R 18

Hut van

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Did anyone else watch the YouTube reveal of the R 18, must admit I quite liked it.
Like other big cruisers I quite like the idea of less electronics and more basic options, no clue on prices but knowing BMW it won’t be cheep.
What d,ya think?

Hopefully a moderator will move this thread to the correct area.

I will be interested to hear what the Harley die-hards have to say - after all, many even shunned other H-D models such like the V-Rod series as not being "proper" big twins.

I have also read that BMW should not try to copy H-D so much.

BMW's big problem in the USA will be that the machine is not made in the US plus their comparatively sparse dealership network. I guess that many US H-D riders will never get to see one in the flesh. BMW will find it almost impossible to replicate the HOG chapters.

But Germany is a big market for H-D - they have even outsold Suzuki in some recent years. BMW will certainly want to make big inroads in their domestic market.

It certainly is a big bugger at 345 kg ready to roll. I think the ability to customize the bike is very cleverly thought out, but the cost of the customized parts is eye-watering to someone who is not used to spec'ing up an H-D. It also has a USP of a reverse function as a factory-fitted option.

According to the BMW website the UK base price is £18.995 - but even a pillion seat is an extra-cost option. A K1600B will look like a good deal after one has added a few extra to the R18.

I do like the look of the R18, but I would not get much use out of it. Anyone who is interested in such a machine owes him/herself a test ride to judge for themselves.

GLWS BMW!

Back
Top Bottom