1290 SDR

stick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Need some convincing to run a second bike , the GT does not do it , but the SDR seems the rabid sister , how good is it.
This is not a KTM knocking thread , but more of a research for a second bike to take to Spain . The write ups always seem to be in the roads we only visit via ferry , so in the real world , not main roads
ie A roads , what is this bike like on British twisty roads .
I had the old 990 Superduke R and loved it , but it was a bugger ride , in Spain great , thanks to Maxon tho otherwise a no go.

Take a demo bike out and make your own mind up. Doesn't sound like you're a ktm man if you couldn't get on with a 990 superduke.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

You’re a bit late for April 1st ;)

Why doesn’t the GT do it ?
The latest 2020 version is supposedly greatly improved over the 2019.
Surely the GT would be a better bet than an SDR if you intend to ‘tour’ on it .
Go ride them back to back when the lockdown is lifted .

Take a demo bike out and make your own mind up. Doesn't sound like you're a ktm man if you couldn't get on with a 990 superduke.

I loved it but the cost of Maxton to get to perform was not good , and limited due to the suspension.. shame as it was a great motor and light .

Why doesn’t the GT do it ?
The latest 2020 version is supposedly greatly improved over the 2019.
Surely the GT would be a better bet than an SDR if you intend to ‘tour’ on it .
Go ride them back to back when the lockdown is lifted .

Its an ugly bugger , and i,ve got the 1250 to tour (and scratch ) but just like the look of the new bike , but is the 17 to 19 as good . I just remember going to Spain on the 990 and having a blast but wishing more on the handling even with the Maxton..The 2020 is showing great write ups but is the previous bike as good …. 1200 / 1250 argument

It’s the best bike I’ve ever had. Love it to death.

The (gen 2) electronics make the bike. It’s so well thought out.

It looks Spartan but is incredibly well thought out and designed.

Also amazingly comfy. Can easily ride all day, much comfier than 990 adventure (with renazco seat) that it replaced.

I honestly can’t think of much that I don’t like. Wind blast at high speed, but it is naked. A screen helps, but adds noise and takes away from the looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s the best bike I’ve ever had. Love it to death.

The (gen 2) electronics make the bike. It’s so well thought out.

It looks Spartan but is incredibly well thought out and designed.

Also amazingly comfy. Can easily ride all day, much comfier than 990 adventure (with renazco seat) that it replaced.

I honestly can’t think of much that I don’t like. Wind blast at high speed, but it is naked. A screen helps, but adds noise and takes away from the looks.

Which one have you got . Year wise is the 17 to 18 seem good , not yet read up about the pre 17 , will do today . As soon as the situation changes I will take a test ride .

So there are generally 3 versions, with just paint differences between model years.

The gen 1 was 2014-2016.
Gen 2 came out 2017-2019, more electronics (anti wheelie, launch, cruise control etc)
And the gen 3 is 2020-

Easy way to tell gen 1 or 2 at a glance, is the headlight.

I got a full black 2018 (but waited to reg) on a 19 from gear4 in market deeping, good guys.

One thing that’s slightly annoying is that you have to pay extra for the performance and track packs to be enabled. But you can easily include these in your haggling.

I got a mega deal on mine as KTM were selling them off before announcing the new model, as they tend to do.

I will probably go 1290GT next year when I retire.
Will be doing a lot more distance work then with Rapid Training and will need the bigger size, tank range and luggage.
The R is not for me.

Check out 44teeth on you tube. They gave some reviews of both the R and the GT ....

I had the GT and just could not get on with it but that was me not the bike

My mate has the R its his 4th SDR and he just loves them and to be fair i quite like riding his for a few miles when we swap. He tours all over Europe on his with no problems

It is a very fast bike but you limit yourself at the top end due to it being naked etc

They are very civilised when tootling but lunatic when needed I love them but couldn't have one

I had the GT and just could not get on with it but that was me not the bike

My mate has the R its his 4th SDR and he just loves them and to be fair i quite like riding his for a few miles when we swap. He tours all over Europe on his with no problems

It is a very fast bike but you limit yourself at the top end due to it being naked etc

They are very civilised when tootling but lunatic when needed I love them but couldn't have one

So a good second bike then?

So a good second bike then?

I can never have a second bike because i would agonise over which bike to go out on and then 5 miles down the road would be convinced i was on the wrong one

You can tour on any bike I did on the Hyper which was the most unsuitable touring bike imaginable really and the SDR will do everything you needproviding you are man enough for that sort of usage

if you like spending time on the back wheel alone or just letting all the power rip you up to 3 figures very very quickly then the SDR is just superb. Also handles really well although my mate isnt as impressed with his most recent SDRs suspension as he was with previous 3 but apparently there is a suspension upgrade available on new orders at a cost which seems to be KTM accepting or cheapening parts in order to sell upgrades

The electronics are way better on the latest compared to previous and with various paid for packs like the track pack it can all be dialled in to suit your hooligan desires

Insurance is a problem if you get the full Akra system ( As my pal has) as his latest renewal went from 140 quid to over 800 because of the pipe so he has taken it off

Thanks for all your replies and being nice ,,,,,,, test ride me thinks and make my mind up then . Great engines and look cool , would be a nice addition to the garage.

I love it. It really is the best all rounder I’ve ever ridden.

It’s a cruiser, a bruiser. Nice and flickable.

Very difficult to beat in smiles per mile.

I love it. It really is the best all rounder I’ve ever ridden.

It’s a cruiser, a bruiser. Nice and flickable.

Very difficult to beat in smiles per mile.

Yes, I would agree with all of that

Its an ugly bugger , and i,ve got the 1250 to tour (and scratch ) but just like the look of the new bike , but is the 17 to 19 as good . I just remember going to Spain on the 990 and having a blast but wishing more on the handling even with the Maxton..The 2020 is showing great write ups but is the previous bike as good …. 1200 / 1250 argument

One of the problems in having a blast abroad now is getting caught doing so. If I'd been caught having fun on my XR along the N&D roads in France I'd probably still be in prison. I've been nicked many times but glady only a few KMH over the limit.

It may sound completely bonkers especially because I have larger, more touring friendly bikes in the garage but my bike of choice for long trips is my KTM390 Duke.

It's cheap, has good tank range, will do 90mph if you really want to but I know I'm not going to be sent to prison or be done for riding vastly over the limit.

I still managed to collect two speeding tickets from hidden cameras.

Test rode a 1290 superduke and bought a ducati hypermotard sp.

Much more ‘special’ imo, the KTM engine doesn’t do much for me tbh, I know it’s fast n all that I’ve tried it on the adventure too, just not my thing. You need to be tall for a Hypermotard.

Back
Top Bottom