1290 SDR

One of the problems in having a blast abroad now is getting caught doing so. If I'd been caught having fun on my XR along the N&D roads in France I'd probably still be in prison. I've been nicked many times but glady only a few KMH over the limit.
I still managed to collect two speeding tickets from hidden cameras.

I would suggest it isn't the bike that's the problem re your speeding tickets.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

One of the problems in having a blast abroad now is getting caught doing so. If I'd been caught having fun on my XR along the N&D roads in France I'd probably still be in prison. I've been nicked many times but glady only a few KMH over the limit.

It may sound completely bonkers especially because I have larger, more touring friendly bikes in the garage but my bike of choice for long trips is my KTM390 Duke.

It's cheap, has good tank range, will do 90mph if you really want to but I know I'm not going to be sent to prison or be done for riding vastly over the limit.

I still managed to collect two speeding tickets from hidden cameras.

I only ride thro France now as a matter of course as prefer the Spanish roads ( we ship the bikes now and fly as it’ suits our group of solo riders) , and tried and tested areas we go to . I find Spain better to have fun in and the roads are better in general . The wife likes France on the way to Italy and we cruise thro , as you say they is buggers in frog land

sorry for picking up an old thread...

are the SDR and the GT the "same bike" - obviously the GT has a bit more plastic, but does it have the same specification engine and chassis parts?

I fancy a SDR - i keep looking at them, oddly the GT comes up a bit lower priced second hand and i cant tell if it is just less desirable or if it is lower spec?

sorry for picking up an old thread...

are the SDR and the GT the "same bike" - obviously the GT has a bit more plastic, but does it have the same specification engine and chassis parts?

I fancy a SDR - i keep looking at them, oddly the GT comes up a bit lower priced second hand and i cant tell if it is just less desirable or if it is lower spec?

On paper they are pretty much the same bike but having owned the GT and spent a good few miles on the SDR i can tell you that they feel very different or at least to me anyway and of the 2 the S|DR is the nicer to ride

On paper they are pretty much the same bike but having owned the GT and spent a good few miles on the SDR i can tell you that they feel very different or at least to me anyway and of the 2 the S|DR is the nicer to ride
The GT has electronic suspension being the major difference.

I've just swapped my 2017 Gen 2 SDR that I put 4500 miles on from new for a new 2020 GT. I absolutely loved the SDR but the longer distance riding I prefer made it hard work on day 3 onwards of a trip. YMMV though and they are more than capable of touring.

In the real world the riding position is more relaxed on the GT too due to slightly wider and swept back bars taking more weight off your wrists. The wind protection also makes higher speed stuff a lot easier but if anything that makes the GT more dangerous for your licence because it gets upto speed just as quick as the R but you don't get that blast of wind to "warn" you you're into licence losing territory.

The killer feature of the 1290 R and GT is the engine. Even though it's the same LC8 lump in the adventure, it feels like a completely different motor in terms of sound and raw power in the Superdukes. It's divine!

If you have the cash definitely go for a Gen2. The engine is much smoother and the blipper is lovely. Albeit one of the optional extras on the SDR yet for some reason it's included on the GT without being fleeced for it as an extra.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom