XT not recognised in BaseCamp on a Mac.... a possible answer and work around

I never tried the trip functionality on the XT.
I'll give it a try these days as, like you, I'm messing about with sat navs these lockdown days.

so I guess then I just show the track on screen and follow it

Ye, that is what I usually do on the XT.
The track is not "fat", but generally visible.

certainly doesn’t look like an OS map, anyway

Yes, that seems a bit sparse.

This is my OSM:
xtmap.jpg

Couldn't be arsed to use the screenshot function, sorry, and it just swtitched to the night colour scheme.

86966413fd26a7ac2725aad51a10bbe8.jpg

Here’s a track, converted to a route in Basecamp (direct routing) then sent to the XT from Basecamp.
The XT then imports it as a trip, and you can navigate it the same as the Montana.

Basecamp is great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that seems a bit sparse.

This is my OSM:
xtmap.jpg

Couldn't be arsed to use the screenshot function, sorry, and it just swtitched to the night colour scheme.

The thing I find strange is that the 'Topo Active Europe' map that comes standard with the XT is complied using Open Street Map data! https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/586905 have a look in the 'Overview' section. I have added an additional Open Street Map to my XT & to be honest the difference in map detail is almost indistinguishable. Sadly, as Berin points out Ordnance Survey maps are not recognised by the XT, I found this one out by swapping the card from my Montana.

For offroad, I would use the OSM maps, or those Thorn ones you use, since it looks like the garmin OS maps don't work. But, I think as you concluded, it's not the best for offroad so for me the primary use will be road - but, I do want to be able to follow tracks. I saw the thing Wilbjr21 mentioned, to get thicker tracks by modifying the theme.

By converting the track to a route in basecamp, you can view it as a trip on the XT. It doesn't recalculate. It doesn't make much difference, really, if it works the same way as the Montana and the old Zumo, it just means you follow the fat magenta track and can countdown distance to the end of the track on the XT dash.

I think the blue dot are shaping points, and I think they can be removed during the track to route conversion process - Wapping and I found a way to do this in answer to another question, but I've forgotten how it was done.

But, when you send the route from Basecamp, which was converted using Direct routing, that switches the XT to off road (i.e. direct) mode, so you have to navigate to the start of the track then switch to the imported trip.

The OSM map in my photo is the one I use offroad. Bought online from https://www.the-thorns.org.uk/mapping/

And does it work offroad?
So it doesn't try to recalculate? Are the blue dots waypoints?

Explain me like I'm 5 :D

it just means you follow the fat magenta track and can countdown distance to the end of the track on the XT dash

Ah ok.
That's fine, it is an improvement over just displaying them on the map.

But, I think as you concluded, it's not the best for offroad so for me the primary use will be road

Same.
I'm using the XT on the GS and I'm now using another bike for green lanes, and on that one I use the old 60CSx anyway.

Thanks for the info!
I'll give it a go tomorrow.

This thread was about communication difficulties, between Basecamp and the Garmin XT. It has gone off course (just saying)
Now 2022, and Mac Basecamp 4.8.11 (the most up to date from the Appstore ) will not, in any way communicate with my brand new XT
(Garmin Express settings changed, so that it does not load automatically). I've tried No Garmin Express, and Garmin Express open(and communicating ) , shutting Express down .
No success to date after many attempts
(I notice that 4.8.12 is available from Garmin website , so will try that shortly)
Does anyone, in this collective source of wisdom, have any successful way of achieving Basecamp-XT communication and transfers on a Mac ?

p.s. please don't knock Basecamp; I love Basecamp

Does anyone, in this collective source of wisdom, have any successful way of achieving Basecamp-XT communication and transfers on a Mac ?

I have no idea about MAC's, but I do use SCDB for cameras and for the XT they have the following note, if its relevant:
Note for Garmin zumo XT (Mac):
The Garmin zumo XT is based on Android. Mac Finder doesn't display the device. Download and use Android File Transfer to connect zumo XT to the Mac computer.

This thread was about communication difficulties, between Basecamp and the Garmin XT. It has gone off course (just saying)
Now 2022, and Mac Basecamp 4.8.11 (the most up to date from the Appstore ) will not, in any way communicate with my brand new XT
(Garmin Express settings changed, so that it does not load automatically). I've tried No Garmin Express, and Garmin Express open(and communicating ) , shutting Express down .
No success to date after many attempts
(I notice that 4.8.12 is available from Garmin website , so will try that shortly)

p.s. please don't knock Basecamp; I love Basecamp

My Basecamp is the same version and able to connect to my XT. Takes a while but it gets there.

I have no idea about MAC's, but I do use SCDB for cameras and for the XT they have the following note, if its relevant:
Note for Garmin zumo XT (Mac):
The Garmin zumo XT is based on Android. Mac Finder doesn't display the device. Download and use Android File Transfer to connect zumo XT to the Mac computer.

Yes I have Android file transfer ( which allows me to see the XT) but does not make it visible to Basecamp

I’ve trawled them net and one “simple solution “ suggestion is ‘try a different computer usb socket”. I have two usbc’’s on MacBook , so I guess worth a try
My Navigator connects to Basecamp first time , every time as soon as Express is closed.

No that's too long.

I'll have another go tomorrow and report back to you.

Thanks wilbjr21 , but yours is communicating and mine refuses. I’m tearing my hair out , but there must be a solution . Completely disabling Express seemed like the solution , but wasn’t.

Yes I have Android file transfer ( which allows me to see the XT) but does not make it visible to Basecamp

The XT will establish a single connection at a time.
Eg: if it connects to Express, and then you launch BaseCamp, then it would not connect to Basecamp unless you disconnect/reconnect it.

Android File Transfer is, at least on Mac (no idea if it exists on Windows or other platforms), a pile of shite.
It is intended for developers, not general usage.
It tends to override anything else and connect to any Android device, thus blocking other software.

I'd try to remove it and see what happens.

Ok willing to try . I will remove Android file transfer

Back
Top Bottom