating routes on a large iPad....

Wapping

Reaction score
.... in Kurviger and MyRoute, in order to send them to a Garmin device.

I don’t have one of the new XT devices, so I have bought a RAV wireless travel hub (as recommended in https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...utes-from-an-IPad-iPhone-onto-a-Garmin-device) in the hope of getting the routes from my iPad onto my Nav V / VI. The hub should arrive today.

What I have found so far is that both Kurviger and MyRoute offer up, take me from A to B (and even take me from A to B to C to D routes) very quickly. That I knew already. That’s great providing you do not mind what roads the two pieces of software have taken you down. If though you want to amend the routes to force them along a road or roads of your choosing, it’s a time consuming business; not hard but... It may well be easier on a PC screen but on an iPhone or even a smaller screen iPad it would not be so easy. That’s one of the downsides, as most people won’t take their PC on holiday with them.

Score 5 for the ease by which the two separate softwares create simple routes, requiring no manipulation. Accept them as they are and you are good to go, no question about it

Score 3 using either of the two softwares and the A to B method on a big iPad screen

Concede 1 if you want to manipulate the route, on a big screen iPad

Concede 2 if you want to manipulate the route on a smaller screen

As I don’t yet have the travel hub to hand, I can’t yet test how well the routes transfer. Though from the other thread, it looks like it should be OK from a communications point of view. A bit of a faff with the SD card but only because the Nav V / VI cannot accept Bluetooth transfers, other than Garmin to Garmin. It should certainly be easier with the XT

I also want to see how well the routes open and run on the two devices, to see if there are any significant glitches or alterations. I assume that transferring the routes as tracks, will reduce the chances of them being altered

Conclusions so far:

A. Would it be easier to take my small MacBook Air and just stay entirely within the sphere of Garmin’s BaseCamp? For me, yes

B. I can see where the iPad method would score in an emergency. But then, I guess I could just ask my device (or phone) to take me from A to B anyway. And, really, how many emergencies does one face on a trip?

C. Not being able to transfer wirelessly from an iPad to a Nav V or VI, adds a layer of hardware (the RAV wireless hub) and expense to the process. There again, I can use the hub for other things, too

PS The sooner this lock-in business stops, the sooner I can stop mucking about.

I use MyRoute-app but usually on the website as I find the app on my iPad a PITA. One frustration is it along with a number of other app is that it only works I portrait.

It’s so long since I’ve used the app I’ve forgotten the other issues.

I recently started using to plan cycle rides as well.

I hadn’t considered the portrait vs landscape issue. Both Scenic and Kurviger work in landscape and portrait modes.

It’s interesting the PITA bit, as many hope to use their phone / iPad to plot routes and transfer them wirelessly to their devices. Plotting routes (or having them created for them) on the fly, depending on the day and seemingly, the weather.

The instructions, for an illiterate like me, as to how to use the hub thing might as well be in Russian.

There’s a bloke on the internet with a video instruction on ‘How it works’ but he rattles along so fast, it’s all but impossible to follow his banter. He starts off OK, telling us that the instruction book isn’t that good, but then slips into IT jargon, which you try to follow whist simultaneously watching him do ‘stuff’ on his iPad. I did though learn that, in order to turn on the hub’s Wi-fi, you have to hold the power button down. Just for starters, that critical piece of information is missing from the instruction booklet. Without the Wi-fi on, the app won’t talk to the device. The booklet itself is about the size of a very large postage stamp, in small print. Which gibbon designed it?

I bet it’s a piece of piss when you know how.

Hey-ho, tomorrow is another day.

I've got one of the RAV things, bought it to transfer pictures from SD cards to a tiny 1tb SSD disc during our Mongolia trip.

After about a week Mrs Berin asked me to transfer all the photos off the filled up 32gb SD card so she could re-use it.

Due to the shite instructions and piss poor user interface I thought I'd copied them successfully and then somehow proceeded to delete them from both the SD card and the SSD drive.

I only survived because Mrs Berin needed me to navigate.

I am glad I am not the only one, though sorry to hear about your pictures. It’s such a pity that what seems to be such a good device (bods rave about it) is let down by stupid instructions and poor ‘Here’s how to do it’ videos.

I managed to recover the pictures off the card when we got home, in both jpg and raw so no long term matrimonial damage done.

I did work out the RAV in the end, you’ve got to be very clear which device it’s showing the file system for, the interface is a bit crap.

I think it will work as you suggest, though, with a bit of perseverance.

Have put it to one side for now. My daughter's boyfriend who knows about this stuff should be able to set it up for me.... or I might go back to the video I found and get busy with the pause / rewind buttons. I can see the value in it and am usually very happy with RAV products but this one has got me beat.

Back
Top Bottom