R1150RT front suspension dive

Colk

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just bought a 2003 R1150RT with 45,000 miles on it.
On the ride home I noticed the front dives, even when coming off the throttle and also under braking of course.
I thought these bikes were not supposed to dive at the front at all, so I suspected the front shock, as it looked original and after 45,000 it may be past it's best.
However, I went budget replacement way and bought another 2nd hand shock from Ebay, fitted it yesterday and there is still a dive in the front when simply pushing down on the handlebars.
So I reckon I need a new replacement shock but just wondering am I right in my thoughts ?
I have nothing to compare with, do these bikes dive at the front ?
From watching reviews online they apparently don't dive at all.
Is there anything else I should check before spending 300 Euro on a new front shock ?
I hear the forks are just guides as such and don't provide any resistance to diving on the front.
Thanks for any help received.
Also, if a new shock is what is required, any tips on where to buy one at a half decent price, I live in Ireland so anywhere in Ireland or UK probably be easiest.
Regards,
Colm

Give DenzO a shout on here. He does suspension rebuilding.T Tech Suspension.
There are many posts on here showing his work and excellent feedback.
Ideal for you now that you have a spare shock.

Colm 2nd vote of confidence from me .Denz0 rebuilt my gs shocks and he did an amazing job and at such a good price. He is also a gentleman to deal with and to talk to.
Hope this helps.
Dub 24

What you may have is wear on the upper suspension mount.

Where the suspension goes into the frame there is a sleeve, with two bushes , one upper and one lower .

The idea is one bush is on the underside of the frame, and one on the upper, the sleeve sits between the two,

and when you tighten the suspension up the clamp together.

What happens though is over time, the lower bush gets deformed and you start to feel movement, similar to the suspension compressing

you may be able to see / feel it if you walk the bike forward and apply the front brake quickly (feels like a clunk at the head stock)

When i replace my oem shocks for Wilburs, that's how i found it, the lower bush was so deformed, it wouldn't seat properly,

and when it did, even tightened fully it there was movement.

As you have only just brought the bike maybe it's just normal, there's always some dive on the R1100/1150 front end, it's just very much reduced from a traditional front fork setup :thumb

The Telelever should definetly prevent fork dive.
The shocks last longer than 45K miles (kilometers?)and the chance of 2 giving the same fault should be minimal.
Sounds like there is a nasty problem in the suspension somewhere,but without a good look-over,not easy to find.
Have you checked the tightness of all the fork-leg/suspension bolts?.Tyre pressure OK?..
Was the shock you bought secondhand from the RT model (i'm thinking of a stronger spring than other models due to the RT's extra weight).
Might be worth checking the two rubber bushes in the top yoke (under plastic covers) as they can perish and cause flex in the steering.

The Telelever reduces fork dive not prevents, I had 2 of these bikes over 100000 miles on them, I have just sat on mine and can get about an inch compression holding the front brake on, there will always be a little dive, as your on your on your 2nd shock and it's just the same on your 45000 mile bike I would say what you got is normal, think your hunting a problem that doesn't exist

Thanks for all the replies.
I think after reading them all, I will wait until I can get the bike out on the road again before going any further.
I don't feel a knocking / clunk, so I think the bushes are ok.

Until I do a test ride I guess I won't know for sure and if I find the shock is gone too, then at least I have Denz0 to ask about rebuilding one for me now.
Thanks all,
Colm

What you may have is wear on the upper suspension mount.

Where the suspension goes into the frame there is a sleeve, with two bushes , one upper and one lower .

The idea is one bush is on the underside of the frame, and one on the upper, the sleeve sits between the two,

and when you tighten the suspension up the clamp together.

What happens though is over time, the lower bush gets deformed and you start to feel movement, similar to the suspension compressing

you may be able to see / feel it if you walk the bike forward and apply the front brake quickly (feels like a clunk at the head stock)

When i replace my oem shocks for Wilburs, that's how i found it, the lower bush was so deformed, it wouldn't seat properly,

and when it did, even tightened fully it there was movement.

What he said particularly if the front of the bike gets a dunt. I replaced the lower ball joint on the telelever of my GS as it had become notchy and was affecting the front suspension. I ride on a fair few bumpy roads the bike has 70K on it now I replaced mine at about 52K . Very little dive on my r1150gs despite about 8inches suspension movement. There seems a bit more on my R1200rt LC but I think they tuned that in for later bikes to improve feel :)

Colm one other thing if you're looking for filters Etc go into Bradshaws motor factors they can get the mahle oil air fuel filters for a fraction of the price of the main stealers

There absolutely should be some dive in the front, weight needs to transfer forwards to assist with front tyre grip when slowing down. The difference is that it shouldn’t dive excessively like a regular fork. The main advantage of the telelever front end is separating suspension from steering, you can brake deep in to the bend hit a bump and it should not effect the steering. Try adding some preload to the front shock to reduce the dive, standard shocks will be fairly poop by now and the standard springs were always on the soft side.

Cheers all again, this is a great forum for advice :)

Thanks Dub24 for the tip on the filters, that's brilliant, there's a Bradshaws near me too and I don't need an excuse to go there:)
Regards,
Colm

Back
Top Bottom