Pannier Frame Brace

Basic with chrome frames and support bar
a5d239951a3ad83008cc6569e6825cfa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at your picture your frames seem to have a flat section on the bottom run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 'flat' on the bottom run is actually a strip of foam tape, slightly come unstuck.

That and the tape on the vertical run is to stop the Motorcases 'chattering' if empty or lightly loaded.

The frames are correct, although on the ST they should obviously be chrome, all the fixing points line up correctly on the seat subframe and rear carrier.

I have 2! No longer needed. £15 each off 1989 R100GS now have a stainless bracket holding the stuff together.

Stainless Brace

Much nicer looking and a lot stronger. IMHO. No strain on the fragile Mudguard and Number plate.

Attachments

• pannier brace.jpg
    pannier brace.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 95
BMW's Effort and my solution

My stainless solution against BMW's original idea, one sold one left

Attachments

• Pannier brace bar.jpg
    Pannier brace bar.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Brace Bar and clips.jpg
    Brace Bar and clips.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 89
Finally figured out why the pannier brace won't fit my bike. With the help of RPMDAKAR, we sussed out that the pannier frames on my bike had been mounted further forward than standard. Where the front fitting normally goes to the back end of the footrest, mine go to the subframe bottom joint. The upper fixings are drilled into the top of the subframe. The panniers sit further forward which, if I was ever to carry a pillion and panniers, There wouldn't be much room for the pillion's heels (unless he/she was wearing stilettos. I leave that thought with you). Hence the pannier brace, if fitted at the numberplate, has no hope of reaching forward. I'll look to do a custom job on that if I need to.

Advantage of moving panniers forward? All I can think of is a better CofG when loaded up solo, and reduce load on the subframe for a given pannier load (think cantilever force, moment-arm). Unless anyone has any other ideas? Is this a popular mod? Sorry for the murky photo.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 22.09.16.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 22.09.16.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 66

Back
Top Bottom