Charging voltage.

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2010 FLHTCU. Bike back on the road this week after a 4yr hibernation due to DVLA and HMRC problems.

Anyway, I noticed the voltmeter showing a charging rate of 17 volts on the batwing analog dial.
Is this the normal running charge rate?

So long since I rode it, forgotten what it actually showed.
My 1150GSA only goes to 14 V.

Thanks

Patria o Muerte

Nooooo that’s too high.
14.4v fully charged, on charge, is spot on.
Get a meter on it and check your analogue gauge.
If it’s truly 17v you need to replace the regulator before you cook the battery (and possibly other more expensive things).

Nooooo that’s too high.
14.4v fully charged, on charge, is spot on.
Get a meter on it and check your analogue gauge.
If it’s truly 17v you need to replace the regulator before you cook the battery (and possibly other more expensive things).

What he says, way too high!! I suggest you test it with a volt meter on the battery just to rule out a gauge fault, engine running and under load should give a reading of around 14 ish as mentioned above.

Yes, it looks to be the voltmeter as it shows around 15V just switching ignition key on. On starting/riding, up to around 17V.
My little digital voltmeter at the battery gives between 12-13V and as stated above, when running; around 14-14.5V.
Battery is a MotoBatt.

Time to take the front fairing off when some other parts on order inside need fixing (Odometer switch).

Patria o Muerte

Yes, it looks to be the voltmeter as it shows around 15V just switching ignition key on. On starting/riding, up to around 17V.
My little digital voltmeter at the battery gives between 12-13V and as stated above, when running; around 14-14.5V.
Battery is a MotoBatt.

Time to take the front fairing off when some other parts on order inside need fixing (Odometer switch).

Patria o Muerte

Just giving mine a quick kick now; it's no Harley but she's still got big enough lungs to give the battery a good battering when you push the button; here's the state of play as it stands.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200412-122157.jpg
    Screenshot_20200412-122157.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 121
  • Screenshot_20200412-122148.jpg
    Screenshot_20200412-122148.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 118

Back
Top Bottom