650 X Challenge Radiator Leak

Epicrider

Reaction score
My 2007 650 X Challenge is leaking from the radiator and after calling the dealer for a replacement I found there are none in the US or Germany. I have looked at several used part places with no success. I also found an aftermarket radiator made by Pace Products in the UK i believe but have not been able to locate that company. Another avenue I have been looking into is using a radiator from a F650 GS but seems to be several differences such as the upper mount location, no expansion tank. I love this bike but not sure what to do with it if the parts are not going to be available????

Have you spoken to a local radiator repairer who should be able to re-core your existing radiator ?

PACE used to make an aftermarket replacement, but don;t any longer and have no stock left.

Approx a year ago there were approx 12 left in BMW Global stock, but they may well have gone now.

Someone was looking at a Chinese rad manufacturer to see if they could do a copy, but I've heard nothing further on that.

I'd see if you can get a re-core as John said, and keep an eye on this section as I am sure as soon as someone can source one, a few will be after them.

Good luck!

PACE used to make an aftermarket replacement, but don;t any longer and have no stock left.

Approx a year ago there were approx 12 left in BMW Global stock, but they may well have gone now.

Someone was looking at a Chinese rad manufacturer to see if they could do a copy, but I've heard nothing further on that.

I'd see if you can get a re-core as John said, and keep an eye on this section as I am sure as soon as someone can source one, a few will be after them.

Good luck!

I've spoken to this Company and they have advised they can do a re-core . I've not needed as of yet to follow it up so not sure of costs etc...

https://www.adrad.co.uk/motorcycle-radiators/

What is a second hand rad worth?

Depends upon condition I guess. I have a couple but not in the best of shape. May try that firm for a price on a re-core when I get it out of the container.

maybe a long shot, but doesn't the one from the husqvarna Terra 650 fit as well ? afaik, it was more or less the same bike after being taken over from Husqvarna ...

Nice one Gareth, I'm interested in one.Cheers Steve

Nice one Gareth, I'm interested in one.Cheers Steve

They said they'd had one in before, but couldn't source an appropriate core at the time, but if I posted it to them they would try again.

To be posted in the morning it is then. Fingers crossed.

They said they'd had one in before, but couldn't source an appropriate core at the time, but if I posted it to them they would try again.

To be posted in the morning it is then. Fingers crossed.

I'm wondering if they are getting mixed up . I called in last year with a K1300GT radiator and they said they couldn't source a core as it was curved . I then asked them about the G650X radiator and they said they could do a standard rectangular core no problem . Lets see what they come back to you with . If they need anything further I can always call in and see them once we are out of lockdown with my XChallenge as they are only 45 minutes away from me

I'm wondering if they are getting mixed up . I called in last year with a K1300GT radiator and they said they couldn't source a core as it was curved . I then asked them about the G650X radiator and they said they could do a standard rectangular core no problem . Lets see what they come back to you with . If they need anything further I can always call in and see them once we are out of lockdown with my XChallenge as they are only 45 minutes away from me

Cheers John. Will update with progress

It would be good to know there was a source of getting the radiator repaired.

Out of interest, as this is the first time I have ever had a watercooled bike... why does the radiator start leaking? Is it because it rots through, or because it gets punctured by flying debris?

If through rotting, how can you protect against it and make it last longer?

Prevention of flying debris is easier... my riding ability prevents that. ;)

Mine have never leaked, but have either been bent through falling off, or been caked in clay and fins blocked/damaged through too aggressive cleaning.

X challenge seem more suseptable unless a low mudguard is fitted.

The one I have sent off hasn't been used for a bit, and the aluminium on top and bottom is flaky and has white salt like deposits on it.

I am hoping a core with a better fin structure is available.

Bikes are over 10 yrs old now, so I'd like a couple of spare rads if I can get them sorted for reasonable money

Mine have never leaked, but have either been bent through falling off, or been caked in clay and fins blocked/damaged through too aggressive cleaning.

X challenge seem more suseptable unless a low mudguard is fitted.

The one I have sent off hasn't been used for a bit, and the aluminium on top and bottom is flaky and has white salt like deposits on it.

I am hoping a core with a better fin structure is available.

Bikes are over 10 yrs old now, so I'd like a couple of spare rads if I can get them sorted for reasonable money

How are you getting on Gaz? any news on this?

After mashing my radiator with a big stick (not deliberately) I’ve just fitted one from an f650cs (scarver?). I had to make a flat steel bracket for the top mount as the new rad mounts are wider and further forward. Also the bottom peg is in a slightly different place so the lower mount needs tweaking. The upper fan mounts are just plastic inserts rammed through the rad (!!!) and can be re-used. There are no bottom fan mounts, so i may try gluing a small bit of ally angle to the rad, like on the original. Apart from that it fits and works. Hope that’s of help to someone....

Just emailed them with some pics and measurements to see if they can do, price etc.

Okay, quick update, after them doing quite a bit trying to source appropriate bits, they have confirmed that they cannot re-core the g650x rads.

Another plan needed..... Nathan, calling Nathan

Okay, quick update, after them doing quite a bit trying to source appropriate bits, they have confirmed that they cannot re-core the g650x rads.

Another plan needed..... Nathan, calling Nathan

Thanks for the update Gaz. Currently looking into it again.

Back
Top Bottom