The screen is too reflective / too bright

Garry H

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
......the screen on the XT is far too reflective and is very hard to see with the sun behind you
A anti reflective saver will sort this
I can't understand why daylight devices have a shiny screen :nenau

Owners like bright screens.

There are lots of posts in other threads about people turning up the brightness, particularly in bright sunlight. I think this simply bleaches the screen out more. How often the sun is positioned at such an angle that it makes the screen difficult to read, I don’t know. How often people ride along staring (or squinting) at the screen, instead of looking at the road ahead, I don’t know either. Not very often and not for too long, I hope.

I was really struggling with my 660 especially when wearing yellow Scott jacket which reflected beautifully in the screen.
Sunshade helped a little, KTM mount lets me pivot the thing up or down on the move to get the best I can, but the game changer has been fitting Packtalk and listening to voice prompts in my ear.

A good screen protector, as used on phones and cameras, should not affect a touch sensitive GPS screen, especially the modern ones that work through bog standard motorcycle gloves.

That looks interesting.
Let us know how it works for you!
I would like to try one on the 660 but I wonder how it affects the touch-screen sensitivity?

I've got a 'normal' screen protector on the XT @ the moment & it doesn't affect the touch screen sensitivity @ all.

I've also got an anti glare screen protector to fit if the normal one doesn't reduce the glare; I'm confident that this one won't affect the touch screen sensitivity either.

:D

Thats the one i have fitted to mine
Not altered the touch...But i am not convinced it has made it any better in bright daylight
It might even be slightly worse :blast

If it's the normal one it'll be more reflective than the anti glare.....the normal protector has a 'shiny' surface and the anti glare has a 'matt' surface.

No it's the anti glare
Be interested to get somebody elses view on it but i can't say i would recommend it
Seems no better at reducing glare it's still unreadable with the sun shining on it from behind and the screen is not as bright as without it

Attachments

• sp.jpg
    sp.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 436
Ah.....in that case, I'm out of ideas!!! :nenau

I've yet to road test it so I'll see what happens.

I gave it a decent test today and as i thought it is rubbish
It may stop scratches but it reduces the visability a lot in bright daylight and this loss of contrast caused by the protector makes the screen a lot worse when the sun reflects on it
Went for a good ride on the push bike with the sun behind me with the protector on to get a feel for it... then removed it to see the difference...Result is the protector is going in the bin
and i won't be fitting another one of this make for sure

Road tested mine today and it was very sunny all day.

I left the normal screen protector film on it (not the anti glare one) and it worked superbly. Screen lovely & bright, and when the sun hit it, it was still bright enough for me to clearly see all the graphics.

I have the anti glare one in Keith’s link and it does what it’s meant to do.

Owners like bright screens.

There are lots of posts in other threads about people turning up the brightness, particularly in bright sunlight. I think this simply bleaches the screen out more. How often the sun is positioned at such an angle that it makes the screen difficult to read, I don’t know. How often people ride along staring (or squinting) at the screen, instead of looking at the road ahead, I don’t know either. Not very often and not for too long, I hope.

It dosent bleach the screen as such, it just shortens the backlight life. as the backlight leds are driven harder

Its all to do with the way TFT screens work (Forgive me if it's teaching you to suck eggs)

TFT Thin film transistor , needs a backlight (LEDS) to make the image visible , trouble is, the contrast ratio means that in bright light, the screen washes out.

Bringing the backlight up, brightens the image ....

OLED Organic LED incorporates a backlight into each led hence the contrasts can be so pronounced - black blacks (as there is no backlight shinning through)

OLED is expensive , TFT relatively cheap

Once OLEDs drop to commercially viable pricing Oled screens will become the norm and washed out screens will become a thing of the past

I gave it a decent test today and as i thought it is rubbish
It may stop scratches but it reduces the visability a lot in bright daylight and this loss of contrast caused by the protector makes the screen a lot worse when the sun reflects on it
Went for a good ride on the push bike with the sun behind me with the protector on to get a feel for it... then removed it to see the difference...Result is the protector is going in the bin
and i won't be fitting another one of this make for sure

I've found that too. Now I have a case for the device the screen protector is binned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom