cleaning

geoff48h

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
i am not a great bike cleaner, what do people use to clean between the fins on the r9t urban, is there anything i can just spray on them to get them back to black and shining again, i am opening myself for piss taking but may get one good tip out of it :okay:nenau

When the bike is cold spray the whole engine with wurth 2040 or something like , leave for a while then wash off with soapy water and brush. Cleans up a treat. I'm like you and hate cleaning , i only do it when they are filthy.

i am not a great bike cleaner, what do people use to clean between the fins on the r9t urban, is there anything i can just spray on them to get them back to black and shining again, i am opening myself for piss taking but may get one good tip out of it :okay:nenau

Ive always used S-doc 100. Much better than stuff like muc-off

To make the fins go "back to black", clean the bike first, then apply S100 Colour Refresher.

A small test tube brush is great for getting between fins.

After cleaning with S-DOC 100, I spray the heads & fins of my 1200GS (LC) with GT85 & use a cotton bud to work the spray into the area between the fins.

I’m pretty good about keeping the bikes clean, or should I say cleaning them after they’ve got dirty. Over the years I’ve found the cleaning strength of propriety bike cleaners has got weaker and weaker. However diligent you are in cleaning, when the bikes dry ( I use an air dryer), there’s always some dirt residue. I use Silkolene bike prep. A very fine mist covers up a lot of sins, leaves the bike easier to clean next time as dirt is less likely to stick and helps protect from corrosion. I’m sure other products do the same but Silkolene works for me.

I’m pretty good about keeping the bikes clean, or should I say cleaning them after they’ve got dirty. Over the years I’ve found the cleaning strength of propriety bike cleaners has got weaker and weaker. However diligent you are in cleaning, when the bikes dry ( I use an air dryer), there’s always some dirt residue. I use Silkolene bike prep. A very fine mist covers up a lot of sins, leaves the bike easier to clean next time as dirt is less likely to stick and helps protect from corrosion. I’m sure other products do the same but Silkolene works for me.

I use GT85 in the same way, I find the bike cleans up easier.

Having used GT85 on the cylinders I have found it seems to attract the dirt, hardens and is a pig to remove.
Current clean has involved a small wedge of wood, wrapped in cloth and brake cleaner to remove the thin layer of baked crud.

As with all of the above I also use a tooth brush ( not my currant one I must add) to get between the fins to agitate what waver cleaning products you use

TIW Brushes

Try using twisted in wire brushes (bottle brush) come in all sizes, RS components have a 10 mm and 20 mm on their site. Juts make sure the end has either a plastic cap or is a rounded end otherwise you will scratch the hell out of the bike.
I use a larger bottle brush for doing the spokes and the wheel hub.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 300

Back
Top Bottom